Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tribute uniform for my father

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by chibobber, Dec 11, 2010.

1. chibobber

chibobber Member

Hello to all,
    I come for advise and direction on putting together an Ike jacket in memory of my father.
    I have very little original stuff.Should I go period patches and ribbons or are new ok or is a mix ok.(original ribbon bar w/GC,European campaign w/5 stars,Occupation ,Belgiun Forgierre)
    Collar tabs,arrowhead, EIB,3rd Army and 1st Division patches,ruptured duck patch,service and overseas bars would all need to be replaced along with the jacket.
    I only have one DUI for the 6850 ISD.he wore it on his overseas hat.I know this is a rare DUI,should I break the bank and find replacements for his lapels.
    Can you mix DUIs? He was with the 26th IR at Nuremburg.Could I display this on the lapels and display the 6850 ISD on his hat? Would you add the ww2 victory ribbon?
    No, it will never be sold. it will stay in the family.Thank you in advance.Bob

2. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

I am doing the same thing for my grandfather. The link is below. I decided to go all original period pieces but until I can find them I have used modern replacements. It's really a matter of preference. As far as I am concerned either way you go is still an admirable tribute to your father. I would include the WWII victory medal. He definitely earned it. I'll try to answer some of your other questions when I have a little more time.

http://www.ww2f.com/uniforms-personal-gear-kit-accessories/47920-us-army-coat-display-project.html

3. chibobber

chibobber Member

Thanks, 69 dodgechrgr,
    I had one of those once,plain jane w/383 auto.:)

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Chibobber You mention the 6850 ISD. What is it? The only unit I find numbered 6850 was a PoW detachment. Was it prewar?

5. Slipdigit

Been thinking about this. I don't think he would have worn a DUI after the war. I don't think they were authorized for wear if the unit was part of a higher organization, which the 26th IR was, it being a constituent part of the 1st ID. He would have worn a shoulder patch.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Jeff, a quick search tells me that this was the 6850th Internal Security Detachment. Here is the crest
    [​IMG]
    6850th Internal Security Detachment DI's (Nuremberg) - U.S. Militaria Forum

I also came across this Wiki article
    On 20 May 1945 he was assigned as Commandant, Prisoner of War Enclosure #32 in Mondorf-les-Bains, Luxembourg. Mondorf-les-Bains was codenamed “Ashcan” by the United States Army and was an interrogation center for German Nazi war criminals. On 12 August 1945 the prisoners were moved to a new prison in Nuremberg, Germany. The Nuremberg prison was adjacent to the courts where the Nuremberg Trials were held. The security detachment at the prison, with COL Andrus as commandant, was established as the 6850th Internal Security Detachment (ISD), under the International Military Tribunal, United States Forces, European Theater (USFET).
    Burton C. Andrus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

7. chibobber

chibobber Member

JW,I think I will display it as he wore it.He had the DUI on his overseas cap and non on his lapels.
    The jacket will be displayed with the items from the unit he was discharged with. It does not reflect who he fought with.At times it appears he was with 3rd Army,7th Army,then back to 3rd Army and researching photos he may have crossed over into 1st Army territory.He was with the 72nd Publicity Service Battalion moving correspondents to the front a back.This was a pretty loose organization and were assigned to various armies at any given time.I quess they went where the action was.They were not part of combat operations but fought when needed.

8. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

What is an EIB? I'm familiar with the CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) but not the EIB. By the way my '69 Charger is a plain jane 383 auto too. Blue with a white top & interior. My father had a '68.

9. Slipdigit

10. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

Thanks for the info. I learn more and more about this everyday.

11. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I come for advise and direction on putting together an Ike jacket in memory of my father.
    I have very little original stuff.Should I go period patches and ribbons or are new ok or is a mix ok.(original ribbon bar w/GC,European campaign w/5 stars,Occupation ,Belgiun Forgierre)
    Collar tabs,arrowhead, EIB,3rd Army and 1st Division patches,ruptured duck patch,service and overseas bars would all need to be replaced along with the jacket.
    I only have one DUI for the 6850 ISD.he wore it on his overseas hat.I know this is a rare DUI,should I break the bank and find replacements for his lapels.
    Can you mix DUIs? He was with the 26th IR at Nuremburg.Could I display this on the lapels and display the 6850 ISD on his hat? Would you add the ww2 victory ribbon?]

Bob, Trying to get a handle on your fathers service. The 26th IR was with the 1st ID through the war. Since he has an EIB instead of a CIB I'm guessing he was with the M.Ps or HQ Company or something--not in a rifle company. He must have been with the 1st ID most of the war to have participated in five campaigns including one (or more) invasion(s) (only one arrowhead is authorized regardless how many he participated in). The 1st ID was transferred from the 1st Army to the 3rd Army in May of 1945 and it looks like your father was transferred to the 6850 ISD when it was originated on Nov. 20, 1945 for overall security and order for the Nurenberg Trials. I don't know if the 6850th was attached to the 26th or if it was an individual unit. On the uniform I found a picture of on the following link, it looks like they had their own shoulder patch.
    Your one DUI, if original, is VERY pricey--saw a website where one went for $600. They did make repos in 1968 and could possibly be picked up for much less.
    But you'll see the uniform has them on the lapels and one on the hat--don't mix them--it wouldn't make sense.
    The bronze arrowhead should go on the EAME Campaign medal.
    IF the 6850 ISB had their own patch as shown, your fathers uniform would have the 1st Infantry Division patch on the right shoulder designating "previous overseas wartime assignment". The 6850 ISB also wore a "brassard", a cloth armband with the capital letters "ISD" for identification and they carried a paper ID card.

You can pick up period patches for a reasonable price on Ebay or other auctions. The DUI might be hard to find-even the repo, but they should be out there. Your father served in a very rare unit and the uniform would be a terrific project. Perhaps take 69Dodgecharger's advice and use whatever (but correct) replacements you can until you can find the originals and have them replaced. Dave

6850th Internal Security Detachment DI's (Nuremberg) - U.S. Militaria Forum

12. chibobber

chibobber Member

Dave,Thanks for the reply.I wish to tell you it has been an interesting journey tracking down my fathers tire tracks across Europe.Below is what I have so far;
    Part of 100 man unit formed in Dec'43.72nd Publicity Service Battallion.
    Landed with 3rd Army, Jul 7th '44 Utah Beach 15 man team to set up communications for corresponents to transmit news back to London.
    Truck (cckw and jeep)driver.Get correspondents to front and back to file stories,provide security for them.
    After breakout and move across France,transfered to 7th Army til VE day(Campaign credit;Normandy,No.France,Ardennes,Rhineland,Central Europe.)A new twist,I have a photo of him sitting on a jeep with 1st Army markings with a note on the back"waiting to go to the front 2 miles away".This may have been a mingling of units in 6th Corp.
    Transfered to 3rd Army,1st Division,26th Infantry Regiment.The 26th was given the honor of being the Nuremburg Trial guards.
    Now another twist. My father worked with RCA to to set up the translating gear for the court room.He knew communication and electrical equiptment from his CCC days prior to the war. He was not a guard but was assigned to Faber Castle where the Lawyers and War Correspondents where housed.Since he knew so many of them,he was assigned as their liason and provided for their needs. The card you mentioned came in handy when he was brought in on a curfew violation while in Nancy,France(dating my mother).The officer of the day looked at the card,dismissed my father and my dad said he could hear the MP getting an ass chewing as he was leaving.
    So back to the uniform,growing up I remember the the 3rd Army and 1st division patches and fourgierre on his Ike jacket.Yes the DUI is real and not a restrike.As I stated I think the DUI on the cap will be enough to tell the story.I think I will try to find all original items as I go along.I might even find a green Lucky Strike pack of smokes he had in the pocket.
    Thanks again,and I will learn how to post photos for all to see when it is done.Bob