Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Thread Display

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Bob Guercio, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Bob Guercio

Bob Guercio Dishonorably Discharged

Hi All,

The following instructions concerning thread displays are from the FAQs :

Can I change the order of threads?
    You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.

When I am in a thread, I don't see "Display Mode".

Am I simply missing it or is there a trick that I don't understand?

Thanks,

Bob Guercio

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

That is something that needs changing.

Look in User CP, under Setting and Options, select Edit Options. Scroll to the bottom, under Miscellaneous Options and you can change it there.

3. Bob Guercio

Slipdigit,

This is not what I was looking for. These settings provide for the amount of diversity that you have when posting messages. For example, with the enhanced interface, you are able to put smilies in with the text and you are able to change the font format. However, with the standard text interface, you cannot do this. I'm sure there are other differences that I have not noted.

What I am looking for has to do with how the thread itself is displayed.

According to the FAQs, a threaded display is possible although, at this point, I really don't think that is true.

The following is cut and pasted from the FAQs:

Can I change the order of threads?
    You have a choice over how you view threads. When you're in a thread, look at the top bar. On the right hand side you'll see 'Display Mode'. Click on this and it lets you change how posts are ordered.
    You have three choices:
    Linear Mode - posts are displayed chronologically, usually from oldest to newest. Posts are shown in a flat mode so that many posts can be viewed simultaneously. It is possible to change the ordering by changing your preferences in the User CP
    Threaded Mode - a tree is shown along with every post. This shows you the relationship each post has to the others. It's easy to see who responded to whom. Only one post is shown at a time. By clicking on a single post in the post tree, the page will show that post and all posts made in response to it.
    Hybrid Mode - This is a mixture of the linear and threaded modes. The post tree is displayed as in the threaded mode, but many posts are shown at the same time as in the linear modes.

The following is a cut and paste example of a threaded display:

Michael Fitz A few thoughts after I visited Dads Grave in the Hermanville War Cemetary in Normandy 14-01-2009, 03:55 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG] ramacal Michael Thank you for sharing a very private & personal experience. To stand in front of your Fathers grave must have been one of the hardest things you must have endured. Robert. 14-01-2009, 04:08 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG] sapper With respect what was his Regiment or Corps. sapper 14-01-2009, 04:18 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] ramacal Sapper - The details are on the thread just below this one. Same division as yours if I'm correct. If not, apologies in advance. Robert 14-01-2009, 04:30 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG] urqh What for? For me. Thanks for sharing 14-01-2009, 04:30 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] von Poop Quite. I don't think I'll merge this one with the information seeking thread ("http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/nw-europe/17185-trying-glean-information-re-my-fathers-battle-group-normandy.html") as it's such a moving personal piece. Thanks Michael. ~A 14-01-2009, 09:34 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG] Tom Canning Sapper - can't find the regiment as Ramacal suggests - but it sounds like he was with the Regina Rifles who led the assualt on Juno - Nan Green beach, with 3rd Canadian Div. a worthwhile tale told ! 14-01-2009, 05:15 PM.
    [​IMG][​IMG] Smudger Jnr Michael, Welcome to the forum. You posted an extremely powerful and moving testament in memory of your father. Thankyou for sharing. Regards Tom 14-01-2009, 05:50 PM.Prev [​IMG] [​IMG] Next

Notice how ramacal has responded to sapper's post and sapper has responded to Michael Fritz's post.

Thank you,

Bob Guercio

4. Slipdigit

I looked at the wrong section when typing my reply. What you want is two sections above and on the same page of what I directed you to> Thread Display Options. You may have to click the double arrows to the right to expand it.

5. Bob Guercio

Slipdigit,

This allows only the linear mode, ascending or descending order.

I don't think that we have the option of a threaded mode. However, if I am correct, it would be great if it could be implemented.

Thanks again,

Bob

6. Slipdigit

That would be something that Otto would have to address.

7. Bob Guercio

Thanks Slipdigit,

I'm going to presume that I am correct since, if threads could be viewed as I have described, I would expect someone using that mode to jump in.

Nobody's jumped in on this!

Bob