Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Rogues at War: A German AAR

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]

Germany, in 1936, is at a crossroads. Herr Hitler is walking down a path that will lead to the Volk being unified once more, becoming as pure as it ever was. The memories of a bitter defeat, a betrayal of the government of Germany to its people, is still fresh in the mind of the Volk and war looms on the horizon. But Germany suffers from a lack of resources and enemies on all sides. The Rhineland, the industrial heart of Germany, needs to be reoccupied. People of the Volk living outside of German borders need to be reincorporated into the Third Reich, and Memel - only recently out of German hands - years to rejoin their brethren. This next few months will be pivotal for the fate of Germany.

What decisions will you make?

Shadow Master likes this.
  2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I would pretty much follow the same steps Hitler had taken up to the fall of France. Uniting Austria is important. Czechoslavkia had to be taken along with the important Skoda works. Poland for the flat agricultural land. That would have meant the declarations of war from France and Great Britain. Invade Norway, France and the low countries to oust the Brits. Leave occupation forces but let the countries govern themselves after signing treaties tying them to Germany. This would leave a less bitter taste on the invasion and after time would accept the occupation forces as long as the Germans were not barbaric. Leave Britain alone. She was never any threat on her own. Do not declare war once Japan attacked the US. Build up army and air force for invasion of USSR with aim to reach the Volga and no further but only if Russia attacked. Promote anti-communist programs aimed at incorporating all of the nations to view communism as the enemy, not facism. Leave Italy to lose Africa. Leave the Balkans alone. Not economically valuable. Partner with Bulgaria and Hungary to protect the southern flank. If the British decide to launch attacks from Greece, Germany would have time to respond if needed. If Germany had stayed within Europe and not going past Poland, she could have been properous and been able to defend against attacks from either direction.

The overall goal is to get the British off Germany's back, keep her isolated by not bringing in the US, and obtain the wealth of the Ukraine at most, Poland at least.

3. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Take The Rhineland as soon as possible!

4. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

Hmmmm. Waits for more.......

I am interested in what your going to do. Slowly and steadily building up an irresistable force? Make a risky assult before you are truly ready, because your enemies are even less ready? Will you attack your enemies one at a time, one after another? Or make an all or nothing explosive expansistic Empire?

Tic tok.....

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Attack Russia! :D

6. Mussolini

Will post the other screenshots of starting scenario when I get home tonight.
    Basically, I am trying to avoid the gamey tactic of building Factories and only Factories to increase IP this early. I might go ahead and mod the part where i get more then 1/2 IP of annexed countries (if i can find out how to do that) just to make things a little easier.

You'll have plenty of things to come up with once i post the screenies...5 tech slots, for instance, need research. I'd suggest Industrial (since a lot of other techs will have to wait a year before i begin them otherwise suffer major penalties for researching '39 tech in '36) etc etc.

7. Joe

Joe Ace

A trick I always use it to research unit upgrades a year early. That way, the research is usually finished at the time other nations begin researching. That puts me at an edge over my opponents.

8. Mussolini

German Technology as of January 1st:

[​IMG]

Industrial Capacity and Production List:

[​IMG]

The German Cabinet Ministers:

[​IMG]

Upon review of the Ministers, two changes were made by Herr Hitler.
    Werner von Blomberg and Wilhem Canaris were both sacked, replaced by France Xavier-Schwarz and Carl von Schubert respectively.

The New Cabinet Ministers:
    [​IMG]

Immediate Questions:
    1. re: Production Do i cancel production orders and concentrate on Land/Airforces and the upgrades needed?
    2. Strategy for the coming war: Ignore Naval Presence entirely and focus on land strategy and techs?
    3. Technology (will post options later): Focus on Industrial to boost IC + Manpower first, then turn to Land and Air technologies?

9. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The only naval vessels worth building are u-boots, so that cover my opinion of #1 and #2, but a clearer picture of our overall strategy will be helpfull in making any future decisions.

10. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

actually I like to turn the tables and create a carrier navy. You can shoot out 8 carriers by 1940 and still have a formidable ground + air force.

edit: Your HOI is alot different from mine, what mod are you using?

11. Joe

Joe Ace

Probably all graphical mods. See the 'Graphical enhancements for HOI II' thread.

I agree with hawkerace. don't even Research BBs or BCs. Concentrate on Land, air and Carriers. Just don't try to have a naval fight with Britian unless you have tons of Carriers.

12. Mussolini

For the most part I am leaving those types of decisions up to your Rogues. I NEVER research Naval Techs as Naval Units do not get upgraded like land and air units - you actually have to build the new model.

I think we should talk goals. A few of you have the game so know what I am talking about.

1. Conquer France/Low-Lands. Make Peace with UK if possible.
    2. Conquer Russia.
    3. Keep the USA out of the War for as long as possible.

Your thoughts?

13. Shadow Master

Shadow Master Member

This is going to be good! I have a completely different strategy in my game, but for this one....

You could Finnish the Graff Spee (that much production for what, 6 days in exchange for a CA isn't too bad), but concur with Otto as for the navy at this stage.

I would like too see how an initial Inf & Armor buildup looks.

I would love too see the main map with all moving units highlighted at the start of a campaign!:D

I love it that you are doing this!:D

14. Joe

Joe Ace

I'd go ith options 1 and 2 Mussolini. Ignore the USA and USSR, go for the weaker countries. France, Spain, Italy ect.

15. Mussolini

Proposed German Research/Production Strategy:
    1. Scrap all Naval Production and Research
    2. Focus Research on Industrial, Infantry, Armor, Air Force (In that Order)
    3. Start Production on additional Infantry and Armor Units
    4. Continue Upgrades of Current Forces
    Proposed German Military Strategy:
    1. Reoccupy the Rhineland
    2. Pressure Austria until Event Fires
    3. Pressure Lithuania for return of Memel
    4. Move into the Balkans – focus Yugoslavia
    5. Ally with Italy and Japan
    6. Conquest of Poland
    7. Conquest of Lowlands and France
    8. Peace with UK
    9. Conquest of Russia
    10. Peace with USA

16. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Looks good! But I would reccomend one thing. Hold off production of armor units, as long as you can. This will shorten your upgrade time.
    Another thing you could try, is REALLY focus on upgrades of your current forces. I really like an advanced army.
    just my 2 cents

17. Joe

Joe Ace

Concentrate on industrial advances early. Then you don't need to disrupt unit production when the bullets start flying.
    After a while thinking, I think it would be wise to build a few BC/BBs for shore bombardment. But Germany starts with 2 BCs so that shouldn't be a problem.

18. JTF-2

JTF-2 Member

Update?

19. tikilal

tikilal Ace

It is in the events. You have DD, I will find the file and post the mod if you want.

We need to set dates for the above so that we can plan for and build the army we need for the job. I would perpose that the date to have the army ready as April 40. With this we need to decide the army we want. I like to have 12 armored divisions, each grouped with two mot or mech divisions. I also like havin around 70 to 80 inf devisions and 20-25 garrisions. The air force should have two groups of 4 each ground attack, and two groups of interceptors and tow of fighters. I think this is a good core army.