Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The return to the Philippines: 70 years ago at Leyte

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by dcordero, Oct 26, 2014.

1. dcordero

dcordero New Member

[SIZE=14pt]I recently wrote this column for my newspaper in St. George, Utah, about Gen. Douglas MacArthur and the return to the Philippines. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this piece. I was a little disappointed in the lack of publicity nationally commemorating the invasion of the Philippines — given the recent 70th anniversary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]If you like the story, I'd be delighted if you shared. Thanks![/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]David[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]http://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/local/2014/10/19/wwii-macarthurs-return-just-walk-surf/17593797/[/SIZE]

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  2. von_noobie

von_noobie Member

Not a bad article but would take the focus or any of it off of MacArthur, He did more harm then good for his men and us Aussies in WWII.

just my 2 cents from your Grumpy Aussie =D

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

MacArthur is a lightning rod, to be sure. However, it is impossible to discuss the retaking of the Philippines without including him. I do agree with von_noobie in one respect, though my emphasis would be different. I would like to see more mention of the men who fought and died in the Philippines 70 years ago and less of the generals who commanded them.

David, as you have pointed out, the landing at Leyte has gone mostly unreported in the national media despite the presence of MacArthur and his famous photo op. How much less will the amphibious landing at Lingayen Gulf (the largest amphibious assault in the PTO) be mentioned?

von_noobie likes this.