Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The USA vs The World

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Mussolini, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

The USA vs The World
    View attachment 17732
    A HOI-3 AAR

The Set Up:

I started a SP Custom Game as the United States, fully aware that the Allied AI wasn't so great in such a position.

I initially changed my techs, getting rid of most of my Naval Techs and applying them pretty much only to DD, Aircraft Carriers, and Light Cruisers - the backbone of my Navy. Confrontation with the Japanese would require Naval Superiority and I hoped to achieved this from the start with Superior Technology.

I also destroyed my entire Army and recreated it, essentially spending all the points on making two Carrier Fleets (4 Carriers + 4 Light Cruisers) that would be the true backbone of my Navy. I even think I made a 3rd, but can't remember at this time.

My Land Army also only numbered a few thousand men, mostly Garrisons, spread through the Pacific on my Islands.

Goals:

My goals are simple.
    -Research Technology for a Superior Army and Airforce
    -Produce an Army and Airforce with Europe in mind
    -Eliminate the Japanese as soon as possible, then turn attention to Africa/Europe.

These are general, overall goals. If I can defeat Japan then I am hoping I can defeat the rest of the Axis too. This can/should eventually lead to a direct conflict with the USSR, at which point I want to take the Cold War and make it HOT. All depends on when and how fast things happen.

2. Mussolini

Part I:

1936 - 1940
    The first few years of the game went as expected. Growing conflict in Europe, conflict in Asia. The usual players made their usual moves. German, Italy, Japan formed the Axis and Poland fell.

Japan invaded the Chinese Nations and enforced their victory conditions there - Manchuria, Menchuko and Nationalist China as Puppets, Coastal Region to the Chinese (along with Shanxi), and Yunnan even joined the Axis. Once France fell, the Japanese also gained Indochina as a region of control.

In Europe, Poland fell as did the Low Lands before France. The Nationalists also won the Spanish Civil War and the Italians have invaded British-Egypt and East Africa.

By August of 1940, Europe was under Axis Control and the Balkans were on the verge of being invaded.

Part II: The USA Enters the War

Events lined up and I was able to enter the war. Japan even DOW'd be in advance, starting the Pacific War years in advance. My Radar Stations in Guam, Midway, and HI were operating at full levels by this point, giving me what I call a Radar Screen across the Pacific. This should help me monitor the movements of the Japanese fleets and locate them with my own Navies much easier. It also lets me see what sorts of Troops are on the Islands around Guam and will allow me to develop and Island hopping plan while not being blindsided by Japanese Navies.

My first step was using my Marines who would win countless medals through out the conflict with the Japanese, leading Dozens of Naval Invasions on Islands. I started with the most Eastern Japanese Islands and moved Westwards, taking out major ports on those Islands against the Japanese. Through out my Island Hopping, my Navies occasionally ran into the Japanese Navy, both sides taking damage but the Japanese losing ships while mine remained floating. Minor victories, and no Aircraft Carriers sunk, but still eliminating the Japanese Naval Threat.

July of 1940 saw the very first US Marines Division launch its first successful attack. (*Note: The Marines never failed in any of their landings).

By August, I had reached the Palau Island even as Europe fell to the Axis. I had not lost a battle against the Japanese yet either.

October of 1940 saw a major advancement in the War against Japan. It was the first time US Ships and Troops were decidedly in Hostile Waters - a combined Marine and the 1st Mountain Army invaded Taiwan. This was deemed a necessary first step of reaching the Main Islands of Japan as it could be used as a staging area and allowed land-based aircraft to be within range of some more Japanese Islands.

November saw such plans launched, a Naval Invasion of Nagasaki commenced. The landings were successful, but the Japanese then poured troops onto the south island, resulting in heavy losses on both sides. But my achievement, and goal, had been reached - I had finally invaded the Japanese main Islands a few months after war had broken out!

The fighting soon turned into a stalemate, both sides staring at each other across a River on the mountainous southern Island. Any sort of attempt to attack across the river was met with severe resistance by both sides. But I had the advantage. Japan was pouring all its troops into the battle. I only had 1 Mountain Army (5 Divisions of Mtn Troops) along with my 3 Divisions of Marines. This was a small proportion of my Army. But it was clear to me that I needed reinforcements, so I sent my 1st Corps (5x Infantry Divisions) from the East Coast over to Japan. I timed their arrival with more Marines invading the Southern Island, behind enemy lines.

This led to a major breakthrough as the Japanese were now being attacked from both sides. Some deft maneuvering saw me eliminate a large portion of all Japanese remaining forces on the South Island, losses that they could not replace. However, this took place in February of 1941, giving you an idea of how heavy and intense the fighting on the Southern Island was. Losses were far heavier for the Japanese then for myself and I believe at this point I moved a 2nd Mountain Army (5xMtn Divisions) to Japan as the Main Island of Japan was a much larger area to have to cover.

Phase 1 of my Invasion of Japan was complete.

Invasion Palau:
    View attachment 17733

Invasion of Taiwan:
    View attachment 17734

Operation Invasion Japan. Three Phases, combined arms of Marines, Mountain Troops, Infantry, and Special Forces Airborne:
    View attachment 17735

Nagasaki Falls: (Note the River slightly to the North)
    View attachment 17736

River in the North, Marines in the South, Japanese forces cut off from their entry point:
    View attachment 17737

The Island is Mine, with over 140,000+ Japanese loses rounded up into a Pocket:
    View attachment 17738

Phase 1 Complete. Phase 2 Initiated.
    View attachment 17739

3. Mussolini

Victory Pacific!

Phase 2 of the Invasion of Japan soon commenced, once units had time to reorganize and rest. In the meantime, the US Navy was trading fire with the Japanese Navy, both heavily damaged from the constant combat around the Homeland of Japan but with the Japanese taking the brunt of things. Their Navy certainly could not stop the further Invasion of the Home Islands.

Phase 2 went off with out a hitch, the Marines quickly taking ground before being replaced by Infantry units to mop up. The Marines were needed for Phase 3, which was launched immediately. Reports suggested that the main Japanese Army had been defeated - with plenty of troops still left in China - and this was confirmed when the initial landings (including a Para-drop by Special Forces units in the Western end of the Main Island) revealed only Garrison units. The bulk of the Japanese Homeland Defense seems to have been wiped out in Phase 1.

This allowed for a much-easier-then-expected final conquest of Japan. Tokyo soon fell and the Emperor quickly signed Surrender Papers. Japan, and all of its territories, were now part of the Mighty United States. May 2nd, 1941 will be a day of Infamy.

This brought a huge portion of land under US Control. It was decided to liberate - and puppet - several countries. Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Shanxi, Manchuria, Mengoku, and Indochina were all either Liberated and Puppeted, or simply Puppeted. A large coastal region of China, however, remained under US Control. This was all good news for the Allies though it was looking more like the United States would be fighting the rest of the War on its own.

The United Kingdom, during all this time, had lost all of its African Holdings to the Italians, along with Iraq. Even more worrying was the successful Italian invasion of Gibraltar. It seemed the US Marines would be heading back to the Med. Sea in the near future.

As the Japanese Invasion forces headed halfway around the world, back to the US East Coast, and garrison units were sent to China to protect the holdings there, I started to contemplate my best strategy for invading Festung Europe. Part of me wants to follow the Historical Approach, launching a preemptive Operation Torch (which would mean DOW'ing Vichy France) before heading East along North Africa to reclaim important territories there, which will also be used as a launch point for an invasion of Europe. This part of the plan I think makes the most sense and should allow my superior forces to outmaneuver and destroy the Italian forces in Africa while liberating some Allies.

However, knowing the British have virtually no Army left, my next course of action proves problematic. Do I attack the soft underbelly of Europe first, forced into a Narrow, Mountainous approach up the Boot of Italy, sure to face stiff opposition there, but with the hope of knocking the Italians out of the War? Or do I invade Norway, liberate it, and attack Finland a few hundred miles away from the Finnish/Russian Border war? I would potentially knock Finland out of the War, prevent the Russians from doing so, while also aiding the Russians against the Germans in the North. Or do I launch Operation Overlord, and invade Mainland Europe instead? I think I need to pick two of the above options - Africa and either Norway, Italy, or Europe...a tough decision either way.

4. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I admire your patience at sifting through these complex scenarios.....I have no gaming knowledge to speak of............

5. Mussolini

I haven't been able to play HOI3 much lately, but am trying to get a little game time in now. I am certainly no expert at this game, and am using a different troop makeup then I normally do, but apparently this is the way you're supposed to compose your troops. Fighting Japanese Troops will pale in comparison to a mighty, million+ strong German Army (and its not so great allies). I am probably screwed if Germany beats Russia. My Army is just not big enough on its own (need a two front war) not to mention the Supply Issues of crossing the Atlantic.

6. Mussolini

Invasion Europa!

American Transports flood the Pacific. It is quickly apparent that the Transport fleet is too small for the US Army to move quickly so more Landing Craft and Transports are commissioned though won't be ready for some time. But the news is good - there are no more American Convoys being sunk now that the Pacific has been pacified. Resources have never been a problem for the USA either and now that the US controls most of Asia and its resources, it is hoped that the Germans will slowly start to starve.

Attention has also now been focused on Europe. The Germans have finally linked up with the Finns, but haven't made much progress in the South, though that seems to be rapidly changing. Moscow is not very far from the front - even the shortest ranged aircraft would be capable of bombing it now based on distance. Gibraltar and Malta are also under Italian control, as is all of North Africa and the Mid East. The British are unable to advanced North from East Africa (likewise, the Italians can't move south) due to the open deserts there.

I decided it was time to invade. My Marines of much repute landed in Gibraltar, freeing the British Navy trapped in the Med. Sea area. Another invasion saw the first Italian lands come under American possession - Corsica. Those invasions were quickly followed by Invasions of Sicily and Tripoli, with American Armor quickly darting along the coast from Tripoli all the way to Tobruk, defeating (with ease, and a slight supply problem) the Italian Army in Libya. Movement on the mountainous Sicily, on the other hand, is slow and the German/Italian forces there were able to mostly escape before US Mountain Troops (Fresh from Japan) could cut them off.

Meanwhile, the US Carrier fleets have engaged Italian and German ships. Italians have lost a few ships, and two US Destroyers were sunk. More importantly, during the invasion of Sicily, some transport ships were sunk though it is believed the Marines succesfully disembarked before this happened. The Pride of the Italian Fleet was reportedly sunk and the German Bismarck has been sighted off the coast of Italy but has thus far escaped American Ships while taking damage.

1941 is slowly winding down and soon it will be time to invade France!