Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tracing the WWII battle route of the 146th Engineer Combat Batallion

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by garyrnorth, Mar 8, 2019.

1. garyrnorth

garyrnorth New Member

Good Morning,
    I am a Vietnam era Vet, army MP patrol supervisor.
    My uncle was part of the WWII 146th Engineer Combat Batallion. and I am trying to trace his movements through the war.
    He would never talk about it.
    I know he landed at Normandy on D-Day where he received the Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.
    There is lots of talk online about the 146th being involved in the Battle of the Bulge...The Ardannes ??
    But that is about as far as I can find anything.
    From the war movies it appears the Engineers were very much in the heat of everything! ??
    He received another Purple heart in 1945 I believe but that is as much as I can find.
    Surely someone has mapped different divisions movements through the war.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.
    and a big thank you to all who served!!!

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The 146th Engineer Combat Battalion was attached to the 1171st Engineer Combat Group, V Corps in England prior to D-Day. They were tapped, along with the 299th Engineer Combat Battalion to provide personnel for the Special Engineer Task Force, formed in March-April 1944 to deal with the shoreline obstacle belt created by the German in early 1944. On OMAHA they formed joint Army-Navy demolition teams with nineteen Naval Combat Demolition Units. Those teams suffered probably the heaviest casualties of any units on D-Day. There are a large number of online resources for the 146th:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...th%20ECB.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3wH5exgvA78Ax-bOXV9KNI

146th Engineer Combat Battalion.

Print resources include the "Green Book" The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Germany - The Corps of Engineers - The War Against Germany - U.S. Army Center of Military History

Sid Berger's Breaching Fortress Europe: The Story of U.S. Engineers in Normandy on D-Day

Steve Zaloga's The Devil's Garden

My own book in my signature.

Slipdigit likes this.
  3. JohnA.

JohnA. recruit

Hi, Mr. North. I've been doing research on the 146th on OMAHA since about 2004. I'm delighted to share what I've learned but sadly I don't have time right this second to relate everything I've gathered. Anyone is welcome to send a message to john_antkowiak@yahoo.com and we can compare notes : ) I can absolutely trace the unit through Europe with you as well as where it was before it left the States. I'd love to know your uncle's name; maybe I know something about him personally (but no promises; there are a lot of men whose names I'm still hearing for the first time).