Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

tracing the fate of a flier

Discussion in 'Air War in the Mediterrean' started by bradh, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bradh

bradh recruit

I have a passionate hobby of recording and saving the stories of veterans so that these stories are permanently recorded and thus never to be lost of forgotten. I interviewed a veteran who was part of the Invasion of Sicily who I would like to help. He told the story of being at a camp that must have had some sort of arms storage or depot. He said an American flier crashed landed into a pile of shells. He ran up to try and help him and he says all he can remember was seeing his dog tag that read Lt. Goldberg, Buffalo,NY. Everyone started to yell at him to get away as it could blow at minute. He got off and then he passed out. He said he never knew the fate of this flier and that it has haunted him ever since. Any ideas as to where I could start to find out information about this?
    Thanks,
    Brad
    Rememberandhonor.com

2. bradh

bradh recruit

With the help of the David Valenzuela of the Buffalo News, I found out his fate. He was August Goldenberg, not Goldberg. He died in that crash. Hopefully Loren has now found some peace after 65 years.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Glad you found your info, thats not a bad hobby to have. Its amazing the headaches you can get when you start something like that but the end result pays dividends.
    I try the same when I can, not for any egotistical reasons but mainly for the fact that it also helps me fit in many other aspects of battles I would normally pass by. I was lucky enough last year to research a local death and when I gave the information I had to the nephew of the dead vet it was a good feeling. We even went on to present the info in a form to an insurance coy that the serviceman had worked at before the war and this led I believe to a local in house magazine notice on his anniversary and a subsequent donation to the British Legion on that date in rememberance. Lest we forget.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Sorry to hear the flier didn't make it :poppy: and I hope that Loren will now be able to get some better sleep. Thank you for posting this moving story