Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

This is either going to be a good idea or a bad idea..Hopefully it will open a deep discusiion.

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by sdkfz251, Oct 5, 2012.

1. sdkfz251

sdkfz251 Member

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to this site so I'm not at all sure if this subject has been approached on the site. I would like to open a discourse on the subject of the Holocaust..the causes,the people responsible etc..It is a very dangerous ground to cover I know..it brings out passions and feelings that would maybe stay unseen,but I feel it has a huge part to play in the reasons for WW2..I am no anti-semite or believer in Nazi Ideology..I read about it from the standpoint of a researcher and historian trying to gain a deeper understanding into the whole horrendous period of history.
    I have spent many years collecting all I can on the Holocaust in book form,video etc..anything for a deeper understanding of why it was ever allowed to happen. I am not sure if the subject has been covered on this site already if it has please forgive me for re-hashing an open topic.

Steve in the USA

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Very touchy subject that has led to some discord in the past. I suggest you approach a senior moderator (Not a trustee) about this idea and how it could be framed.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hello Steve, by using the research buttom you will find many topics about this already.

4. sdkfz251

sdkfz251 Member

I wrote to one of the super moderators on the subject I hope I did the right thing?

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I got an email from you concerning this subject proposal, and while I understand your desire to open up such a section it has been tried in the past a number of times and sadly it almost always degenerates into a conflict between the "skeptics/deniers" and those of us who understand the policy of the Nazis and its application to real humans.

I think that an open and historically based discussion could be a "good thing", when it is opened up far too many followers of people like David Irving appear and ruin it for everybody. You wouldn't believe the number of folks who harbor that false premise as a reality, and are more than willing to both share it and take over a section of our beloved forum if given a chance. We get tired of banning, and blocking them in reality since the posts must be read in order to be judged, and consequently "not worth the effort".

Sorry Steve, it is unlikely that such a thread will be opened up again due to the past experiences we have had here with similar sections. I am replying in the "open" rather than by private message, or email so that others may comment "in the clear" if they wish.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Unfortunately, Clint is correct. The Holocaust is worthy of rational discussion, but it has been tried many times, and those "skeptics" have taken over and ruined most of the threads where such discussion originated. Use the Advanced Search function on the upper right, and type in "holocaust" to read some of the threads.

7. sdkfz251

sdkfz251 Member

Thank you for the reply and being so open about this..I find it hard to understand why people are determined to make a mockery of such horror and destruction by denying it is way beyond me. The fact that you have to close threads and discussions because the same old blowhards and idiots have to show up and ruin anything being sensibly discussed by people genuinely interested in a deeper understanding. I believe Irving was made a fool of when he tried to deny the gassings in Auschwitz..the evidence is overwhelming and still these idiots refuse to be rational about this subject. I find it hard to grasp that these people are still determined to wreck debate on this site of all sites.I do find it increasingly disturbing that a lot of these awful people are so badly informed it's frightening. I've read the rubbish that was supposed to justify millions of deaths..and it is rubbish..Rossenberg,Hitler's monotonous scribblings,Speers sanctimonious self righteous scrawls..and the most odious of works..the protocols..how anyone can see any truth in such rubbish is truly disturbing..I went out of my way to get these books because I wanted to see for myself the truth behind the lies..only by reading these turgid vile writings could I see the facts more clearly. Hoess's book is truly horrifying..the mechanical and indifferent way he describes the mass destruction all round him is mind numbing..A lot of these deniers base their understanding of the Holocaust on second hand drivvle by the likes of Irving..sadly too many people respect Irving and his ilk for all the wrong reasons. I'm saddened to hear that the idea of intelligent discussion on this subject is doomed to fail because of the minority of trouble makers. I accept sadly your ruling and understand fully. Thank you for taking the time to explain to me..

Steve in the USA

8. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Steve, first you are welcome for the reply and I too find it disheartening that a civil and informative discussion covering this episode in man's inhumanity to his fellow man. If you have never run across this internet site, I will highly recommend it and give you the link. Be sure to open up all the side bars and highlighted sections in the text. This is especially interesting since it is compiled by a Nazi statistician (Korherr), while the killing was going on. Again, you are welcome for the reply.

Goto:

The Korherr Report

9. sdkfz251

sdkfz251 Member

Thank you for the link..It is indeed sobering and chilling to read of such destruction of life in such a indifferent,cold mechanical way. Even if you read hundreds of books on the subject for years on end you still walk away with a total disbelief in the whole history of the Holocaust..I don't mean like deniers who deliberately try and trash anything to do with the Holocaust,but the feeling the enormity of such a crime is beyond even a basic understanding. It's beyond grasping. I Know the facts,the evidence the whole dreadful and disgusting part of history..I know it happened,it's just such a huge crime it's hard to take in. How could so many people from not just Germany,but all over Europe willingly join in to destroy so many innocent people? It beggars belief.