Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

tribute to the american combat glider pilots of ww2

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by sniper1946, Jan 6, 2010.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

great site,details of operations such as normandy,market garden,stories,gliders pics,etc etc...very good and informative...:)

WWII Glider Pilots Home Page

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

good link sniper..on the subject of its all about urqh..i did a jspc parachute course at the birthplace if you like of british glider pilots at netheravon..did tour of brownings quarters etc..a place of living history when you translate the places from books into real life..back to real life though not urqh life..hope this doesnt start a post war but does the site cover the problems brought up by paras etc on forcing pilots to continue to drop/landing zones daks and gliders on release at gun point on occasion.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

good point urqh,perhaps someone here can expand on this please...

4. 36thID

36thID Member

Attend church with a member of the 82nd AB, 325 Gliders. He's 85 and I still think he could kick some kiester to this day. Love when he tells me his stories. A true mans man !!

5. urqh

is that 352nd a designation to gliderborne or glider pilots steve? i know of the 352 but did the us pilots get placed in unit they carried unlike brits being a seperate ground fighting force?

6. urqh

sorry 325..i read it in head as 352nd

7. 36thID

36thID Member

I know he mentions a lot about the Gliders not getting the respects of the paratroopers at first. No wings or jump boots, that finaly changed. He was a guard with Gen Gavin after making Sargent . He joined the famous 82nd in England, after the Italian battles at Salerno.

The time he was really sure he was going to die was at The Sigfried Line, something about an 88 being leveled at them. Recieved a Silver Star for the capture of 13 infantry soldiers and an officer..... By himself !! His squad was pined down. After covering fire and mortor fire, he blew the door down in the back of the bunker, the Germans came out with hands up. The prisoners saw he was by himself. The officer ordered the others to get back in the bunker, get guns and shoot Mr McClure. Well... Mr McClure rifle butted the officer square in the jaw, pulled a hand grenade and shouted "Alles Zuzamen" !!! (all together) meaning he would blow up everone !!! He was well relieved when his buddies came running up to his position !!!

One person that has my full respect. Too many men like him have left this earth..

Best Regards

urqh and sniper1946 like this.
  8. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

"One person that has my full respect. Too many men like him have left this earth"..

couldn't agree more steve.....

9. urqh

10. 36thID

36thID Member

Thanks gentleman !!!

He is a like I say, a mans man.

His grandson is my turkey hunting buddy. Nic, the grandson, is a senior in college, but as a Freshman in high school he won a trip to Washington DC for an essay he wrote about the hero in their life. He wrote about his grandpa in WW 2.

11. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Interesting site Ray. Steve, it's little snippets like what you related that keeps me coming back for more. Think he'd sit and talk to you, maybe with a tape-recorder that you could post more?