Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Modelmaker's Handbook.

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Simonr1978, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've just recieved through the post a second-hand copy of this book. I originally read it when I was about 12 and many of the basic techniques for painting and assembling models I learned from this book.

The book itself is a bit dated, as the occasional pictures of real people in there show, but the main techniques for posing and reposing figures and assembling and painting vehicles remain the same now as they were then, even if perhaps the kits themselves may have changed.

The handbook covers pretty much everything, from figures (Including the basics on how to sculpt and cast your own lead figures), vehicles (Military, civilian and Trains), aircraft, ships and dioramas, even remote control models are covered.

Painting and assembling tips include weathering/aging and hints on making and painting accessories for vehicles.

Overall I like the book now as much as I did when I first read it. It's a useful handbook for the novice or moderately experienced modeller, probably not so much for an experienced modeller who's probably worked out techniques for themselves.

The copy I got was a second-hand hardback copy from Amazon that cost about £8. The book is titled "The Modelmaker's Handbook" and is by Albert Jackson and David Day.

Not as thorough or comprehensive a review as Ricky's review of Belton Y Cooper's Death Traps I admit, but then I haven't really had a chance to go through the book thoroughly yet and it's been a while since I last read it.