Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Semper Fi Thread

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

A Stickied-Thread for Hearts of Iron 3: Semper Fi Multiplayer Discussion.

Once again, calling all Hearts of Iron Players! We have a core of 3 players right now (Myself, Mikebatzel, and Generalissimo) who play a weekly MP game. We are always looking for more players to join in! We play Vanilla Semper Fi but are starting to transition over to DiDays I.C.E Mod.

Before you go all :eek: over the Mod, it is very simple to install and download. You activate it using a mod manage - its REALLY REALLY simple and will not mess up your Vanilla Game.

Here is the link to download the mod:

Paradox Interactive Forums I.C.E mod for Semper Fi

Also, before you install it, download this file directly into you Hearts of Iron 3 main directory (and install it there too):

Paradox Interactive Forums JGSME Mod Manager

When you launch the program (the mod manager) it will create a Mods Folder. Install the ICE Mod into the folder (extract all files to the MODS folder - I created a folder called ICE in the mod folder to keep the files in one place.) Then, before you launch HOI 3, launch the Mod Manager and activate (or deactivate if you want vanilla) the mod.

Really simply.

2. Mussolini

Started an ICE MP game with Joe as the Allies. I am the USA and he is the UK (Mike is still AWOL and we're always looking for more people to join us).

We both agree that ICE is much MUCH better looking then regular HOI 3, has more technologies to choose from, and a lot more units. We're about 2 years into the game. The SCW lasted about 1 Year, with the Nationalists winning. Communist China went to war with Nationalist China before coming to peace with each other, shortly before the Japanese invasion. The Japs took out Shanxi and have launched several amphibious invasions along the Nat. Chinese Coast, at virtually ever port.

Dozens of historical events have also occurred. For the USA, the various Neutrality Acts (you can either enact them or not) and - most importantly - the Great Depression. The US has about 160 IC available at the start of the game (running on -50% because of the New Deal which goes away once Germany goes to war with UK or Russia) but the Great Depression adds a further -25% penalty to the IC, knocking it down to about 89IC. I am not sure how long it will last, but it absolutely killed my economy for a month or so while I focused on getting rid of the 25% Dissent Hit that came along with the Depression.

The Olympics also happened, giving me a +6 National Unity due to Jesse Owens Success. My national unity, thanks to a few other events, is now at 98%. I am also researching about 32 Technologies at a time, bumping my Naval Techs and all sorts of Doctrines way up while a smaller portion is spent on Infantry and Tank upgrades.

Also, as the USA, I had the USMC Event Corp L'Espirit (or some such) happen, which gives me access to USMC Units (and eventually Amphibious Tanks and Artillery). I have not researched regular Marines yet so can not compare their stats.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I got the mod manager downloaded last night but ICE didn't seem to take. I may need you too talk me through it:eek:

4. texson66

texson66 Ace

Screenshots?

5. Mussolini

Here is one.

I took this right after the "Great Depression" Hit.

Basically, thats a negative 75% hit on the Industrial Capacity of the USA, combined with a 25% Dissent Rating. Ouchie. I think Haiti has more IC then the US at this point. I spent all of my IC getting rid of the dissent rating, which bumped me back up to about 89IC. Just recently, the Great Depression ended (after Anschluss of Austria event, to give time frame) and I am now back to 158 IC, waiting for Germany to DOW the UK so I can get back to 100% IC (New Deal removes 50% IC until either: USA at War, UK at War, USSR at War).

EDIT: The Rocket Test Site is the only new thing I am producing. The rest of the stuff in my production list are all upgrades of Infantry to Motorized.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101593565-4.jpg

6. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Hey, mate I can't log onto that link you provided fro the mod, do you have a list of the changes, perhaps the read me file for the mod?

7. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

It is in a section of thier forum that requires you register your game with paradox to view it.

8. Mussolini

Yeah, you need to register on the forum (verify your game CD Key) but it gives you access to everything including some screenshots.

9. Tomcat

Do you know how many times I have registered at that site including my games, but for some reason it never lets me join. lol

10. Anderan

Anderan Member

11. Mussolini

FWMT is the checksum of the version me and Joe have been running.

I will be posting pictures later for those who want a look.

12. Mussolini

Ok -so here are some pictures from the mod! I am playing as the US (Joe as UK).

First, the new 'load screen' where you select the game rules etc and your country. Here is Europe in all its Glory:

[​IMG]

And some of the new nations that exist early in the game or come about (as Burma does) through events:

[​IMG]

A zoomed out Political View of Europe after some major events:

[​IMG]

A zoomed out Terrain View of the USA. Much prettier looking:

[​IMG]

A closer look at Florida. Note the terrain features of the water (not uniform looking anymore):
    [​IMG]

East Coat view of the USA, with armies in reorganization stage:

[​IMG]

Now on to some of the other stuff.

First up, some of the new land units. Not all have been researched yet, and countries like the USSR and Germany get their own specialized units (Various forms of SS Units and Guards units, etc). The Allies eventually get Glider-Troops, Glider-Tanks, etc too. Armored Trains and Transport ships etc. Tons of stuff. At this point I hadn't researched much, but Engineers come in three types - Para-Engineers, Assault Engineers, and regular Engineers.

[​IMG]

Here is a look at new Airplane Types. There are regular transports and heavy, specialized Carrier Groups, etc.

[​IMG]

And some new sea units (Motor Torpedo Boats):

[​IMG]

This shot shows some of the new unit icons. I sent a Motorized unit to Gibraltar, the only UK territory I could reach via Military Access (has to be within transport range - can't rebase to their ports as I am not allied to them yet).

[​IMG]

The next two screenshots are of the improved technology. The background has some cool images now. The tabs pictured are the Allies Tab and the Doctrines tab (seen on the top):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, an image of one of the new events in the game. Dozens more have occurred, including the Lend-Lease Act which ACTUALLY sends a certain allotment of supplies and fuel to the UK, along with 2 Shermans. Pretty nifty if you ask me.
    [​IMG]

13. Anderan

Anderan Member

One thing that bugs me about this mod is that amphibious transports seem to be their own brigade, and I simply think that they should be something that improves amphibious assault abilities.

14. Mussolini

I just updated to the latest version of the mod. And you can - at least I know as the USA you can upgrade your Amphibious Assault Abilities. In the US/UK game I am playing, I just researched LVT which gives me an added bonus to Amphibious Attacks. I also believe there are landing craft that you can research to upgrade it even more.

15. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

The new upgrades look interesting. Is the Semper Fi upgrade purchased online only? I bought the original game in the store and I'm wondering if there will be any compatability issues with the DVD version and the electronic version.

From what I read the Semper Fi upgrade is more of an interface improvement more than anything else. (Which would be welcomed). I also read that each nation's AI will actively seek a random victory condition, and that you can assign your allies to a specific goal. From what I understand this upgrade is a big step up.

The ICE mod from what I understand would sprinkle in much more events which would effect each nation. Matt; you have for instance discussed the Great Depression. Does this drag down the gameplay? Does this make all the nations follow more of an historic path or are the alliances and enemies still somewhat flexible?

16. Mussolini

Semper Fi makes the Pacific AI much better - and AI in general much better - at launching Naval Invasions. I bought it online (and it might only be available online) but its certainly well worth it. It adds some fixes and other game play items (basically an Uber-patch for vanilla HOI 3).

The ICE Mod is great. Improved graphics, improved AI, improved units, new units, tons of historical events. The Great Depression, once it hits, several limits the US Industrial Capacity (as shown above) to they can't build a massive navy in peace time like they usually do when under AI control. The other events (like sending Lead-Lease to the UK) is great too as you can choose to continue or stop it at any time, so there is much more flexibility. The AI has also been improved.

Well worth it in my opinion.

17. Tomcat

Well I don't know about the other nations in the ICE mod, but I can speak about the Germans events. you get asked whether you want to trade with Sweden for steel every 6 months or so, your different pacts, whether you want to raise SS divisions, and on and on. There are just so many more options and events, as well as more historical Division names.

Semper fi mod, expands the HOI 3 game so much, with new strategic navy and air force maps, it will show you where your navy are sinking convoys, where all of the air battles and enemy strikes happen, and then there is the much advanced HQ system.

All in all if you like HOI, then get both the Semper fi and then the ICE mods.

18. Tomcat

Also some more on the AI, in my invasion of England, the English AI once surrounded against the sea, has actually began a retreat onto waiting boats of shore, they have also attack Frances Providences, not randomly but actually at ports and there surrounding Providences, since if you don't have a direct line to a port controlled by you, you will run out of supplies.

19. Mussolini

In my Italian game the Germans have just invaded Poland. I get to be a spectator, as does Japan who conquered Nationalist China. The Italians sitting out the war until Paris is controlled by Germans is also an event option for the Italians (and steers things historically correct as the Italians didn't invade France until 1940 - after the Germans took Paris). So the events are there to try and keep things more historical (I am certainly not prepared for France at this point!) and make the game all the more interesting.

20. Paulverisor64

Paulverisor64 Member

I tried out a Semper Fi game as Australia this past week. I got all the way to 1945 without battling it out even though I am part of the Allied power. Portugal appears to be a good target. I landed on a close by island controlled by Portugal but it appeared not to be occupied. I'd like to try some type of invasion but 1) Japan is not at war with me. I tried selecting a landing on the Truk island but it is not allowing me to do this. 2) When I try landing where it appears Portugal is fighting I can not do this. The fighting is going on in Africa. I can only take my fleet limited places very close to Australia. I can only transport my troops very limited places.

The other question that I have is how do you delete save games you no longer wish to keep? The save game folder under Paradox is empty.