Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Taiwan Question

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by the_diego, Jun 28, 2021.

1. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

1914 is 9 years after the SJW1. Japan stole Formosa? Like how? That's what makes #4 blurry to me. It's the Cairo conference that was confused.

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Because "1914" ONLY applies to islands in the Pacific - when Japan began capturing Imperial German Colonies in WW1. These were later mandated to Japan by the League of Nations.

As to the Chinese territories stolen by Japan, there is no date limiter.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

The first part of the sentence is...
    It is their purpose that Japan shall be stripped of all the islands in the Pacific which she has seized or occupied since the beginning of the first World War in 1914,
    Note the date limit - 1914.

The second part of the sentence is...
    and that all the territories Japan has stolen from the Chinese, such as Manchuria, Formosa, and The Pescadores, shall be restored to the Republic of China.
    Note - there is no date limit. It includes all the territories Japan has stolen from the Chinese.

Hopefully this clears matters up for you.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

And the Chinese follow this to the the letter?

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Which Chinese? Nationalist or Communist?

See this Wiki...Go to "Legacy" section, "Effect on Taiwan" subsection for a decent summary.
    Second Sino-Japanese War - Wikipedia

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In continental China or how do you separate the two.? To me the Chinese are the last communists and go after their leader Xi Jinping. Interestingly the same title "president of China " was given to continental and Taiwanese president: I guess you made a fake question of these two? Rigbht?
    My answer: Go find it as youcan read my purpose between the lines.

BTW, how much the US would enjoy if Taiwan was taken by military force by China? would You make any efforts like In Korea? Or leave them stranded?

ColHessler likes this.
  7. Carronade

Carronade Ace

1914 is 19 years after 1895.

It should hardly be news to anyone who knows much about history that wars often end with the winner taking territory from the loser, or that subsequent wars often reverse the result.

8. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

Well, I'm not the one splitting hairs here. The fact is winners of a war can write history anyway they want (like the F-4's parity with the zero for instance.) But it all goes back to the fact that historically, China has the valid claim to Taiwan. The only way out for the ROC now is a legitimized claim to independence.

9. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

The allies never should have done a lot of things like giving Manchuria to China the Manchu nation was never part of China and been at war for centuries. The Chinese were pressing the Manchu again and the Manchu had asked the Japanese to aid them. After the war the allies gave Manchuria to China the Chinese moved I troops and slaughtered thousands possibly millions of Manchu to clear the land for Chinese to take the land. Poor Manchu just giving away and thrown away. I think I read what surviving Manchus occupied the farthest northern parts of Manchuria. I think Taiwan should be recognized most countries refused to as to not anger the Chinese not wanting to be blocked as a trade partner the Chinese hold so much over other countries for their affordable goods. Screw em still have Taiwan, Korea, indochina, and others. Their getting a bit upperty, just waiting for the keg to blow. Vietnam gearing up the Philippines. I think I heard the French and another country sent troops to Vietnam kinda surprised after the French lost lots in Vietnam. The PhilIppines had a couple countries as well I think we did seems stupid after Aquino threw us out that we'd help them out. I think even Russia is out there some where probably trying to wrangle something.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  10. Bryan Kimmey

Bryan Kimmey New Member

Interesting.... I had no idea.

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The answer is simple, it's right there in the Cairo Declaration; "all the territories Japan has stolen from the Chinese, such as Manchuria, Formosa, and The Pescadores, shall be restored to the Republic of China." The Republic of China was the Nationalist Chinese Government. The PRC/communist Chinese conquered mainland China between 1947-1949 from the Republic of China during the Chinese Civil War. The Republic of China still controls Taiwan as stipulated at the end of WWII, the communists just lacked the ability to conquer it. The only way Taiwan should be re-joined to the People's Republic of China is if Taiwan votes for the reunification. If they decide to remain independent, then mainland China really has no claim to them. Given what has happened in Hong Kong since the Brits abandoned them to the PRC, I don't think the Taiwanese want to be assimilated.

ColHessler likes this.
  12. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Throughout the period of decolonization, the PRC consistently favored self-determination. Apparently there’s a different rule for territories they wish to control…….

USMCPrice likes this.
  13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Hong Kong had too strong an economy for the PRC to let them go their own way. Taiwan has a robust economy and a population of almost 24 million (23,939,446), China needs both.

14. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

I see no valid arguments against Japan's pre-1945 ownership of Formosa. All you can do is challenge the legitimacy of ceding after the SJW. And Formosans weren't joined with the Japan at the point of a gun. The SJW never touched their island.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023