Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The movie hindenburg/real insignias or not?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by J.Mahoney, Jan 5, 2001.

1. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

I just watched the movie Hindenburg this morning. I noticed that Geroge C. Scott was supposedly a german airforce colonel. Was the insignia on his uniforn for real?

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I don't know, its been many years since I last saw that movie. I have it on tape, and will see if I can find it and watch it tonight.

3. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Hmm. I just saw part of that movie about two weeks ago. That's a tough one. However, the movie prop of the Hindenburg film now sits hanging at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. If anyone gets a chance to see it, I highly suggest it! The zepplin is absolutely giant!

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I just watched the movie lastnight, and looked at the insignia. They did look real, even the hand embroidered breast adlers. Geroge C. Scotts Collar Tabs looked real, and were the correct rank. The piping was a silver wire twist which of that quality ususlly means private purchase insignia. Can't be 100% sure on the insignia though, since its on film. What I do take comfort in thpugh, is that the movie is near 30 yrs old, and most faked insignia at that time, was not near as good as it is now.

Some of the companies that originally made the insignia, are doing so again, and they are made out of the exact same materials as they were then, and thie repo stuff costs almost as much as period made insignia.

5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

I just rented the movie and watched it today. I dont collect uniforms and the like but they looked real to me.

6. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

Thanks CE and thanks sarge, I will take your words in it. I rewatched the movie again last night and compared the waffen ss shoulderboards to the ones on the movie and they do look good to me.