Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Island of Unloved Battle Rifles

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, May 1, 2014.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

You're all probably waiting for the results of the great satchel charge rattlesnake raid on the old drug cache Lucy found. Raid number one turned out to be a disappointment. The Tannerite comes in 1/2 pound canisters and the fellows on YouTube just tape them together into a long tube and shoot one, which sets all the others off in a simultaneous detonation of epic proportions.
    Except, when I did that the top canister assploded and just burst a number of the others below without actually detonating them. It just threw unburned/unassploded Tannerite dust down into the hole. I fished the three intact canisters out (1 1/2 pounds) and tried again. I got a somewhat satisfying detonation, but it just blew dust skyward and did little damage to the drug bunker itself.
    Worse, it turns out both my cameras automatically turn off at the ten minute mark (who knew?), so I didn't even get that minimal explosion on film.
    In raid two I will put all the Tannerite in a single container (or maybe two containers since I have a matching pair of faux whiskey stoneware jugs). We'll try again in a few days. Whether I use one or two of these quart stoneware jugs will depend on how much Tannerite I have left. There's a guy in Bisbee that sells black powder, but I'd rather leave the ATF out of this and stick with legal bombs.

Operation drug bunker, raid two, is now in the works.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Limiting yourself to binary explosives? But just think of the missed opportunities.....

Terry D and KodiakBeer like this.
  3. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Have you tried schedule 40 sewer pipe? Works well. Maybe some 4" pipe cut about 10" long and sealed on the end? Or longer depending ..............

KodiakBeer likes this.
  4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I really like that movie!

I think stoneware with copious amounts of duct tape will do the job. If I do go over and buy five pounds of black powder to 'enhance" the explosion with the heavily duct-taped second jug, there will be no written record of that. If there's anything Hillary Clinton has taught me, it's Plausible Deniability, and computer security of course. I've even changed my Password to password with a small 'p' to foil any ATF infiltrators. There's a loose piece of corrugated steel lying nearby that will make a semi-serious armored shield, especially if bent in half. It won't protect me from angry snakes falling from the sky, but one can only do so much when blowing up hundreds of neuro and hemotoxic reptiles.

5. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Just be sure to stay back, waaay back, know a guy who 'thought' he was a sufficient distance, say 50 yards, and 2lbs gave him a nice splattering of mud, muck and sticks. Make it rain it did. I think he had (unintentionally) set up a shaped charge. Only problem is he didn't notice which direction. I was a good 700 yards away and felt the house shake. I'm assuming it was 2lbs because he said the 4 pounder didn't go off.
    Suggest 200 yards with tracers :) ?

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

Biak likes this.
  7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The saving grace here is that since it is a hole of unknown depth, the bulk of the material should fly skyward. Physics or magic or something like that... That doesn't mean it can't fall down on me, but falling debris is coming own at a slower pace than horizontally projected debris and I'll be well away from the detonation, a hundred yards or more with something over my head, I'll still need vertical and horizontal cover but probably not something like real armor. There's a horrible video of an idiot blowing up a lawnmower with Tannerite and a chunk completely severs his leg from (I think) 33 yards.
    The tough part of this one is that since I want the detonation *in* the hole to blow all the support skyward to prevent this from ever being a drug cache again, I need the charge down inside. On my first try I just taped a bunch of containers together (think tennis ball container, but twice the length) with only about 4 inches visibly projecting from the top. That didn't work, at all. Most of the Tannerite failed to go off.
    This time I may use a big cone shaped Victorian era iron cylinder that I found lying around - a heavy old piece of irrigation piping or something. I'm going to place the explosives down in the hole and then using the wide end of that heavy cone as a target, try to ricochet the round down into the explosive. The only flaw in the plan is that 5.56 FMJs might just pierce that iron, heavy as it is, instead of ricocheting down that narrowing tube into the bomb. We'll see...

8. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

The 'target' mentioned above was a beaver dam with the tannerite placed just above the water line. Plenty of wet stuff mixed in with sticks and packed mud. The blast made more of an indentation in the wall of the dam, which was a good three feet across. Next time they're thinking 5 pounds.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I have a jug of Platte Valley on the booze rack.

BTW, don't get involved with wildlife in the lower 48. Two friends built a place in Montana a few years back. They're in an enclave of like-minded lunatics. The issue was they built a year-round hot tub on their deck. And when it got cold a bear discovered how nice and warm it was under the deck. The Fish and Game people warned them not to mess with the bear, so they're housing a free-loader for the winter. And the F&S guy says 50-50 she's preggers.

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Rattlesnakes are of least concern to wildlife folks, except for a few rare subspecies like the blacktail rattler. Otherwise, they are so numerous you can kill as many as you want since there are a hundred non-venomous snakes to keep rodents in check. I don't even know if there are snakes down there, though it sure looks like a winter rattlesnake den. I have a new dog and I'd like to keep it alive. If I blow two dozen snakes out of that hole, I'll be pleased as punch.

11. OpanaPointer

Yeah, had a go with a taipan once. I was more dangerous than he.

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]
    They are protected...

13. OpanaPointer

Not when they're messing with me.

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude Patron  

This one is for you KB!

[​IMG]

I was going to post it in the Pun thread, but I figured it would get more mileage here.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

A Salt Colt...one could pepper many a target with that thing!