Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The reichstag

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by bedhead, Apr 6, 2017.

1. bedhead

bedhead New Member

I've heard that Hitler and his cronies were involved in the fire at their Government building the Reichstag. What I would like to know is during the bombings of German cities late in the war. Is it true that Hitler was concerned and often asked if the allies have bombed the Reichstag because he wanted it destroyed. He wanted to design a new one. I've also heard that if it didn't get raised to the ground by the bombers that he was going to have it destroyed by his own army. Is there any evidence to that?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

From what I remember reading last it wasn't clear whether or not Hitler had much to do with fire at the Reichstag but he certainly made use of the event after the fact.

Unfortunately I can't confirm or deny the latter question.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Hitler had plans for Germany after they "won" the war. However, renovations were already in progress under Speer before the conflict. Not sure if the Reichstag still stood under his future plans for a world capital.

Welthauptstadt Germania - Wikipedia

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Two links here of pics of the models and in each you can see the Reichstag incorporated into the Great Hall. No changes to original structure.

[​IMG]

From another angle third building from lower right corner

[​IMG]

KJ Jr and lwd like this.
  5. bedhead

bedhead New Member

Thank you so very much for your reply.

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics PzJgr. Never even noticed before the incorporation of the Reichstag into the Volkshalle courtyard. Guess it answers the OP's question. Seems Hitler thought highly enough of the architecture to include it, but never had any intention on it being the center piece. Quite a contrast.

7. bedhead

bedhead New Member

It is quite funny to think that Hitler to thought himself to be an Architect among other things. His first attempt was an add on to his Bavarian retreat the Berghov. He placed the car port underneath the huge picture window. So when the window were opened, car fumes entered the retreat. Seems fitting concidering that the German SS used carbon monoxide as one of the ways to kill Jews. Getting the idea from a occurrence that happened when a drunk German officer coming back from a party passed out in his car that was parked in his garage.