Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Today we haved recieved................. ................. ...............

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by C.Evans, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Bish OBE

Bish OBE Member

I see you have meet mine then.

2. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Though last year we discovered that the camp RSM isnt half so scary when he is running away from the shower block butt naked at 4AM, well, not till he turns round ;)

On a serious note, I feel very honored to be on possibly the only forum on the net that is regularly read by WW2 veterans. Hopefully there will come a time when they feel willing to add their voices to our discussions cast light on things the rest of us can only read about in books. I have spent time on at least 10 WW2 forums but I have to say (rather sadly) that this is the only one that didnt constantly have the same arguments (not discussions but arguments) about what weapon was best or were the SS really that bad etc and was not innundated with far right and left wing people who refused to allow anyone to express any point of view contrary to their own. Thanks Carl for all the hard work you do with the Vets etc and thanks to the owner (Otto?) for having simply the best WW2 forum on the net.

Marry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you and may you see many more.

3. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

Wow. I can't believe this. I feel bad that I didn't read this till today. Its great that the vets like this site. I can't think of much to say right now, since after reading all of this I'm way to excited and surprized. I'll make a better post once I've calmed down.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Bish, I think I met your Sar-maj, when I was at the Natl Guard Camp in Mineral Wells, Tx when I was a wee 18 yrs old.

Seriously though--I liked all the Sergeants I met these and one was a Sar-major who had been in ww2. Actually--the only Sergeant I didnt like was Sgt. Roper--he was a miserable such-n-such.

I had to laugh at him every time he gritted his teeth--he reminded me of a Peeronna (i cant spell that teethy fish's name just now) None of the other Sgts liked him either--this guy was a USMC Sgt--BUCK Sgt, all the rest had a lot of fruit salad on their uniforms and were higher Sgts--but Roper had only a service award on his uniform.

Thanks Stephan and Pzgdr for the nice compliments. Otto is the site owner and has done a lot me work than I could dream of for this site. As I am lucky to have a few things to show and tell here--I like to do so here.

The first time I saw this site--I liked it immediately. I liked how people reacted to each other, and also shared info freely without the bitter arguments like on "that other" forum.

The vets I know who have spent some time here, are all impressed, and hopefully, I can get them to actually post something.

If not, I know they will send me something to post for them. I feel great at being a trusted friend.

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Wow. I would never have thought of WWII veterans taking the time to observe us. I hope our performance is making them proud. I know I have experienced nothing but excellent responses to my questions as I have attempt to answer accurately and courteously. Thanks for the insight to their greetings and lets keep up the excellent work.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Oh yeah, they Do like OUR stuff here.

There are three ongoing projects that will be exclusive to these forums that the vets know about which are:

1) A special project about U 181 and the U 181 vets. (They know I have been working on a project about them for about a year now and I finally have photos sent to Otto so he can creat the site. The text will come later as I have time to send it to Otto to post. The U 181 vets support this project and have said they will contribute when possible. Thanks to Karl kaiser and Michael muller, I do have some stuff to have there already. Many photos, and text as soon as I can.

2) Will be an ongoing project on Knights Cross Recipients. Timo has graciously sent much excellent info on the Knights Cross Recipients from the Leibstandarte SS Adolf Division ((LSSAH)). This will be a separate site on this site which as of now will include some 50 or so photos of Knights Cross Recipients, and will have as much info for each as I or anyone else can get their grape-like fingers on. Also, it is intentional to put some faces with the names. This project is liked by the Knights Cross recipients whom I have told them about this.

3) my final planned project for this site((untill I get the U 181 project and this one done)) will be on Uboat losses from 1939-1945. I am about 70% done with it ((i have been working on it for over a year and will probably take several more months or sooner, before I am satisfied with what I have. Its taking forever because there is well in access of 800+++ uboat losses in ww2. The U 181 vets also know and support me on this project as well.

In the future, when most of this is complete, I plan on doing a complete listing of all German Cross in Gold Recipients--all 27,000+++++++ DKiG Recipients. This will take an unspecified amount of time, and I will have some photos to go with these names as well--but very few as I do not have more than a few of them. ((Actually, I have several, but these are also Knights Cross Recipients and I dont know if Otto would care to waste space to have their photos posted twice.

[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Well I am very impressed for one. Would love to contribute somehow. Maybe I can continue with NJG 6 and throw in some othe NJG guys with pics and text and possibly extracts from their flugbuch's. This will be materials that I have on hand that will not be published by me for books that are in the works.......
    Carl, sounds like U will be busy for many years.
    Veit Scherzer completed his DK Luftwaffe winners book a few years back but it does not include receipients for much of 1945. 2 guys that I can think of that are night fighters that did receive the award in the closing weeks, and are fortunate to still have the awards and not stolen/removed from their uniform at the time of capitualtion. Quite an undertaking that your are performing sir !

E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sounds great.

Also, there is a much better book on the DKiG Recipients that is out, it is published by some company in Germany--I have their URL somewhere and will post it here when I can think of doing so. The book I think sells for about $55.00

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

If the book covers All the award winners, then it would be a steal. Veit's work just lists the soldier and dates of service/unit, but there are not any pics included. I've seen the book go for as much as $150.00, though I believe it is going for around $40.00 US if U can find a copy.

E

10. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I'd love to contribute to these projects or do a little one of my own. The only problem is I have no time and limited knowledge and resources at the moment. If only I had some time.

Mmmmmm.... If I drop out of school, quit all my sports teams, sent all my women away, and quit my job I'd actually have time to devote myself fully to ww2 research. Sadly thats out of the question. One good note is that I got christmas break which means I can catch up on reading my books (I've been going crazy trying to find time to read a new one I got on the waffen ss on the western front)

Seriously if there is anything I could do to help with any project just ask and I'll find the time to do it.

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Pzgrd.

You are ! By visiting these forums and makeing educated posts. contiue researching what you love, and read, read, read and compare notes. Build up a good library by visiting many web-sites and library's. find out where archiv's are kept and if they have a web-site(s), and then inquire about reference materials. For your generation the world is at your finger tips. Myself after 35 plus years, it has only opened up to me for the past 5 or so since the interenet has allowed many new keys especially for almost unknown or little referenced goods.
    Keep it up !

:cool: E

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I agree with Erich, ANYTHING you can contribute here matters greatly.

Ive been really into ww2 stuff since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper--thanks to my mother--COMBAT and Hogans Heroes on TV, and the important John Wayne war movies as well as Robert Mitchams war movies. Then Sgt. Rock and G.I.Combat and regular library books and all the books done by Gordon Davis who wrote the EXCELLENT series called: "The Sergeant".

13. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I have learned alot since the first time I came on this forum and I hope to continue learning and contributing to the forums. Man do I wish they would show hogan heroes reruns more often.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hogans Heroes is shown in TV Land channel on cable TV. I only get a fuzzy reception so it would be a waste of trying to tape it. :(

I do miss seeing Sgt Schultz (I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know...NOTHING)
    Colonel Klink (Hogaaaaaan Mmmmmmmmmmm)
    Major Hochstetter (WHERES COL. HOGAN!??)
    General Burkhalter (Off to the Russian Front!)
    Colonel Hogan (Heidi MMMmwah)
    Sgt Kinchloh (Message for Col.Hogan..London orders us to destroy the Hammelburg Road bridge by sunset today)
    Cpl Louie LeBeau (Schultz, have you tried my wine?)
    Cpl Newkirk (Carter, you are the worst bumbling oaf)
    Sgt Carter (My Indian name is: Running Deer Who Goes Swiftly Through Forrest)

Am I missing anyone? Oh yes, I miss Heidi too.

[ 26 December 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]</p>

15. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Another for Major Hochstetter: "What is this man doing here!!!"

Too funny!

16. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Only ever seen the last 3 min of Hogans Heroes, looks like i am missing something. I have to say that I am in a similar position to Panzergren, I was working on a WW2 web site but my other commitments got too much and I had to drop it. Cant do everything I am afraid and school had the upper hand. Oh well.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Stefan, you ever get a chance to see it, its a funny show. It definately isnt meant to be accurate in almost anyway--including uniforms and decorations, and is definately a thing that makes most German Soldiers look like oafs--even though we know they werent.

PS, I love that WW1 Prussian Officers Pickelhaube spiked helmet that Col. Hogans ASAAF Peaked visor sits on-which is sitting on Klinks desk--at least for that shot. A helmet like that is worth about $2,000 on todays market.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just got another letter from a uboat vet who has visited this site. I will tell you more about it when I have more time tomorrow. :D :D :D

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

And the U-boot veteran is or are ??????????????????????? [​IMG] [​IMG]

C-mon tell us......if you would like to.

:D

E I am about ready to put my Fuß through my monitar any second now.

be back soon, have to take some frustrations out on a couple of fruit trees......poor things are going to get a real good hack.

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Eeeeeee, I gave my word not to unless they gave me permission to do so. I can say that they are among my U 181 friends and one Uboat vet I met at 'th archiv' in Altenbruch. In fact, this uboat vet was also the 2nd Watch Officer on his uboat, same as Otto Giese was on U 181. ;) If they say its OK to mention their names--I will gladly post them. I'll have to ask first.