Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The World Cup Thread

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Mussolini, Jun 3, 2010.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Looks like the octopus was right again!

2. efestos

efestos Member

You're right, I've seen. Despite "few" beers. The curious habit of winning by a single goal it´s near to kill me. I hope the lack of marksmanship of our forwards will not cost us an upset in the final.

Robben and company deserve all respect.

3. efestos

efestos Member

I guess it´s been cooked now, ask Za Rodinyu. Pica-Pica...:D

4. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So no final between Holland and Germany after all. Well congrats Spain, they will be second now..... ( I hope)

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I think Netherlands vs Spain will be a highly entertaining game, but favor Spain 2 - 1 Netherlands.

Either way, an Arsenal player comes home with the World Cup :)

7. Clark

Clark Member

Disappointed that Germany lost. I don't why they thought that tactic would work in the first half. They played so slow, and could barely get the ball. In the second half they started playing better, but it was too late. Ah well, hopefully they get 3rd place. I guess I'll be cheering on Netherlands for now.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Spain was way better. Germany did not start playing until they were 1 down to be honest. Congrats Spain. Still a possible bronze for Germany and a medal is always a good thing...

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

germany not the same play as earlier in tournament, but then what happened to spain! finally look like a team on a mission? ramos should have been red carded, for podolski stamping, and germany definately denied a penalty, and my mother-in-law possibly robbed of hamper? as she had germany in the banks prize raffle...:eek:;)

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Germany had some nice opportunities as Spain could not score but for example Kroos shot the ball straight at Casillas. The goal was possible due to Puyol´s run into the box just like early in the game, this time not missing the goal. Usually Mertesacker was winning all the high balls but this time the German defence was expecting the ball closer to the goal line from the corner and Puyol could head it without interference. I think Pique also stopped a German defender from getting to the ball at the same time. That was all they needed.

Xavi will be footballer of the WC and 2010!

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

xavi eh kai, o.k. then, the golden boot? all to play for, Sneijder (Holland) 5
    Villa (Spain) 5
    but who will shine thro!!!!!!! on sunday..

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Xavi is the man in the middle creating the game. Iniesta is usually his excellent co-partner. Yesterday Xavi was brilliant. How many goals Villa scored last night? ;) To he Honest I have my money on Villa for being the best scorer of the WC games...

One view from the teamtalk pages I totally agree:

"For me, the most impressive thing was not the circulation of the ball in the center of the pitch - Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso's constantly probing the German defense for weaknesses - although that in and of itself was a joy to behold; the more impressive thing was rather, that upon losing the ball - which they hardly ever did - the spaniards were frightningly quick to re-apply pressure, often high up on the pitch, and regain possession. So, not only were their attacking football amazingly fluid, the Spain team also managed to completely disrupt any kind of build up the Germans might have had."

13. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

spain never let them settle! that's very true kai..

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Holland deserves the cup: after 1974 and 1978 it's time for the curse to be lifted.

15. Mussolini

As far as history of the teams, I'm split on who deserves - Spain has never been to the Final before, the Netherlands have twice. 3 times the charm?

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

May the best team win! This time hopefully both teams are playing attacking football instead of 0-0-defensive.

17. Clark

Clark Member

Germany won 3rd place! Very good game, 3-2. This is how Germany should of played against Spain! Very close last kick goal for Forlan. Great game.

18. Mussolini

One wonders whether Forlans free kick would have gone just under the cross bar if the Ball didn't float so much ^-^

Certainly looking forward to tomorrows final!

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

one of the more exciting second half's of the whole world cup, got to see the last 20 minutes after a 50 mile hot sweaty bike ride

Sloniksp likes this.
  20. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

pleased for the germans..well done team...