Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Karl-Otto Alberty Appreciation Thread.

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Otto, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I just wanted to pay tribute to one the best and most evil looking "nazis" ever to show his scarred face on the silver screen. He almost never played a leading role in any film, but his unique blond & brute look gave him the role of the "nazi" in many a classic WWII film. I'm speaking of none other than the man currently featured in my avatar, Mr. Karl-Otto Alberty.

Probably best known as the menacing German Tiger Tank Commander in Kelly's Heroes [1970], he played a series of German combatants in other films, including Steinach (the man who captures Roger Bartlett) in The Great Escape [1963], Luftwaffe Chief of Staff Gen. Jeschonnek in Battle of Britain [1969], Capt. Heinz Schroeder in Raid on Rommel (1971) and had an uncredited role in The Devil's Brigade [1968], as well as plenty of other German roles.

From Wikipedia:

"He started out as an amateur boxer before discovering a talent for acting, making his debut at the City Theatre in Konstanz in 1959. He then began to take supporting roles in films. He made his first appearance in English-language films as a German officer (who captures Richard Attenborough) in The Great Escape (1963). With his broad face, broken nose and distinctive white-blond hair, he would go on to play variations on the role of the brutal Nazi in a series of films, notably The Battle of the Bulge (1965), Luchino Visconti's The Damned (1969), and Kelly's Heroes (1970). He also continued to work in both Germany and Italy in a wide variety of films from dramas and comedies to spaghetti westerns. He also made regular appearances on German television. His last appearance was in the TV series War and Remembrance (1988). He has been variously credited as Charles Albert, Charles Alberty and Carlo Alberti."

Ladies and Gentlemen; Karl-Otto Alberty. :tennisclap:

Attached Files:

2. JKilts

JKilts Member

So I have him to be mad at. I liked Roger, he was my favorite character in The Great Escape.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Otto, if you ever get the chance to watch both: The Winds of War and War and Remembrance, K.O. Alberty appears in several of the episodes in this some 50 hour long movie. Anyway, he at first is seen in one or more episodes in: The Winds of War, and he is shown as somekind of a nazi "official"' who while attending a Spanish club of some type, he drinks a bit too much and starts becoming a rude and loud-a$$hole. He forces the Spanish Troubador into playing and singing "O Solo Mio" and insults Byron Henry's (Jan-Michael Vincent) Fiancee: a lady by the name of: Natalie Jastrow (Ali McGraw, and who is very pretty and its easy to see why Steve McQueen fell in love with her) who happens to be an American born Polish-Jew. So after she is unsulted by Alberty's character, Jan-Michael Vincent (Byron Henry) gets up and walks over to him and punches him in the mouth. Great great scenes.

Anyway, one might think that that's the last you might see of the Alberty character-no-you also see him in a few episodes of: War and Remembrance. It turns out that he is a Waffen SS NCO - and who meets up with: Natalie Jastrow later on at one of the Jewish Ghettos somewhere in Poland. He plays a perfect nazi-prick. Anyway, in War and remembrance: Natalie Jastrow is not played by Ali McGraw but she was replaced by: Jane Seymour who was younger and was of the age needed for that role. Ever since I first saw her in War and Remembrance, I have been a fan of hers.

4. bigfun

bigfun Ace

I have yet to see this but in looking up his film credits I see he was in Slaughter House Five form the Kurt Vonnegut book! He was great in Kelly's Heroes!! One of my favorite films! He plays a great villain!

5. Otto

Thanks for the information and scene descriptions gentlemen. I was actually aware of his other roles, but I like the Kelly's Heroes one the best. K-O Alberty is one of my favorite actors, specifically because he fills that "brutal aryan nazi" role so well. I wonder what he's doing these days, where he's living or even if he is still acting? It seems he hasn't acted in a while, IMDB lists his last work in 1988, 19 years ago! :eek:

I would kill for an autographed photo of him.

Where are you now, Karl-Otto Alberty?

6. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That thick neck, those piggy eyes, the arrogant sneer and the duelling scar....when I was in Nuremberg last weekend, I noticed that all German men look exactly like that ! :eek:

Mind you, I kept getting odd looks wearing a knotted scarf and a flat cloth cap, saying 'Cor Blimey, Guv'nor - strike a bl**dy light !' and asking waiters for a pint o' Watneys Red Barrel wiv me fish'n'chips.....;)

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A great actor. I wouldn't stop my car if I saw a hitch hiker like him. I hope he's still in good health, he must be at least in his sixties now if not more.

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

It is ironic Otto that after I saw his photo as your avatar I did some research and discovered the same info you posted up on top. I would like to know if he ended up as a HJ?

I like him in his role in "The Great Escape" when he captures the character Bartlett, "You German is good and so is your French, HANDS UP!".

[​IMG]

ralflor likes this.
  9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Otto, speaking of autographed photos of him. Though it's been a few years, I remember that one was for sale on this site: Captain Bijou's Online Catalog This guy gets some interesting and hard-to-get autographs from time-to-time. Back in I think 1992? I bought an autographad business card that was signed on the back side by: Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington of: VMF-214th The Blacksheep Squadron fame. The otherside was the address and info for his Aviation business. Scored it then for what I thought was a cheap price of $40.00. I bought this from the dealer of the posted link. Anyway, if he currently does not have one, he might do a search for you.

ralflor likes this.
  10. Otto

Thanks for the tip Carl. I ran a search on that website for our man Alberty, no dice. Maybe I'll contact him and see what is out there.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome my friend and i'll also keep eyes peeled for you when im on a few other sites. One thing really good about Captain Bijou, is that his business has been around for probably 20 or more years possibly more than 30. Anyway, the owner is well-established and has an excellent reputation. I met him once at a gun show here in C.C. and almost came away with an autographed business card belonging to Manfred von Richthofen (aka) The Red Baron. C.B. had this card professionally mounted along with a nice -sized repo photo of him and a nice brief bio all framed together. Unfortunately at that time, I did not have an extra $800.00 to spare and I had just spent $425.00 for another Walther P-38 pistol. ;-))

12. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

13. Otto

A member after my own heart! :heartbeat:

That's not me Jeff even though he is a partial namesake of mine. I do however also post under the usernames Carl Evans, Erich, Kai Petri & Martin Bull and I am responsible for about 50,000 posts and counting. ;)

I must say I do wish that this member would return and see this thread. It seems like something he would certainly be interested in.

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

My medical advice is that starting medication is not enough; we need to operate urgently...

;) ;)

15. CrossofIron

CrossofIron recruit

I would love to know where he is now.He was my favourite Nazi in all Films.

16. Otto

:bump: for Karl-Otto Alberty!

What a great scene this is!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, the above IS a great scene.

K.O-Alberty: "You, ze American Army."
    Oddball: "No baby we aint. You know what's in that bank sweetheart? There's 16 million bucks in that bank."
    Big Joe: "That's 85 MILLION Marks."
    Kelly: ""All you have to do to get some of that gold, is to blow a hole right through those doors."

BOOM!!.

18. Otto

Just wanted to :bump: this thread.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  19. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

He was the quintessential German of filmdom. One of those guys so d_mn ugly as to be “ruggedly handsome” to the females and scare the Be-gesus out of the guys.

20. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I watched Karl-Otto tonight in The Battle of Britain. He was our usual ol' Karl-Otto.