Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Last Knight of Flanders

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by Gibson, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Gibson

Gibson Member

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764305883/qid%3D1017386087/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/102-3774021-0647353

I got the book off Tollehaus (posted Amazon's site so you could see reviews) and even though Im only 100 pages into the book, it has been a truely engrossing read. Carl, Im not sure if you said you have or have not read this book, but I am absolutely loving it!

It centers around Remy Schrijnen and the SS-Legion Flandern and later Sturmbrigade Langemarck, an SS volunteer group composed primarily of Flemings. It gives a history of the division and its main proponents - Remy and his comrades. It is unlike anything I have read before actually... I cant quite put my finger on what exactly this goes under. It can fit into unit history, autobiography, somewhat of a biography of the surviving veterans, and a book describing battles on the Ostfront.

I highly recommend this. It has been a flawless read and very exciting. There are several pictures scattered throughout the book, and histories of many men of the sturmbrigade.

It illistrates what a character Remy is too! [​IMG]

Carl, if you've read this, which I suspect you have, please share your thoughts. Although Im not even halfway done, I would like to hear your views on the book!

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Gibson, you are quite correct--I did read it (more than once in the year 2000) and not only did I read it but, I took it with me to Germany for the express purpose of having Remy autograph it (which he did)

Remy autographed my copy by signing every photo of him in the book and writing a page of comments and personalizing my copy with his letter. I think he even signed the books cover too.

Remy then gave me several photos of him (signed) and personalized to me, and gave me a very large format photo of him (signed) which is a photo of him in his dress tunic--tho photo was a posed one which was a formal studio photo taken of him.

Before I do make any comments on the book, check this out: My friend Susanne and I, spent the entire day with Remy and his wife Joanna in Hagen.

Susanne and I made our way up 4 flights of stairs to his apartment which he was waiting for us at the door. We shook hands and I kissed his wifes hand (to which she blushed and her cheeks turned a bit red--and they both loved that) then we went to his livingroom--and boy, WHAT a livingroom he had!!

He has a hugh book collection that I would give all my teeth for--including his copy of The Last Knight of Flanders. He showed me his RKT address book--which I actually have more addresses to RKTs than he did. He gave me a few I didnt have and I let him get what he didnt have. This is where I got addresses to Viktor Vitali--Paul-Albert Kausch (Remys lifelong and best friend who sadly passed away a few months ago) and Kam Soeren among others.

One of the first things he offered was a bottle of Bier--which Susanne took and i had a glass of Cognac. Then his wife made Coffee, and we all had some Cognac in it--which was very good.

His wife cooked lunch which was Goulash--a meat-potatos and gravy dish. We had wine with lunch, then Remy and I went to retire to his livingroom while the ladies spent about an hour together in the kitchen.

Remy was busy signing my copy and I was allowed to take pictures of all his stuff on display in the livingroom. There were paintings of him(which are published in the book, plus all kinds of vet reunion plates and things, and large photos of people like Leon De Grelle, and other Waffen SS Personalities.

Located right next to his library is a showcase full of things people send to him as gifts. Plus his Knights Cross and all his decorations are mounted on a black felt pillow with his unit collar tab and 2 cufftitles at the bottom.

Someone sent him a hand made metal sculpture of a Waffen SS NCO (Remy) in a combat type scene. I gave him a personalized .999 silver coin with a Lion on the obverse and a private message on the reverse side. Remy honored me by permanently placing my gift to him right next to his Knights Cross. I also gave him a 3 place stickpin (an original) that had an EK1 and EK2 and a black wound badge. Remy then asked his wife to go get his stickpin which had an RK with both grades of the EK his Gold Wound Badge and his Infantry Assault Badge on it.

As another surprise--he went and got his M-42 cap that he is shown wearing in that pincil drawing that was done of him when he was in prison just after the war ended. I have a few photos of Remys M-43 cap including one with me wearing it. :D The photo of the drawing of him wearing it is also in the book.

We then ate supper and had wine.

Back to the livingroom.

I took several photos of him and his wife and Susanne, then we looked at a few of his photo albums. Some of the photos were very nicely done under the conditions and would also be worth a fortune to collectors.

I saw a few photos that he himslef took of russian T-34s passing his position with in about 15 feet. I saw some great combat shost as well. I would give my teeth for these photos too.

Finally it was about 1 am and Susanne and I were exausted--I was suffering from jetlag, so we decided to leave--they invited us to stay-but we had already paid for our hotel rooms there in Hagen.

I absolutely loved his book and could not put it down either when I read it. I forced myself to quit at 100 pages--so I would not finish it in one sitting. (I did the same when I was reading Otto Giese's book: "Shooting The War" only I allowed myself 1 chapter a day--so I wouldnt read it too quickly--though I wanted to read more.

This book is easily one of my all-time favorites as well as Otto's book.

I absolutely loved reading about some of his personal stories. Remy being only just over 5 feet tall--is the toughest and bravest man I have ever met. He is now in his 80's, and he could still easily man his AT gun and destroy russian T-34's.

Anyway--im glad you are enjoying his book as much as I did. If you ever get a chance to go to Hagen, Germany--go visit him and his wife. This is ann experiance I will never forget.

3. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Gibson and Carl,

Have also read this book and have been lucky enough to have had my copy signed by Remy.It is a superb History about the Flemish SS Volunteers and particulary Remy,a man who was a great combat soldier and Panzerjaeger.
    I am hoping sometime in the near future to go to the Narva Battlefield to see where Remy's RK action took place.

Paul [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ok guys, I've stopped drooling now that I have read this fine thread......thanks ! I've got to go get a copy now. Carl, still haven't heard from Remmy yet. Think you are right, the mail got lost with the Christmas shuffle !

E

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Erich--NOW its MT time to be embarassed. I have been so fully into my new job that I completely forgot (again) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: to send Remy another letter for you. Ill try as soon as I can unless you wanna write him--lemme know and ill give you his address. Either that--or keep sending me reminders to write him. Oh BTW, I THOUGHT I had sent you my Uboat business (actually--its more of a calling card as I have no business) only to discover that I still have the unsent envelope on the visor in my car :rolleyes:

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Glad to hear you are working my friend. That is the main thing. No, please go ahead and write him if you would on my behalf. you know him and he probably gets enough mail from unknowns, so your chances are much better than mine. Sounds that he and his wife are in great health which is a blessing with as many vets of the war passing the way they are.

E

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Will do....I just hope it doesnt take me a month to think about it again. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Carl & Erich,

Heard from Remy about 2 weeks ago,in his letter he said that a lot of mail had gone missing or had been opened prior to it getting to him.Looks like some thief in the postal service has realised that a lot of people send him money through the post!
    He did say that he thought the problem was now sorted out.

Paul

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thanks Paul for the note. Why am I not surprised at this........people just want to share the love right ? ! ........geez !!

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Paul-Erich--thanks for letting me know. I was WONDERING why some of my letters to him had been unanswered and did figure that some jerk was messing with the mail--glad its confirmed that the problem should have been taken care of. I HATE it when some lazy buttwad--just HAS to screw over anyone--specially the vets :mad: Too bad the GESTAPO is a defunct organization--i'd love to see what they would do to such a creep as this thief.