Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Top 5 (Warsaw Uprising)

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by KJ Jr, Jul 11, 2018.

1. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Good Afternoon Rogues,

The second installment of "Top 5" will have a few different parameters. My last thread focused on your top 5 books regarding the Pacific Theater. However, the topic was just too broad and I pledged to narrow down those categories; especially regarding campaigns and operations where a more acute focus will be needed.

I happened to be watching The Pianist last week and was motivated to dedicate a Top 5 list to The Warsaw Uprising. Now this is any publication (non-fiction, fiction, digital, doc) that you personally believe is essential reading (or watching) focusing on the topic at hand.

Please include a brief description of why you placed it on the list. In addition, sometimes, especially if you are indeed and expert on the subject matter, you may list honorable mentions if there is an issue with narrowing it down,

Have at it!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

The Warsaw Uprising and the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising are two different things.
    Both are uninteresting from the military point of view.
    It's mostly politics and general history.

The Warsaw Uprising: a bunch of badly armed Poles fighting badly trained German auxiliaries when the Wehrmacht was fully preoccupied elsewhere.

the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: a few skirmishes between badly armed Jewish civilians, and badly trained German auxiliaries lasting a few days.

Even more, in this case, much of the narration has been shown to be exaggerated and falsified by some Poles and Jews (for fame, profit, and veteran benefits) so the older publications are not even worth reading.
    True story, there is a book about it: Heroes, Hucksters, and Storytellers: On the Jewish Military Union by Dariusz Libionka, Laurence Weinbaum.

Otto likes this.
  3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

WM. I figured you'd be the first to respond :). Thanks for the info. I entitled it Warsaw Uprising, not focusing on the Jewish resistance.

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Update: WM. Your absolutely right. I did entitle the thread Warsaw Uprising but then proceeded to write Warsaw Ghetto Uprising in the text. Thanks for bring it to my attention.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I recall enjoying Norman Davies's 'Rising '44'.
    First attracted by captured AFVs, stayed for a fairly epic tale, well told.
    Fair while since I read it, though.

Polish Panthers | For the Record