Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The NHL Hockey Thread

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by downfall1983, Nov 3, 2006.

1. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

For all those who follow hockey and of course, the NHL, please post your related comments here and discuss...

2. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

I'll start off, I like the Sharks. They've got a cool logo, cool players and a good chance to take the cup.

3. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

...and they just got beaten by my team, the New York Rangers. :D

4. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Being from Pittsburgh, I can't help but feel a lot of excitment about the Pens. We have an extremely talented core of young players such as Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Whitney. Great things could happen in the next 3 or 4 years if we can just keep the team here.

Later

5. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

I'm still disgusted that ESPN won't show hockey but they'll show poker, billiards, softball, poker, volleyball, water polo, more poker, fishing, etc. Did I mention poker?

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Edmonton for the past tradition with Jari Kurri, Esa Tikkanen and the excellent Gretzky playing with them.

Anyway, my favourite player will be Jaromir Jagr as long as he plays in the NHL.

7. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

I had the pleasure of seeing the Edmonton Oilers in Pittsburgh sometime in the early 80's I think it was. Gretzky, Messier, Glenn Anderson, Esa Tikkanen, Paul Coffey. They were simply unbelievable. My jaw dropped the first time I saw Paul Coffey do one of his end to end rushes. He surely could "skate like the wind". And Gretzky only needed one good winger to work his magic. One of his wingers was a goon that was there just to protect him. I can't remember his name. They were awesome.

Later

8. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The will only ever be one team for me, Montreal.

9. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

for the finnish users on these boards, I'm curious how big is Mikka Kiprusoff in finland? also, do you, the users, play hockey? I, myself, played hockey a while back though I'm not a good skater.

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Definitely we consider Miikka a great player, maybe the best individual player at the moment in NHL of the Finns. At the moment he seems to be focusing his career 100% on winning the trophy in the NHL so we won´t be seeing him much over here in Europe even in the World Championship games.

No, never played in any teams but some matches at the university level yes, but nothing serious really. Not enough talent to play professionally ever.

11. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

to readers, what are your favorite nhl teams?

and finally, this is my 100Th POST! it took long enough.

12. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Well, being from "da Burgh" my favorite team has to be the Pens. But, if I were a betting man I'd put my money on the Ducks. They are awsome.

Later

13. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I, of course, am a NJ Devils fan. They must have had a real effect on the league, seeing how all the new rules implemented go against their style of play. The lines in which the goalie can handle the puck (aka Marty is the best puck-handling keeper in the NHL and would often make great passes from out there), two-line passes (aka the Devils style of defense was stiffling, this allows for much faster paced games and potentially more scoring)...etc

14. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

Yes, I thank the NHL and anyone else who will take credit for the new rules. Those of us in Pittsburgh had to put up with the loathsome style of the Devils for many years. I always wonder how many more points Mario would or could have scored had he not had to put up with players hooking, hanging on him, tackling him and just generally not letting hime play the game for all those years.

But still, he did ok.

BTW, the Devils always were and still are my second favorite. I just don't think they can be real competitive right now.

Later

15. downfall1983

downfall1983 Member

If the Devils played a loathesome style back in the old NHL, why are they a favorite of yours?

16. Lord of War

Lord of War Member

My favorite team used to be the N.Y. Islanders, as long as my cousin (Sean Bergenheim) played there, but now I'm really hoping the Ducks will win, for Teemu Selänne's sake :D

17. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

I guess because after watching them frustrate the Pens all those years I grew to appreciate their style as the "anti-Penguins". So, if the Pens weren't doing any good I wanted them too.

Verstehe?

Later

18. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

The devils will always be a comptetive team. Don't know how they do it,, but they do...year in and year out.

As soon as pittsburgh gets good..they will get relocated to Canada...to bad for the fans!

19. jpatterson

jpatterson Member

I'm sure the people in Hamilton are all praying for that.

Later

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Nice to see some Finns play well.

Teemu Selänne 5 passes in one match.

Kiprusoff starting to win matches for Galgary!

Also Vesa Toskala for San Jose doing well as their goalie!