Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

To Hell and Back, 1955 film

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by belasar, May 31, 2020.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

This film is the second installment of the "Classic War Collection" multi-dvd set, and like Wake Island, a movie I have not watched in full for many years. There was a time before cable or satellite TV when movies like these were staples of Sunday afternoon couch potato viewing (Saturday was reserved for Sci Fi/Horror flick's) And yes dinosaur's still roamed the land and we all walked 5 miles to school, uphill, both ways, in the driving snow.

This is a bio-pic of the most highly decorated combat soldier in the US army in WW II, portrayed by Audie Murphy himself. It depicts his hard scrabble early life in depression era Texas, efforts to join the military under age and military exploits once accepted by the army in Italy and southern France. The movie is straight forward and predictable in execution and somewhat sanitized as most period bio-pics from that era. There are hints of some of the more harsh reality's of modern war, but it remains a 'good guys vs bad guys' kind of film.

Made in 1955 it has the usual mix of period correct equipment and post war American kit redressed as German, though at times I swore I saw some German's wearing WW I era helmets. The battle sequences are reasonably exciting if a little staged in execution.

Murphy a veteran of many films, mostly B movie westerns, is not a great actor and would have never gone into acting absent his wartime heroic's. He is ably supported by era movie and TV actors of the time, some you might recognize even if the names elude you. Neither great or objectionable it is enjoyable enough if you set your mind on low power.

I still have some fondness for the film for sparking my interest in WW II as a wee lad....when not dodging those pesky dinosaur's.

2. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..Murphy's acting is not good at all.....of course there has to be a girl in one of the scenes, as with a lot of these type movies...I have it on DVD....an oldie, but not a goodie
    ...the farmhouse scene is fun to watch--but not that great
    ..maybe I heard it wrong, but I thought David Janssen calls for an adjustment of the arty in the wrong direction?..I'll have to watch it again

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..well the naval gunfire impacts are to the right, it looks like..and Jansenn keeps adjusting to the right ...at least that's the way I see and hear it..and the impacts look ''small'' for naval gunfire

4. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Personally I put this movie about in the middle pack of war movies..not great but not terrible either...jumping on top of that burning tank and mowing down a company of enemy soldiers was the highlight of the movie for me...liked the Red Badge of Courage better...but that's just me.

bronk7 likes this.