Torpedo Carrying Beaufighters, it was disclosed in 1943 had been operating with Coastal Command, and had scored great success in attacks against enemy shipping. Armed with four cannon and carrying their “tin fish” under their fuselage. The Beaufighter, was a British modification of the Bristol Aeroplane Company's earlier Beaufort torpedo bomber design. These planes were originally used in the Mediterranean, but unlike the Beaufort, the Beaufighter had a long career and served in almost all theatres during the Second World War, first as a night fighter, then as a fighter bomber and eventually replacing the Beaufort as a torpedo bomber. Two pilots are seen here with a Beaufighter and its torpedo in position.