Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Romanian Empire AAR

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I plan on starting a SP game as Romania, based off the success of my MP game as Romania right now. Once i figure out how to incorporate the GOI fix so Russia etc doesnt DOW me for DOWing Bulgaria. Will post updates here.

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Romania, huh. Who was involved in the MP game?

3. Mussolini

Players or countries?

Players were: Anders (host), Ulmont, Geofactor, Mat, and several other people I can't remember right now.

Countries, that were Player Controlled at some point (two or three had to go at some point) were:

Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rep. Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Guangxi Clique, Comm. China...

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Sorry, I was asking for countries. Interesting grouping

5. Mussolini

The Romanian Empire

[​IMG]

The Year of 1936:Beginnings of an Empire
    The Romanian Army is by far the Largest Army in all the Balkans. Close to twenty Infantry Divsions, 3 Mountain, 1 L. Arm, and ~6 Cavalry Divisions. However, all these Divisions are understrength and require about 60 manpower to get back to full strength.

However, Bulgaria needs to be taken and taken fast. The quickest way to do this is to make your attacking forces PRIORITIES and DOW Bulgaria once they are to full strength. Thus, great success can be had.

[​IMG]

The Opening Attacks avoids the bulk of the Bulgarian Army, which is in a Mountain Province. It also targets 1 of the 3 VP you need to capture, and once you move into these two provinces, you can then move into the last two.
    [​IMG]

Here we so Romanian Cavalry and Tank Divsion in the second of 3 VP locations. Their initial attack was fast as it avoided the Mountains. From here, a small attack on Skopje saw Bulgaria annexed.
    [​IMG]

Thus began the Romanian Empire:
    [​IMG]

However, due to some stupidity, I thought I could not DOW Greece. I later realized this was not the case as I had a NAP (Non-Aggression Pact) with the Bastards.

After some timely movement, Romanian forces proceeded to the border with Hungary. There were set backs from the start in this war and even after initial gains, Romanian troops were brought to a halt on the small front.
    [​IMG]

Only with the bulk of the Romanian Army was Hungary capitulated and Annexed.
    [​IMG]

Nonetheless, the Romanian Empire had doubled in size, both in Industrial Capacity and in Tech Teams (started with 2, now have 4) which are working around the clock to improve Romania as a whole.

[​IMG]

The lessons learned from the war with Hungary will be incorporated into the combined attack on Yugoslavia and Albania. A frontal assault on Yugoslavia has been declared, with the flanks being attacked by fast moving Cavalry and Tank forces, aiming to swiftly occupy key provinces and force the enemy into annexation.

The end of 1936, while quiet, is the calm before the storm.

6. tikilal

tikilal Ace

It surprises me that you can see all of the enemy strengths around you.

7. Mussolini

Me too. It appears that my Army intelligence is pretty awesome. I think one of my ministers has a +30% Intelligence Perk.

8. Mussolini

1937: The Year of Great Expansion

War with Yugoslavia was always on the mind of the Romanians. The winter was harsh, the grounds Frozen, but in March the Romanian Army was ready. The plan was simple - cut of Yugoslavian Armies in three sectors and storm the Capital. Little did we know how successful this would be against the numerically superior Yugoslavians. The most time consuming of things during this war was movement to the shores of the Adriatic Sea.

Here we can see Center and South. The Mountains of the former Bulgarian Provinces prevent the Yugoslavians from entering deeply into Romanian Territory, and not before their own supply lines are cut off.
    [​IMG]

Next we see Group North. Cavalry and 1 Tank Division moved swiftly and trapped 4 Divisions against the border with Italy, where the slower moving 3 Inf Army destroyed the Yugoslavians.
    [​IMG]

Here we see the one downside of the war, the liberation of Serbia.
    [​IMG]

Despite this uncharacteristic move on behalf of the Romanian Government,the fight had been knocked out of the Yugoslavians. Their peace offer was rejected and after one final push, Yugoslavia was annexed.
    [​IMG]

Shortly afterwards, it was determined that Greece had aided Yugoslavia during the war, so speedy Cavalry divisions were moved down to attack Greece. [Note the passage of time in these next to shots - beginning of war, and end of war]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was then decided to bring Serbia back into the fold:
    [​IMG]

Along with Albania - both bloodless wars.
    [​IMG]

As 1937 comes to a close, dissent is extremely high (35%) and the few rebellions that sprung up were quickly put down by fast moving Romanian Cavalry. Garrison Units with MP attachments have been deployed to more problematic provinces, and the 5 Tech Teams are working around the clock to keep Romania up to speed with the rest of the world. Research so far is centered around Land Units/Doctrines, Industrial Improvements, and progress into the field of the Air Force.
    The New Romanian Empire:
    [​IMG]

Where next do the hungary (no pun intended) eyes of the Romanians turn to next? Do they lower their national dissent, upgrading their armies, and then take on the Muslim Hordes to the South East, in Turkey? Or do they enter a period of Peace, watching events in the rest of the World, choosing new allies?

9. Mussolini

The Year of 1938 was the most peaceful one in recent memory. Minor engagements occurred in Rebellious provinces, the Rebellions met with stern force. Three new Tank Divisions were also deployed, along with 10 Convoy ships and the Non Aggression Pact (NAP) with Turkey was Broken, while the NAPs with France and the USSR Expired.

Great gains were made on the technological front, with 5 tech teams working around the clock. A couple of Land Doctrines, Industrial Doctrines, and advances in Land and Air forces were all made.

Austria was annexed by Germany and rumblings of coming war echoed throughout the land. Romanian Intelligence executed several spies from foreign countries, while also managing to deploy several of their own. Plans to invade Turkey are also in the works, waiting for Dissent at home to diminish before any decisive action is taken.

There was also a Sudden Change of Government towards the end of '38.

10. Joe

Joe Ace

After Turkey are you going for Italy?

11. Mussolini

I imagine by the time I take Turkey, Germany will then go to war against Poland. If thats the case, I will be forced to join with the Germans and eat up southern Poland (some resources etc there will be helpful). Then I'll focus on pumping out Divisions for War with Russia.

I'll have to see how Turkey goes though. I might leave the Germans to Poland, so that they can attack Russia there and can attack from Turkey.

12. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

I'd suggest taking Istanbul then peacing Turkey :) Make a formidable navy to sink Russia's 2 great war/Early BBs and assorted ships, and during this time, make multiple invasions into Ukraine and Caucus.

I've done Romanian Empires many times. And controlling the sea, really puts you in a limitless position

13. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Also: I bet your Belli is up the ying yang ! :)

14. Mussolini

lol pretty much - the extra DOW for Serbia didn't help. The 'save game' I am talking about puts the AI as Weakling so they wont go to war because of my high belligerence (at least they havent yet).

Jaeger likes this.
  15. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Weakling? No fun there.
    I once played Hungary with annexed Czeh and in 1937 Russia invaded me.

That was a hoot, but after 200 divisions stacked on my capital in 1940, I logged off ;[

edit: Don't invade Italy 1940 afterwards, its at its peak then. IF, your going to invade it, earlier then later is best.

16. Mussolini

The Years 1939 - 1940

War, as it always is, was on the horizon. Great technological gains and a redeployment of armed forces soon had everyone on Edge. In the 2nd Quarter of 1939, Romania declared war on its relatively new neighbor, Turkey. Istanbul was first to fall, while other units attacked via neighboring Islands, acquired in the annexation of Greece. Tanks and Cavalry rolled inland, away from the coasts, cutting off Turkish Troops and cutting the country in half by September.

[​IMG]

Not long after that, Turkey became the newest edition of the Romanian Empire.

[​IMG]

It was decided, at this point, to redeploy the Army to the borders with Russia and England (Iraq). Italy would have been a prime target, but relations were high and Italy far more advanced then anyone else. The Romanian Empire was vast and needed to be kept under control.

[​IMG]

Thought still lingered on whether or not to attack Italy, until the USSR decided it wanted more land and forced Romania to hand over three border provinces. The Romanians hated this, and vowed revenge against the Russians once they were strong enough to do so.

[​IMG]

As 1940 progressed, Dissent began to drop, the Secret Intelligence Agency executed all foreign spies, and new Technologies were developed, bringing the Romanian Army into contention with the Great Powers.

One thing that plagues the mind of the Romanian Leader is the lack of Divisions. The High Dissent and wars have kept their numbers down and there will be little time to deploy more before returns. Will what few they have be enough to take on the Russian Bear and the Lion of England, both at the same time?

17. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Told ya taking Turkey was gonna hurt you :[ Now you sandwiched between the most interventionist nations in the game.

18. Mussolini

Having played ahead a little, Italy is Allied with Germany (already are, actually) and Vichy France already exists. I have good relations with Germany and Italy (100+ with both i think) and i'll join Axis once Germany goes to war with Russia (so they can't cut off my expansion into Russia).

Though...do i let Germany cut off my Expansion in Europe and deploy my troops to Turkey instead? Hit Russia that way along with heading into Iraq? I'll let Germany deal with Europe-Russia, while i deal with Mid-East? Might help Italians out by drawing British troops away from Egypt, plus knocking IRAQ out of war + oil?

19. Hawkerace

Hawkerace Member

Middle east if your going tank & armored stuff(Baku and Persia have most oil in the area along with Iraq a little bit) Russia if you want IC, and plus you might have the chance to liberate the Ukraine!

20. efadrian

efadrian recruit

Hello,
    Can you tell me what is the name if this game you are playing and showing maps...?!
    Thank you!
    Adrian:)