Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"The War" Great Show

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by wes1, May 19, 2008.

1. wes1

wes1 Member

:p:pHas any body seen "The War" that was on PBS about a year ago? I think it was a great show, does any body else think so?

See this below

HTML:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sRv7PXU-l2E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sRv7PXU-l2E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Sgt.pepper

Sgt.pepper Member

I did watch about 2 hours of it then i had to get some work done. Wanted to watch more, was thinking of buying it but at Best Buy its 95 or so dollars and i need to save my money for something else but all in all the 2 hours or so i watched were very good.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I saw most of it and thought it was very tastefully made. Ken Burns did an exceptional job as usual. It's out on DvD but not sure of the selling price?

4. diddyriddick

diddyriddick Member

Lol! I was whistling Ashokan Farewell(theme for The Civil War) when I saw this post. So you can all guess that I'm a Ken Burns fan. I'm saving my pennies.

David

5. Mats

Mats Member

It might be the same as they show now in Sweden. Something like 16 parts of each 50-55 minutes. I´ts about 3 - 4 different American cities and what happened to them and their inhabitants during WW2 (is that right?)
    When we see it here in Sweden there are swedish subtitles (is that correct?) but if anybody is interested I have it recorded.

Best regards
    Mats

6. indianajdp

indianajdp Member

Was able to pick this one up for about $70 the week it came out at Best Buy and I literally spend the next three days watching the DVDs. Loved every minute of this series.

7. cd13

cd13 Member

Yep, seen it and loved it. Since I can't afford the DVDs yet, I keep all the episodes DVR'd so I can watch them whenever I want. Great series. Highly Recommended if you haven't seen it yet!

8. bigfun

bigfun Ace

That's a good price, I saw it at Borders for about $80. I haven't watched the whole thing, waiting to buy my copy of this one! What I did see of it was fantastic!

9. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Never missed an episode. The advantage of being in the middle time zone is that we get PBS Detroit and PBS Spokane, so whichever time I was able to be home that was the episode we watched. It was well done - as always it seems like there are some things missed, but I was very impressed that they did as comprehensive a job as they did.

10. Mats

Mats Member

Hi everyone!

I have only seen some of the series which I liked very much, but I would not be surprised if someone says that it is "very american"

Mats

11. krieg

krieg Ace

the fue parts i did see i liked , very american .. or not i have it on order
    should be here soon
    cheers krieg:D