Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Merkava MBT

Discussion in 'Post-World War 2 Armour' started by Mutant Poodle, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Danyel Phelps

Danyel Phelps Active Member

via TanksinWW2
    KBO, you had no problem saying American tank crews were lying when I showed evidence of Shermans taking on Panthers. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

2. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sure go talk to some A-10 pilots for one :wink:

KBO

3. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Err where did i say that.....?? :-? please find that for me....

KBO

4. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was asking you to show I'm wrong.

5. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    He canĀ“t. This is probably based on a misunderstanding though. Firing the GAU-8 for as long as 10 seconds can cause an engine to stall by indigestion, as the gun expels 10-11 kg of used propellant per second. But it wont stall the aircraft.

6. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I wonder if this warning is listed in the A-10 instruction manual? Just kidding.
    First of all, which A-10 pilot in their right mind would press the trigger for 10 seconds? With its rate of fire, it would have probably meant expending half if not most of its ammo. Also, short-burst as we all known are usually more accurate and effective than long continuous bursts. Finally, even for a sturdy weapons platform like a A-10, continuous cage-rattling for 10 seconds is probably not healthy for the airframe.
    Notmi, how the heck did you come up with those calculations anyways? Quite impressive I must say, can you balance my checks for me?

7. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, I woudn't say its impressive, its just the work I've been doing this autumn. Teaching basic mechanics to engineerstudents.
    Now, how would you like me to balance your checks? I'm open to all arguments and willing to help anyone who needs it.

8. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Cool, now what's the fastest way to erase my $50,000 student loan debt? Just kidding, I am total mechanically-challenged, the only thing I am capable of is changing my car tires, I think.
    How long does it take to get an engineering degree?

9. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Fastest way to erase loan debt is to withdraw some money from bank with shotgun :) Just kidding.

We academic freedom here, so students can study whatever speed they wish. Maybe 5 year is the "goal" but talented and hardworking can make it much faster. Btw, I'm not engineerstudent, I study physics. Our department gives physics courses to engineers too.

I really want someone to challenge properly my calculations, because before they are properly checked and challenged by others, they aren't worth the paper they aren't printed on. This is something I learned about physics, theories are worthless until they are checked and proved by someone else.

10. 2ndLegion

2ndLegion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    "During war time being in those tanks is the most dangerous position you can have, however out of war time it is the safest place, while you might consider what Isreal is going through right now a war, you know that isn't the kind of war I was talking about so I was very safe"

That is what my cousin who served as a Tank Commander in the IDF told me when I asked him about being in a tank.

Things are not always as they apear.

11. DesertWolf

DesertWolf Member

via TanksinWW2
    Lets go back to the Merkava!

Anyways, I believe that the Merkava is an excellent tank design, especially the Mk4, but no tanks are invincible, especially against mines. In the greater picture, tanks can be very safe but sometimes they are lost. The reason i said the Mk4 is pretty impressive because its practically an improvement on an excellent Merkava design, the Mk3.

12. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I apologize if it's been mentioned before, but what's the production costs of the Merkava compared to the abrams, challengers, leopard or even the Black eagle?

13. 2ndLegion

2ndLegion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Significantly cheaper because it uses more basic but just as effective building technuques.

14. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Black Eagle isn't in service...

Can you tell me how much the costs of 1 Merk 4 is?

15. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Probably cheaper from the fact that it uses a more conventional armour than the Chobham-type most US/European MBTs use.

16. Jeffrey phpbb3

Jeffrey phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think the armor is about te cheapest material on a tank, its all about electronics these days. And the Merkava probably uses chobam-type armor too.

17. 2ndLegion

2ndLegion New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sure I will ask my Cousin next time he gets on leave from the army since he is a Tank Commander.

18. Varyag

Varyag New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Merkava is my favourite modern tank though I must admit for it's looks only, because I don't know enough about modern tanks to compare it to other tanks. Would you prefer the Merkava IV to let's say the Leopard 2? That troop compartement in the back of the Merkava is awfully practical.