Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tibet

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by dave phpbb3, Mar 1, 2006.

1. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What is the story behind tibet when the chinese took it over? open warfare or was it taken over by insurgents?

2. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    It was taken by large scale assualt.

3. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Much the same story as when us Brits invaded the century before. The Tibetan army was just no match for the invading forces.

4. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

so why didn't anybody help them?

5. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Good question.

6. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    With a good answer - do you want to meet the Chinese Army in the field?

And if you have the resources to actually stop them, then do you really want to risk a nuclear war?

According to China, Tibet was 'rightfully theirs' (I believe China once owned Tibet, many many years ago).

7. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    More to the point, how do you get troops and heavy weapons into landlocked Tibet? The nearest ports to Tibet, IIRC, are Chinese.

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    No - you can go via India or Bangladesh. However, neither country would really want to let you, as this would undoubtedly antagonise China, which is a bad idea when China is your neighbour...

9. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i belive macarther said:anyone who contemplates commiting american troops to the asian mainland should have his head examined...

10. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks for the correction, Ricky. And I agree that annoying the Chinese when they are your neighbors is a bad idea.

11. kiatido

kiatido New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Tibet was Hans Tang Dynasty Clientate state in AD599. Hans didn't actually invade Tibet. It is until Manchus Qing invade Tibet in AD1791 because they sense that Tibet is getting outta their control. By AD1910, Qing Dynasty collapses and Tibet was being left alone for a while until the Brits starts to insert their presence in north India, Nepal and Tibet. The area was subsequently being used as a logistics route in WW2 against Japs. After Communist Chinese took control, in order to regain their cultural, historal and national pride, they invade Tibet and drove dalai lama, then the ruler of Tibet to India. It is because the India government have been showing support for Dalai Lama, that in ard AD1962, a small scale border war erupted between the India and Chiese Red army. The Chinese reds won all battles but never invade southwards, only meant to show India and CIA (yes, they behind the plot) that they meant business.

Tibet has always been Hans minority states to the East of China, Over hundreds of years, they are already being "Hanised". Therefore In my opinion, Not being a country, Tibet should rightfully be China's.

12. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Dalai Lama (leader of Tibet at tiem of invasion) asked other countries for help but noone would do it. The Buddists believe in non-violence therfore they just let them into the country without a fight.

13. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The exiled Dalai Lama has "family" living here in Bloomington, Indiana and he was here a few years ago to dedicate and bless a spiritual temple located just outside the city. (I believe Steven Segal also attended the dedication.) There is a strong Tibetan presence here.
    We also have one of very-few Tibetan restaurants in the nation owned and operated by his family. Ping Jasha--bean-thread-- is one of my favorite exotic dishes... and they can really spice-it-up and make it HOT!
    I'm hoping I see him walking the streets of Bloomington one-day, so I can greet him and say "Hello Dalai!"
    hehe.

Tim

14. kiatido

kiatido New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think you miss the fact that CIA was very very much involved in armed resistance when the Red chinese march into Tibet. Tibetian Rebel have been trained in USA soil (around Platoon size) on weapon and small unit tactics. They have been flown back to Tibet, inflicated some Reds Causalties but eventually wiped out by overwhelwing Red chinese Div. CIA eventually losses interest and withdrawal from ops and left the CIA trained Rebel to die, very much like the South Viets in 1975 and Kurbs in 1992.

In any case, the Tibetian DID not open their door and let the Chinese in without a fight. The Monks fought back, not with Shaolin KongFu but with Rifles and Grenades.

15. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    It should be pointed out that not everybody in Tibet is a monk...

Both recent major invasions of Tibet (British then Chinese) met armed resistance. The British had the technological edge (guns vs swords) , the Chinese the numerical edge.

16. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yes the cia did train a few tibetens to resist mao,the greatest murderer in history...is that a bad thing?....the cia pulled back when nixon thawed relations in the seventies...orders. as for the south viets they had ten years to show a little aggressivness in the field ,that shoulda been enough.....

17. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    Okey since you sound so sure about Chairman Moa being the greatest murderer, can you give some examples? Only because 10s of millions people died under his political oversight dosent mean he killed them. I beleive it was their horrible policies that contributed to the great famine.

[/quote]

18. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    well gunter, i dont think hitler himself actually shot any jews or poles...it was just his political oversite that was to blame...ditto pol pot and sweet old uncle joe ...

19. Gunter_Viezenz

via TanksinWW2
    Question since you brought it up; If it was really done for Hitler how come it was named Operation Heydrich and not Operation Hitler?

But in fact I dont think you can compare the two in that way. I don't beleive Chairman Mao intended to have his people starve like that as he was he was a much better leader in war than a leader of Politics. Moa was probably as good or evan better than many of the famous Generals of the West. Also he did revolutionize China which was not a bad idea except for the fact they did it too quick. Also that was not the first large famine that had occured in China during its history.

What my point is one was intentional and the other was not. Unless you can give proof and convince me that the statement is false, then I must stand by the statement I just made.

20. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    gunter ...i doubt mao,s intentions would mean much to the thousands ...er, tens of thousands ..nope , wait..... millions of ordinary chinese peasents who died a nice slow death for ag reform programs which had already killed ...millions in russia and ukraine ...both programs were ruthlessly stuffed down the throats of the rural farmers with rifle butts.. we have holocaust museums ,we have litrature and art about the gulags...what of the countless dead chinese...right ! ....nobody cares...i guess cause their chinese....but mao ..he was a good guy ..really ,he didnt mean it.anyone can make a mistake ..or a few million. ah ...the workers paradise diet plan ...million lose weight and stay slim ....permanetly!!