Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

those who were left at home

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by scrounger, Mar 19, 2011.

1. scrounger

scrounger Member

Hello; When I think what it would be like to have one of your children in a war , the constant worry, the feeling of dread every time you hear of more casualties . I can't help about think of my grandfather . He was a wounded veteran of World War One ( hit in the back by a machine gun bullet in 1918 ) who saw three of his sons go off to fight in World War Two. My dad joined the Navy his brother Bill was in the merchant marine and dad's youngest brother joined the Canadian Army. Unlike me who has never been in the military he knew firsthand what they were in for having survived the trenches of The Great War . Sadly his concerns came true, his youngest son ,my uncle victor was killed in action in Sept 1944 during the attack on the German channel Fort at Boulogne in France. It'a a tragedy having just survived a war he had to lose a son in another...

2. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks for sharing that with us. My Great Grandmother saw seven boys off to war and I am amazed to think of her strength she had in dealing with that.

Thankfully, by the grace of God, each one of them came home and in one piece (including my grandfather).

We have some very special members here that share their stories about their children's deployment around the world. Its always riveting news to hear about real heroes out there, and even better news to hear that they are ok in each update.

3. scrounger

scrounger Member

Thank you; My Grandfather's only request to my father was that if he had another son would he name him Victor. Shortly after this my brother was born and dad named him Victor .. View attachment 12919

Attached Files:

4. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Thank you for sharing that. If I have another son, I'd like to name him after my great uncle. Its a family name from way back and stopped with his death. I figured since he was unable to have children to pass the name down, I would like to do it.

Did your grandfather talk much about WWI? I am wanting to learn more, my grandpa's dad fought in WWI but wasn't a talker on his best days so no one knows anything he did.

Krystal

5. scrounger

scrounger Member

Hello; Unfortunately he did not talk much about the war. and his uniforms , hat and the rest of his wartime memorabilia was lost in a fire in the early 60's. What I've discovered I have done so myself . Library and archives Canada has 600,000 soldiers sign up papers now on line. Their military records are available in Ottawa at Archives Canada, World War Two records are still closed except for those who were killed . As for American records I'm not sure, but no doubt some of your world War One service records should be available I suggest you search your National Archives ,Good luck...

6. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Thank you, I had my grandpa fill out the forms for the records but they were lost in the fire along with so many others. National Archives asked for more information so the they could look other places for them, but the info they are asking is the same info we don't have and were hoping they did.