Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tomcat vs. Mussolini

Discussion in 'Combat Mission' started by Mussolini, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Tomcat and I have recently engaged in combat! Much death and destruction on both sides!

The first two games we started we have scrapped, in favor for two MASSIVE games.

In the first game, my initial success with Tanks abruptly turned fatal, but I was in control of both objectives. In the second game, one of my tanks got knocked out, but beyond that not much had happened.

Now, we have started two massive games instead. Both are 5000 Pt, Large Maps, Village or Rural, Moderate Treess, Small - Moderate Hills. No more than 2000 Pts of Armor, No Aircraft.

I am playing as the Axis in both games. The games being played are Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (CMBO) and Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin (CMBB).

I will be taking screenshots and video (of the video) clips through the course of the game and hope to be able to post an AAR about it. Sadly, due to Classified Military Intelligence, such screenshots and movies (for the most part) will not be posted until after the conclusion of the battles.

NOTE: If anyone else would like to take on der PanzerPeng...erm, Mussolini in Combat, feel free to PM me or reply here.

2. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I want to see!

3. Mussolini

You'll have to wait a year before that happens! Though I will post shots of Individuals who will not compromise by mission!

4. Joe

Joe Ace

Mussolini, after you've thrashed Tomcat would you mind coming and kicking my arse too? :D I love CM, even when I loose.

I have BO

Did I really just type that?

5. Mussolini

Didn't see the response to this thread, but sure! I'll send out first turn when i get home tonight.

Here's a teaser from the CMBO we are playing. It was all quiet until his scout car came along. Man, I LOVE 8's!

(Note: I hastily threw this video together this morning, pressed for time...Only three kills - the last segment is the same shot repeated. I thought one of my Panzergrenadiers knocked out the tank in the shot with the Infantry, as they were the only things targeting the tank. I have now come to the conclusion that my 88 Knocked it out, accidentally. My reasoning: no target line to 88, 88 must have shot over its original target (which it takes out later) and the shell must have hit that first tank...good shooting, boys!)

[​IMG]

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Now that was cool. Can't get it to load on my Vista laptop. And my XP box is on the fritz which explains the new laptop.

:rant: I HATE :bazookafire:VISTA!:uzi:

7. Mussolini

*shakes head* I dont know why anyone would get VISTA on their machine. Its crap, most games don't work with it, and you need a pretty good computer just to be able to run half the tings VISTA comes with.

8. Joe

Joe Ace

I share your feelings PzJgr, but thankfully I have XP on my PC, vista is on the laptop.

My dreams of playing HoI on the train where flung from the window a long time ago.

9. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Haha I naver acutally saw the Greyhound go up in flames that cool:)

And just to say the least that 88 is A PAIN IN MY SIDE lol and that damn jadgtiger on the hill:) good positioning though you thrashed my tanks.

I can see I am going to have a hard time in CMBO

And just with the first games you only won but default the game never finished:), in the first game we did I had the troops to push you of that hill:)

10. Mussolini

Whispers from the front are quickly spreading. By all sounds it seems like the Germans have defeated the Americans and the Russians! No reports yet on casualties, but a photographer at a distance has reported several plumes of smoke coming from the American positions! On the Eastern Front the sound of heavy small arms fire can be heard!

The game is far from over (turn wise) but Tomcat has conceded defeat in both games (verbally). We'll play them out, and this weekend i'll start putting together videos from both games, but this is what I will say:

In the CMBO game, my Panzergrenadiers and the one 88 ATG on my left flank have single handedly crippled his tank force. The last i checked, the ATG had killed 2 Shermans, 1 Greyhound, and 3 Infantry. My infantry (collectively) have killed or disabled 1 Greyhound, 2 Jumbo Shermans, and at least one other tank I think. My losses have been minimal, losing a Tiger to a lucky shot from a Tank Killer (not sure what sort of tank). I still have 2 Tigers, a Jagdtiger (ftw) and a Stug, vs. the 3 tanks he has left that are capable of killing a Tiger. Things are in my favor, esp. with all my tank-killing infantry.

In CMBB, by all accounts he only has 3 tanks capable of killing my Tigers, and one of those has a damaged gun. I've only lost a halftrack or two and have more tank-killing infantry in the woods. I have yet to see the latest turn video since my 'net at home is down, but I will work on putting together (painstakingly) some videos of the actions.

11. Tomcat

Yes My grand Armies have been conqueored :)
    Allow me to fill in some gaps for you with some AAR and some current information for you (lets just say that you have good recon:D)

CMBB- Tanks

2 - KV85's Operational
    3- JSI's 1 Operational
    1 Immobalised (that happened from the start:confused:)
    1 Main gun damaged (ready for the scrap heap, lucky shot from the tiger)

2 - Shermans both immobalised (not sure how, I don't hink from enemy fire :confused:)

2 - JSU 152's 1 Operational
    1 Immoabilsed:confused:

3 T34/Early Operational (not much good against tigers):(

Basically None of my operational tanks are in a position to tend to the 2 advancing tigers on my right flank except 1 JSI(WIth the damaged gun from one of the tigers) and a JSU 152 and 1 T34 (not enough to cover the area they are currentyl holding. My KV 85's are in a good defensive position except when the right flank falls(which it will) then they will be flanked.

OK now CMBO (the one I still have a little hope for)

4 M4 Shermans - Destoryed\Abondoned
    2 Jumbo's - 1 operational(on the far right flank not any good to me at the moment)
    1 - knocked out

3 Greyhounds - Operational(doing very well I might add but cant hold against a tiger)

1 M36 Jackons -Operational (thats the one that the destoryed your tiger)

1 M26 Pershing -Operational

2 M10 Wolverine's -Operational

and still plenty of infantry units with anti armour capabilities.

oh and musso the whispers from the front about the Russians retreat are true but the Americans are holding firm all the way, still ready to take on the German forces moving up, my American forces have been mauled but are in no way ready to admit defeatm that battle will go on:)

12. Mussolini

Latest word from the front:

Jagdtigers can be hit 10 times while not hitting an M10 once.

Tigers are very very slow.

88's are almost unstoppable.

Russians like to abandon their tanks after 1 hit.

Bigger Artillery doesn't matter if its not well placed.

Several dead tanks now in the CMBB game, while CMBO is pretty....odd.

13. Tomcat

Word for the front continued...

German panzerGrendiers like to retreat without much of a fight:D

Tigers being hit from TD's make a big boom.

Germans like bringing Mechanized infantry against heavy Russian tanks.

Russian tanks seem to get bogged an awful lot

Americans like to send in Armour without enough infantry support:D

14. Tomcat

The German tide of infantry and machines seem to have been temporarilly slowed down by the might of the American and Russian forces, both sides have high casuality losses in both materials and men but both will fight to the end. The glorious Russian armies have successfully 'tamed' to date, 3 feared Tiger tanks many halftracks and support vehicles, as well as countless infantry.

THe Soviet and Amerian pushes are certain to be ordered anytime now.

15. Luke

Luke Member

Wow, this game has some CRAZY graphics:rolleyes: lol. how do you get it? do you just get it off the net or do you have to buy a cd? looks fun. if i get it i might have to challenge someone :D. lol

16. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Great commentary. BTW, I got it to work on my Vista laptop. Finally. Woo hoo.

17. Joe

Joe Ace

You have to buy the CD.

Speaking of which, Mussolini you haven't responded in a while.

18. Mussolini

I'm still getting sorted/recovered from the weekend/last week.

19. Joe

Joe Ace

Then I await our next confrontation on the battlefield!

20. Tomcat

I bought CMBO of the net and donwloaded it, it cost I think $15 AU.

The battle between me and Mussolini has come to a stand still as well, how is your game going joe?

Did he hit you with infantry with some support units in the middle of your line, and then used his heavy tanks and mechanized infantry to attempt to go around your lines as well, opps I think I just gave away his game.:) oops hehe