Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The narrow thrust proposal

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by steverodgers801, Apr 6, 2015.

1. m kenny

m kenny Member

Well that makes you wrong twice over. You really have very little understanding of how Montgomery worked and the claim he meddled (down to company level?) is just plain wrong.
    I think I known the answer to the following question but will ask it anyway. How many non-USA accounts of Montgomery do you have or have read. Can you name a few?

2. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

I didn't say meddled. I said he had a detailed plan of what was suppose to happen. I point out that is one thing that could have caused a lot of friction. Have I ever said he was a bad general or shouldn't have been in command. I point out some things that could have been done better and some flaws of his personality and you always get in a tizzy.

3. Triple C

Triple C Ace

IIRC, characteristically Monty gave Dempsey and Crerar clear objectives but left them operational freedom in devising their own battle plans, only approving or amending their plans as was appropriate for a general in his level of command. The 21st Army Group did have a proclivity for massive artillery fires and strict time-tables, but that's not the same thing as Montgomery personally having a micro-managing style.