PzKpfw IV Ausf. A, unit unknown; Poland September 1939 One of only 35 examples of this initial version to be built, this tank is finished overall in standard dark blue-grey. The solid white national cross on the turret would have been over painted yellow shortly afterwards it proved an uncomfortably good aiming mark for the dangerous Polish gunners. The only other visible marking is the turret number, also in solid white, identifying the 4th Company, 3rd Platoon, 4th vehicle. A large `fascine' of pine logs is carried on the rear decking, to assist the crossing of streams and similar obstacles. PzKpfw IV Ausf. B or C, Panzer-Regiment 22, 21st Panzer-Division; Normandy, June 1944 An extraordinary survival at this late date, this tank is probably an Ausf. C; the regiment's II Abteilung was equipped with a mixed bag of these antiques and French Somuas. Photographs show some vehicles finished in plain dark yellow, others-like this example with an unusual camouflage of broad dark green stripes; national crosses, turret numbers and unit insignia all seem to have been lacking. The battalion was wiped out in the Normandy fighting. PzKpfw IV Ausf. D, Panzer-Regiment 11, 6th Panzer-Division; Russia, summer 1941 This division operated on the northern sector of the front in the initial drive into Russia. The tank is finished in standard dark blue-grey overall. The national cross is now marked in a narrow white outline presentation on the hull superstructure sides well forward. The divisional insignia from 1941 onwards was two yellow Xs, marked here on the hull front plate outside the driver's visor. The turret number is marked low and small; an `?02' number within a company usually indicated the `spare' command tank, used by the company second-in-command and handed over to the company commander if his tank was knocked out. In some regiments solid coloured numbers followed a company sequence, white, red, yellow and blue-and we therefore assume this mid-tone number to be in blue. PzKpfw IV Ausf. E, Panzer-Regiment 8, 15th Panzer-Division; Libya, 1941-42 This tank is finished in an overall coat of light desert yellow, through which the original factory scheme of dark blue-grey shows in streaks and patches. The placing of the national cross, on the left end of the upper rear hull plate, in white outline only, is unusual; note that the cross does not appear anywhere on the side surfaces. The divisional insignia is stencilled at the right of the bottom rear hull plate, reversed out of a red disc; balancing it at the left end of the plate is the DAK palm-and-swastika sign, stencilled in white. The divisional insignia is repeated on the hull side in front of the driver's side visor. The turret number identifies the commander of 1 Platoon, 8 Company, in a low-visibility white outline presentation. PzKpfw IV Ausf. F, Panzer-Regiment 15, 11th Panzer-Division; south Russia, 1941 Still painted overall dark blue-grey, this tank bears a two-digit turret number only; several regiments followed this practice, and normally it was the company number which was omitted, identifying this tank as that of a 3rd Platoon commander. The white ‘K’ on the right of the rear hull plate is that of Panzergruppe Kleist, a temporary grouping of five Panzer divisions under Army Group South during the invasion of Russia. The official insignia of 11th Panzer-Division, a circle with a vertical central bar all in yellow, does not seem to be carried; instead, on hull sides and rear, we see the white ‘un-official’ emblem from which the ‘Ghost Division’ took its nickname. Both divisional signs were often carried on the same tank. An air recognition flag is draped over the rear deck stowage. PzKpfw IV Ausf. F, Panzer Regiment 31, 5th Panzer-Division; central Russia, winter 1941-42 The tanks of this regiment received partial or complete coats of whitewash snow camouflage; if partial, it seems to have been popular to leave the dark grey exposed in a pattern of narrow streaks, basically vertical in arrangement, to blend with a forest background. The divisional sign is a yellow X, left visible on an exposed square of the dark grey paint on the front hull plate outside the driver’s visor. The regiment’s famous red devil insignia is carried large on the turret side, well forward, likewise on a panel of un-camouflaged grey. Behind it the turret side port is also left in grey, and a three-digit number is painted on the upper part of this in red. Note heavy external stowage.