Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The last battle on British soil?

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JulioMoc, Aug 28, 2010.

1. JulioMoc

JulioMoc Member

Billeted at a pub on the Kent coast, they had been ordered to capture any German aircrew shot down in the countryside. But the men of the 1st Battalion London Irish Rifles were to carve themselves a little-known place in military history: they fought the last ever battle to take place on the British mainland.

Graveney Marsh: Last Battle in Britain finally remembered after 70 years | Mail Online

It is expected that 60 members of the London Irish Rifles Regimental Association will attend the event at Seasalter, on Sunday, September 26.

Is anyone here planning to be there?

2. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Channel islands, I'd have to think that operations there took place long after this incident?

KTK

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

There was a commando raid on Sark in 1942:

Operation Basalt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, the Channel Islands weren't invaded by the Allies (they were bypassed), and they surrendered in 1945.

Nice article though, and I think it's correct in saying "last battle on mainland Britain"

4. JulioMoc

JulioMoc Member

From Wikipedia:

The Channel Islands (Norman: Îles d'la Manche, French: Îles Anglo-Normandes or Îles de la Manche) are an archipelago of British Crown Dependencies in the English Channel, off the French coast of Normandy. They include two separate bailiwicks: the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Bailiwick of Jersey, neither of which is part of the United Kingdom.

Channel Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Vladd

Vladd Member

They also aren't mainland Britain

6. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

How about the Falklands? Are they not considered to be British soil? Funny how 3 guys in a shot down plane can be considered to be a battle?

KTK

7. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

I would hardly refer to this as a "Battle".....more like a skirmish.

8. JulioMoc

JulioMoc Member

That's not the point... battles occured in Singapore, Somaliland, India, and so on, still in WW2. The article is about a battle in mainland United Kingdom, not domains and Commonwealth.

About the second part: where is the line between a battle and a skirmish? Could anyone clarify that to us?

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I was going to say "Strangeways", but I think that would be wrong?

10. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

I believe the title of the thread was " Last battle on British soil". Now unless I am mistaken "British soil" is to be found all over the world. And not only on the "home island'

I'm pretty sure a quick search will give us a definition of a "battle" but again I'm pretty sure the term battle is normally used to indicate a greater force than 3 or 4 guys. Unless of course it is a " Battle Royal" in the wrestling ring.:D

I think this headline and article was created with a little "literary license" used to sell newspaper.

KTK

11. JulioMoc

JulioMoc Member

Okay... we're discussing two separate things: the title and the actual content. We all know the sensational headlines used in British newspapers, but again, wasn't it the last armed ground confrontation between two opposing forces on Great Britain?

12. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

I did find this definition of a battle.

battle [ˈbætəl]
    n 1. (Military) a fight between large armed forces; military or naval engagement; combat
    2. conflict; contention; struggle his battle for recognition
    (Military) do, give, or join battle to start fighting

I think the term is normally used to indicate a fight between large groups but I imagine that 2 people could do battle, such as in the battle of the sexes, one that I have been on the losing end of for years.:D

KTK