Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Reconquista of Spain: A Nationalist Spain AAR

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG][​IMG]

On July 18th, 1936 the Spanish Army rebelled against the Republicans, starting what would become known as the Spanish Civil War. It pitted the Nationalists - Fascists and Nazis - against Republicans - Communists - in what would turn out to be a bitter war.

[​IMG]

The eyes of the world turned to Spain and the Soviets and French decided to aid the Republicans, while the Germans and Italians decided to send aid to the outnumbered Nationalists.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

It was not long before opposing troops began to clash. July 25th marked the first victories for the Nationalists, in Tarragona, Bilbao, and Malaga.

August 4th saw victories in Almeria while Siquenza and Castellon fell to Republican forces. The newly arrived Foreign Troops had yet to enter the fray, and the full furry of Legion Condor would be felt by the Republicans when they did arrive.

August 8th saw Siquenza retaken even as Condor Legion troops moved into the region. The next week saw fierce fighting everyday, resulting in Nationalist victories in Almeria and the largest battle yet, the Battle of Castellon.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oviedo was also taken at this time, and Republican forces ceased to exist in the North (Bilbao). The follow week saw the loss of unoccupied Seville and another big victory in the Battle of Valladolid, which saw Gondor Legion crush Republican Soldiers with its might.

The 27th saw another large battle at Jaen, with Nationalist forces victorious once more. On September 1st, a key province was the center of an epic battle - Guadaljara. Three days later, victory was declared by the Nationalists and they began moving in. Madrid and Valladolid were occupied by the end of the first week of September.

September 8th saw twin battles launched against Valencia and Salamanca - both by large armies. Both ended in victories and Seville was retaken on the 17th. The Air Force was then redeployed to Madrid to be able to launch its attacks further south.

The 15th, 18th, and 21st saw victories in Badajira, Huelva, and Albacete, though these provinces would only be occupied on October 1st. Republican Troops moved into the empty province of Almeria. Little did they know but that is where they would make their last standin the coming week.

Oct 2nd say Early Infantry Division developed by research teams which Huelva was finally occupied. On October 13th, Republican Spain was annexed!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Several Units and Generals that left to return their homelands had gained vast experience battling the Republicans. Many would think that this would hurt the Nationalists, but several Nationalist Divisions and Generals also gained vast experience. What does the future hold for this new, Nationalist Spain? Only time will tell.

2. Mussolini

Nationalist Spain, victorious over Republican Spain, has returned to relative normality. But the winds of War blow across Europe and now is not the time to be lax. Analysts have studied the tactics and battles from the Civil War and use this information to prove that Nationalist Spain would not do will in a war against its nearest Neighbor, France. Franco preaches modernization of weapons and armies!

November the 11th of 1936 sees Early Field Artillery researched, and Early Tanks along with Improved Machine Tools - the Republican Research Team having finally made the transition over into the new government. The 26th also sees Flying Circus Doctrine finished and Force Substitution Doctrine begun.

December 21st sees WAR break out in China, between the Nationalist Chinese and Guangxi Clique. The rest of the month was quiet, and Spaniards celebrated a peaceful Christmas.

February 29th is the only date of note from the first two months of the new year. On this day, the Germans, Italians, and Japanese all sign the Anti-Commitern Pact. This can surely only mean war is on the horizon.

March 13th sees Improved Machine Tools completed and Basic Fighter started, while April 12th sees Force Substitution Doctrine Completed with Rear Area Supply Depots begun. The 18th of April also sees Basic Tanks developed and Basic Light Tanks begun.

Throughout April, Franco held several meeting with Cabinet members, discussing the future of Nationalist Spain. It was finally decided, on May 13th, to join the Germans in Alliance, forming the AXIS. After Gondor Legions service, it only seemed appropriate to become involved in a Military Alliance with Germany. As a benefit, Blueprints would be given and traded for, speeding up the Upgrade process of the Spanish Armed Forces.

June 4th saw a Spanish BB traded to the Germans for 4 Techs. The 7th saw Japan Declare War on Nationalist China, Shanxi, and Guangxi. At this time, a French HQ unit and Infantry Division were spotted near the Spanish border.

The United States passes the Pitman Act on the 15th of June in response to Japans war on China.

On the 18th, it was decided to cancel Early Fighter and switch to Early Interceptor instead, to speed up research in the aviation field.

July 6th saw a major trade deal with Germany that resulted in the purchase of a Stuka Dive Bomber Wing. 2045 Rare Materials, 2500 Oil, 2235 Energy, 4015 Supplies, 1174 Steel, and $303 were traded for the Stuka. Despite these astonishingly high numbers, the supply stocks from the Civil War are hardly dented.

[​IMG]

July 8th sees Rear Area Supply finished and Basic Field Artillery begun. The 17th sees China Annex Shanxi.

July 18th is a day full of parades and celebration of the 1-year anniversary of the Glorious Revolution. Franco decrees that it become a National Holiday.

August 5th sees Basic Light Tanks completed -a major step for the Spaniards- and work begins on Basic Close Air Support. On the 15th, a L.Armored Division is commissioned and 379 Supplies are sent for Advanced Machine Tools blueprints.

September 13 sees Basic Interceptors completed and Advanced Machine Tools started.

Na. Spain Tech:[​IMG]

3. Mussolini

October 18th saw the 4th Army redeployed to Ifni in Africa. Basic Field Artillery was completed and Great War Hospital System was started. Some supplies of various sorts were traded to Germany in exchange for Advanced Construction Engineering, Operational Destruction Doctrine, Rear Area Vehicle Repair, and Medium Range Submarines.

On November 30th, Basic Close Air Support was completed and research started on Rear Area Vehicle Repair.

December 13th saw Advanced Machine Tools completed and Advanced Construction Engineering started.

January 12 - Tank Deployed to 1st Tank Corps. 3x Serial L.Arm started.
    January 30 - Rear Area Vehicle Repair -> Improved Light Tank

February 7 - Great War Hospital System -> Self-Propelled Artillery

March 5 - Anschluss of Austria
    March 27 - Advanced Construction Engineering -> Battlefield Destruction Doctrine

April 18 - More Resources traded for Blueprints

May 13 - Franco Bahamonde Dies.
    May 20 - Battlefield Destruction Doctrine -> Bomber Veteran Initiative

June 6 - Tank Deployed 1st Tank Corps
    June 16 - Early Self-Propelled Artillery -> Basic Infantry Division

August 7 - Bomber Veteran Initiative -> Dive Bombing Doctrine

September 5 - Improved light Tank (PzKpfw IIF) -> Basic Medium Tank
    September 9 - Miguel Ferrer Dies.
    September 23 - Basic Infantry Division and Dive Bombing Doctrine -> Basic Fighter and Direct Ground Support Doctrine
    September 30 - Treaty of Munich, Sudetenland to Germany

October 17 - 2nd Tank Corps Formed

December 7 - Basic Fighter -> Basic Anti-Tank Artillery

Some Thoughts Thus Far
    Basically, this is an arms race right now. Germany is sharing all its technology with me, though some of it is rather useless (aka I am not headed down that research branch). A lot of it has turned out to be useful and I am well on the way to getting 1939 Infantry. Not bad when you consider i had 1918 Infantry in 1936, which upgraded to '36 Infantry in '37.

My Tanks and Airplanes are usually of German Design so I am also trying to build up an Air Force. Stukas will be my bombers - I would need to research Tactical Bombers and then produce some, but i had the blueprint for Stukas so have decided to go along that route. I also plan on building some Fighters and two more Interceptors, which should give me a small but powerful airforce by the time the Battle for France takes place.

I am interested in seeing if and when the Italians will join the Alliance, and how successful they will be against the French. I redeployed the 4th Army to the West Coast of Africa so that it can roll up the French units there, making its way towards Tunis. This should help the Italians in Africa out too, and the army can always be sent into Libya/Egypt (long walk away) to help against the British.

I am running the game speed up as sitting around waiting for research is pretty boring, but once war breaks out, you can expect 'monthly' updates and more detailed reports. I think I am going to be as detailed as I can in battle reports, but keep in mind I handwrite everything down as it happens, which gets bothersome/tiresome at times: especially with 3 separate AARs going on at the same time.

So, if you've been enjoying reading my AAR's, show me some love and give me some positive Feedback or Reputation!

4. Mussolini

Direct Ground Support -> Night Strafing Doctrine
    Basic AT Artillery -> Basic Heavy Tank
    Basic Medium Tank -> Mechanized Agriculture
    Slovakia Formed/Puppet
    Italy DOW Albania
    Italy Annex Albania
    Poland Joins Allies
    Basic Heavy Tank -> Early Tank Destroyer
    Night Strafing Doctrine -> Early Hospital System
    Early Tank Destroyer -> Improved Field Artillery
    Mechanized Agriculture -> Census Tabulating Machines
    Historical Outcome - Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact
    August 30th, Germany DOW Poland, Allies DOW Axis

Thoughts Thus Far...

So i was distracted when this last part occurred, the game Speed set at FAST, so 2 days passed before i turned back to the screen only to see French Bombers attacking my Mountain Troops. I only have one unit of Interceptors, and 3 Units of Stukas. I have Fighters in my build Que, but did not expect France to have to Groups of Bombers. Nevertheless, I shall prevail! The Frogs Must Die!