Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tour de France 2016 - Stage 1 from Mont St. Michel to Utah Beach

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by FalkeEins, Jul 1, 2016.

1. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

2. Dave55

Dave55 Member

DVR is all set. Hope to see some hedge rows

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

In spite of doping it remains my favorite sorting event to watch. I remaim torn between watching the racers and watching the wonderful scenes from France. This one sounds like it is off to a particularly good start visually.

As an aside, what is the history of Mont St Michel during the war. It was right in the middle of the retaking of Normandie. So many abbey's, monestaries, convents , cathedrals and churches were damaged or destroyed . It is one of the great architectural wonders of the world.

Gaines

OhneGewehr likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'll be at work , except during the weekend. the Mont Saint Michel was not a Strategic target , fortunately it was not bombed. The Germans knew that it was not defendable and it would cut them off from any retreat, except the sea, which meant suicide. :cool: . It was occpied by a Zoll Unit and a small group of SS soldiers who fled without fighting.

Last but not least Saint Michel is the Saint Patroon of all paratroopers, so there is no way the allies were going to bomb that symbol if not needed.

http://www.wikimanche.fr/Lib%C3%A9ration_du_Mont-Saint-Michel_(1944)

[​IMG]

Robert Capa
    http://enfantsdelhistoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Robert-Capa-devant-Mont-Saint-Michel-1944-Jack-Lieb.jpg

5. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Cycling is desperatly trying to regain credit, but today i listened to an interview with Jörg Jaksche, a former german Tour de France participant. He said that there were the still the same persons in charge and not much has changed since all the scandals around Armstrong, Doping and Fuentes.

I really can't imagine that there are many true young sportsmen who are wanting to become a pro cyclist.

6. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru

Dopig was around long before Armstrong, they just don't strip those winners of their titles. All those old times have admitted to having cocaine and meth in their waterbottles to keep them going. All of Armstrongs main rivals have all admitted to it too. So it was an even playing field, even if it was all doped up, so it was just a witch hunt to take Armstrong down long after the fact. Lots of cheaters in the pack right now....Shleck, Contador, Nibali (how has he not been banned? Between the doping, known teammates that dope, and hitching rides from cars...)...but I think this Tour will be an interesting one. I am not sure if Froome will repeat now that the teams have been shaken up a bit. The next few days will certainly paint a clearer picture as we hit the Mtns!

7. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Well-Known Member Patron  

The Tour has long been plagued by doping , to say it was a conspiracy to take Armstrong down seems like a different matter. To what advantage?, The Tour wants viewers , they especially want American viewers as it is already hugely popular in Europe so growth in ad revenue could come from the US. Individuals have personal vendettas, to have a committee invoke one and maintain silence seems illogical . Do the MD's and Phd's in the labs conspire with the various Tour committees and all the owners and bikers agree ?

All that aside I am thoroughly enjoying watching the event. I moved a TV in front of my drawing board so I can look up to watch and down to work and so far have not missed a self imposed deadline. France has never looked more beautiful, the finishes certainly tense, and watching the Belgium's pull a break a way and keep it very exciting. the increase of emphasis on the sprinters has added interest and balance.

Many Americans seem to dislike or misunderstand the French , "Freedom Fries", etc. but I feel fortunate to have visited there many times, mostly through work , but more recently to just visit. We have always been treated hospitably and warmly. One example, another couple, my wife and I rented a car in Paris and took back roads to visit Chartres Cathedral, about 75K. We stopped to picnic by a stone bridge next to a farmer's field. He was plowing and stopped at his house , then continued, and stopped next to us to give us some wine, cheese and bread , all local . Watching the tour brings back many great memories as well as offer keen racing. .

Gaines

FalkeEins and Otto like this.
  8. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Nice. What's not to like about France?

'Nuff said:

Attached Files:

9. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru

The guy who took down Armstrong was an American (if i recall correctly) and basically had a personal vendetta against the guy. Sure, LA was a bit of a meanie, but still...think of all the good that Armstrong did for promoting the sport, especially in the USA (the main reason I got into cycling for instance) and making it quite exciting. It certainly brought the sport to the limelight in the states, where most people used to ignore it. Bringing him down harms the sport more then it helps.

But yes - things start to get interesting this weekend during the Tour, as they hit the mountains and the big boys finally come out to play! Looking forward to see what the top of the field will look like come monday!

10. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Baloney. He was and is an absolute disgrace and harmed cycling more than he helped it. Cycling has been growing since the late sixties and Greg Lemond did more for it than that that cheating, lying, sanctimonious hypocrite. It is more popular today than ever.

11. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Not in Europe. There is absolutely ZERO mainstream marketing using cyclists.

Greg LeMond was doped too, for sure. Doping gives you an advantage of 10% or even more. That's why Jan Ullrich or Bjarne Riis honestly think that they weren't doing anything wrong - they did what everybody did and what had to be done.

There is no other way as banning cheaters, otherwise it is no sports anymore. It is a show then, but not sports.

12. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I don't know anything about marketing. All I know is that I now see hundreds of cyclists during a three or four hour ride in the mountains on the same routes where I might see a dozen in the early seventies. And there was no such thing as mountain biking fifty years ago and now it is huge.

It might be like soccer is in the States. A lot of people participate but I never see any product marketing associated with it.

As for LeMond and doping. Prove it.

13. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

Laurent Fignon said that or more precise, he said, that everyone has doped in his active years. And that was shortly before his death, when he has no reason to lie anymore. I don't regard LeMond or Fignon as cheaters, they did what everyone did.

Jan Ullrich was a national hero, immensly popular and a lot of germans did travel to the Tour de France.

14. Dave55

Dave55 Member

So, no proof.

15. OhneGewehr

OhneGewehr New Member

You mean these lab tests, which proofed sometimes innocent athlets as cheaters and very often showed cheaters as innocent?
    Lance Armstrong never was a convicted cheater by lab tests.

Witness, inevitable logic and motive is enough to convict murderers.
    Laurent Fignon was an insider.
    Everyone doped with the exception of LeMond, who was the fastest? He is a superhuman then?
    Motivation is evident.

16. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Well, that sure is proof. You've convinced me, bless your heart.

17. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru

I think if you were to look at bicycle sales, especially Trek bikes, during the Armstrong years, you would see an explosion as people got behind him and and his back-to-back-to-back, etc, wins...made people interested in cycling etc. It was pretty exciting stuff back then and certainly introduced a whole new generation to Cycling. The USPS 'Blue Train' became a hosuehold name, sort of thing, plus all the media attention. Much more widespread and reaching than in LeMonds day.

18. Owen

Owen O

Attached Files:

OhneGewehr likes this.