Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Italian Navy during World War II

Discussion in 'Naval War in the Mediterrean, Malta & Crete' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Aug 15, 2008.

1. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

The real british forces were just a small part of the allies. People who hide this detail do only a mere propaganda.

2. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

Nobody denies the defeat of the RSI, but I want only to say that who signed the alliance with Germany (Mussolini and the fascists) never changed side and never signed an armistice till the end. This detail is often forgotten and Italy is described as a country of traitors concerning the WW2.
    It's absolutely false, the people who celebrated the allies coming were since the beginning anti fascist.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I was unaware that the many sources provided by many persons on the forum was mear propaganda. You have been asked to provide a source for your information, which you have failed to do. This only leaves us to believe that you yourself have fallen victim to propaganda.

4. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

What I write is so real that wouldn't have the need of supports.
    However you can read the site:
    www.comandosupremo.com

It's a real balanced description of WW2, saved from any propaganda expecially from the famous british one.

5. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Funny how its always "propaganda" when it goes against someone's views isn't it :rolleyes: ? I have noticed that some who come here think that they are bringing us the "truth" or are fighting "propaganda". They don't last long here. BTW In my last post I provided the source from where I got the info from. Oddly enough it is one source where part of his information came from.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Does it matter so much that you bring it up in each and every post?

I would suggest strongly that you find another drum to beat and stop denigrating the important work of the British Allies.

7. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

I don't deny the british support, but they were a small part of all the allies forces, who can deny it? It's not fair to forget the indians, the south africans, the new zealanders, the australians, the french and over melting everything under the name british led from Montgomery.

8. Slipdigit

Attacked you? You've not seen an attack, but you may.

There is not a soul in this forum who has ever stated that British Army was made up entirely of Britons. That has been long understood.

My concern is your harping on the subject.

You have been asked, now I am telling you. Do not bring it up again.

9. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

Ok, so let's call them currectly "allies", not british army, to avoid misunderstandings and to give honour to all the countries that fought in the WW2.

10. Slipdigit

I'll call them what I dang well please and the membership is welcomed to do the same.

11. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

Ok, you can do it but don't be surprised if somebody won't understand what you say. The history is not an opinion, it is real and precise facts.

12. Slipdigit

I'll take the chance.

Let's move on, shall we?

13. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

It's ok, after all the forums are made to discuss.

14. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

I don't really know what is in your mind, but making false accusations to a respected (they all are) Moderator of this forum is usually not the wisest course, but you'll know what's best for you. Have you noticed that little red flame on your screen?

Forums are made to discuss, yes, but we appreciate hard facts, not airy opinions or phantasies. I'm logging out of this thread, it appears not much of use will come of it anyway.

Thank you for your time, no need to reply because I won't be reading it.

15. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

In order to keep this thread open I suggest we just ignore him. I don't want it closed because of someone with an agenda.

16. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

Sorry, maybe I haven't understood the rules of this forum. Why have I a red flame? Why having a discussion with a moderator is a fault? What are my fantasies? Answer me, so I can learn how to do.

17. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Since this thread is called the Italian Navy during WWII we shall stick with naval information. That is quite in impressive list you supplied about British ships sunk in the Med but let us focus on fleet engagements as opposed to mainly single ship actions (mostly between Italian destroyers and British subs, which of course I would bet on a destroyer any day).
    Battle of Calabria
    the first naval engagement between Italy and Britain. Britain suffers 1 light cruiser and two destroyers severly damaged to Italy’s 1 battleship, 1 heavy cruiser, and 1 destroyer heavily damaged. The battle is generally considered a draw, though it is worthy to note that Italy did hold numerical superiority. Here is some further reading on the subject.
    Action off Calabria

Battle of Taranto
    A raid on the Italian Navy in port, the British launched a raid which would heavily influence the Japanese raid on Pearl Harbor. While in port the Italians suffered one battleships sunk, Two more damaged, and a light cruiser damaged
    Battle of Taranto - Raid on Taranto - Italian Navy at Taranto - British Attack on Taranto - World War II - WWII Raid on Taranto

Battle of Cape Matapan
    Here Italy suffered a devistating defeat. Lossing three cruisers and two destroyer. In addition the battleship Vittorio Veneto was heavily damaged. The italian fleet was only able to lightly damage a few british cruisers.
    Cape Matapan : Battles : History : Royal Navy

EDIT: Sorry JC, just noticed your post. Hadn't refreshed in a while.

Za Rodinu likes this.
  18. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

No prob there Mike. And thanks for the info related to the original subject :) .

19. THE_TRUTH_HURTS

THE_TRUTH_HURTS Member

Granted that the italian navy hadn't the radar, problem that caused disasters like Taranto when the battleships didn't see the british airforce, granted that in Italy there were the anti fascists who transmitted to Alexandria and to London the informations that permitted to the british to intercept the italian fleets, granted that the italians had lacks of supplies like the fuel differently from the british who were supported in every possible way from the allies, I can list the italian winning battles (excluding the single ones one to one previously listed), fought in the Mediterranean sea:

- FIRST BATTLE OF SIRTE
    - SECOND BATTLE OF SIRTE
    - MID JUNE
    - MID AUGUST

20. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

The first Battle of Sirte was inconclusive. A superior Italian fleet disengaged and fled after an hour, failing to sink anything.

The second Battle of Sirte is considered by all except Italians (due to propaganda of the time?) to have been a tactical success for the British.

By mid-August are you referring to Operation Pedestal? Again, this is a naval thread. Land based air attack does not count. There was no major fleet action. though I will admit the MTB's preformed well in the early morning hours of the 13th.

I have no Idea what you mean by mid-June