Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

the Longest day

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Jun 18, 2006.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I would love to have a transcript of all the German dialog from the opening scenes of this classic ww2 war film can anyone here help me out? well heck the French dialog too. or if anyone just wants to discuss the film jump in. I landed at Omaha beach. not in 1944 but in 1984 in Ft. Sheridans beach front from one of three landing craft. it was one of the most awsome experiences of my life. those of you who missed it well tag along with us were going to fight the big war again. "Many men came here as soldiers...."

2. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    omaha

Was anyone shooting at you?

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Was anyone shooting at me ? well yes. with blanks of course. it seemed to me that the entire German Army was shooting at me. since this was a public battle with large crowds watching from the bluffs, i was ordered to take a hit immediately after i debarked from the landing craft i was wounded and called for a corpsman and was dragged to a beach obstacle and bandaged. whilst I was there I saw a German soldier sans his right arm which was lying in the sand severed. I asked what happened to him thinking one of the bunkers had exploded or something and they replied its plaster of Paris we got it from Fangoria. btw there is a famous picture of a middle aged soldier being dragged from the shoreline to a beach obstacle by medics just as I was , and that night I saw myself on TV on the evening news. yep it was me. " this is just the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put." lol, come on guys join us and have fun. girls too.

4. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    az abuv

Fascinating!
    I can't quite understand the 'pedantry' comment though, could you explain please?

5. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    pedantry

one of Winston Churchills aids found that the PM had ended a sentence with a preposition, and this is the comment that Winston made in reply, it just popped into my head upon being asked if anyone was shooting at me, im sure that they meant with live rounds but i answered like a reenactor. shooting at each other(with blanks) is what drives this hobby everyone wants some trigger time. pedantry is a perjorative toward intellectuals teacher types(like myself) and grad grinds. the idea of a reenactment without exchanges of gunfire has been tried but it just isnt as exciting

6. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    azabuv

WOW! you've lost me KP, I thought 'Sir Winston's 'aids' were,'Cigars, Whisky and a 'jock-Strap'!! :eek:

7. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: azabuv

Brandy, surely? ;)

8. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    aids to Sir Winston

Could be,but it was whisky when I went to dine with him! Nice Chap, didn't do too well at school though, couldn't spell, typical cavalry officer!

9. germanm36tunic

germanm36tunic New Member

via TanksinWW2
    WHAT IN THE WORLD

KP must be lost in translation. your guess is mine Merlin in what KP is saying.

10. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    pedantry

u arent supposed to end a sentence with a preposition or to put it another way, a preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with.

11. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    revised winston

this is the sort of pedantry I sHall not put up WITH. OR HOW about this one why did you bring me that book to read out of up for?