Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The LAHTI

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Cate Blanchett, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Cate Blanchett

Cate Blanchett recruit

Fellows.....

I have always wanted to see a picture of a Finnish weapon of most excellent quality. An ATR (anti-tank-rifle) of Finn manufacture called the LAHTI. 20mm and an automatic, I'm told this powerful weapon was produced in small numbers, and was simply one of the best infantry weapons of WW2. I have not seen nor heard of any examples in private collections, although the very quality of this piece makes it a collectors dream to own.....

From the Finns on this site, what can you tell me of the Lahti....it's manufacture and performance....how the Finns themselves used it and whether any working examples still exist. A picture or two would be helpful.

Thanks to all...........hope to hear from you soon.....

2. higge

higge Member

[​IMG]

If you mean this, I will put some info from it soon. I'll have to take kids to school now

3. Cate Blanchett

Cate Blanchett recruit

Hmmm....

The only picture of a LAHTI I've ever seen showed it mounted on a ski-tow....and this picture does not look as if the weapon is 20mm (too small).
    To my knowledge, the magazine was of the box type rather than semi-circular, and it was about five feet in length.....come to think of it, the magazine was also fed from ABOVE....so maybe this is not the weapon mentioned....maybe it is....as I say, western knowledge of this weapon is not really at a premium, and my knowledge of this weapon is smaller than most...........

4. higge

higge Member

5. Cate Blanchett

Cate Blanchett recruit

YEP....thats a LAHTI alright........beautiful weapon..... good for sub-zero conditions like Russian weapons, and made to the highest standards that Finn manufacturers could. I understand this weapon was actually used as a SNIPER weapon, at VERY long range, to knock off tank commanders silly enough to wish to ride along with open hatches. It would be interesting to see just how many of these weapons Finland produced during WW2, and also, how many examples still exist today. I know they are very PRIZED by collectors, and working examples of this weapon can still be found all over the Northern hemisphere. True excellence in infantry support weapons!

6. higge

higge Member

This is from http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-14858.html

"The Finnish 20mm Lahti anti tank gas-operated self-loading rifle of 1939. 10-round box magazine clipped into the top of the receiver. Lahti has a rack and pinion rotary cocking handle, a rotating muzzle brake and two bipods. There were only 1906 of this rifle ever produced.

Calibre: 20 mm
    Length: 240 cm
    Magazine: 10 Rd.
    Weight: 43 kg"

7. Cate Blanchett

Cate Blanchett recruit

UNDER 2000 produced......my word!........what a collectors DREAM to own one of these weapons.....................I'll see if I can dredge up something of the way Finnish soldiers used this remarkable weapon!

Great stuff, higge!