Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Jewish Brigade

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by Mahross, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Dear Ron, reading your blog was the most poignant thing I have encountered in quite some time. Your family history is most notable. Five brothers in the war is most notable. I am so sorry to read of the brother that did not survive the war. Thank your family for their service.

Gaines

3. Ron Goldstein

Thanks for that !

You didn't say which of these two blogs you liked, I presume the second one ?

Best regards

Ron
    Ron Goldstein's Actual Army Album

Ron Goldstein's Army Album

4. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I am as much interested in social history as I am in military history so I enjoyed both immensely. I grew up on a farm near Selma , Alabama and we attended school and church in town. My best friend was Jewish so we went to synagogue as often as the Episcopal Church. We remain close to this day and both of us are 72. I recently designed a house for a really bright Jewish woman who moved from New York to my current small town. Her great grandmother, one of four children, grew up Poland and her father sent her to New York at 15. ....alone. He could only afford one passage. She traveled by rail to Odessa where relatives lived and then by freighter with a few berths to NY where distant relatives had preceded her. No member of the Polish family survived WW2.

I imagine warfare intensifies feelings and emotions to the highest degree but the human condition never ceases to amaze me.That was a brave young woman on that sojourn. I have a great feeling for Passover, upon us, and a love for Jewish traditions. Again thank you for your postings. It tells how dull my life has been ! For which I an thankful.

5. Ron Goldstein

I'm sure that most of know about the Confucius "curse" that says "May you be born in interesting times !"

As someone in his 88th year I was born 5 years after the end of the Great War and was aged just 16 at the outbreak of WW2.

This alone, I believe, qualifies me for having lived in interesting times.

During my lifetime, I have witnessed many wonderful things (and many things that I could have done without !) and have always considered that it was the right and proper thing to record only the un-blemished truth as I remember experiencing it at the time in question.

The key word, of course, is remember and I was fortunate enough to have kept diaries & albums to substantiate my writings.

My profile shown below details the areas in which I served and I am always willing to discuss the warfare that took place in those places with the caveat that as a very lowly ranker I knew nothing of the greater order of things but just did what I was told to do and went where I was sent :)

Ron