Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

To CLEAN or NOT to clean?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Gregpittenger, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Gregpittenger

Gregpittenger New Member

I've got an Alles for Deutchland dagger and scabbard. The handle is wrapped in tape and the blade has some 70 year-old tarnish on it. The handle may be in perfect shape underneath or could be a field repair (I have no idea). The blade is still quite legible (& sharp) and would really shine with a buffing.

The question is, does it LOSE value if I clean it? Does a collector want it in its current condition or cleaned up?

Attached Files:

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The trouble is that your SA knife has been cleaned before. the writing should be in black .What you could do is clean it with alcohol and when it's dry , add some black shoe polish which will stay more deeply on the writing when you polish it with a cloth .

3. Gregpittenger

Gregpittenger New Member

So, yes, clean it, before trying to sell it?

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I agree with Skipper. Clean it gently with some alcohol (or a similar agent) by hand. I'd avoid the boot polish to bring out the lettering, but that's just personal preference.

Whatever you do, do not 'permanently' modify it. This includes sharpening, grinding, sanding or machine buffing it. This will remove most collector value.