Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trouble gettng on the forum

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by T. A. Gardner, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Are you using Internet Explorer 8? Could I suggest you try Firefox as a browser? I had begun to have problems getting on and viewing posts after installing IE8 that seems to have been resolved by using Firefox.

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I'm in Saskatchewan, use Internet Explorer 8 and no problem getting on any time of the day. I would think I would have some difficulty compared to others being as I overlap multiple time zones. I am,however using Extreme High Speed Internet now and have had few problems since my own provider fixed (I think!) the glitches which affected me August through Sept and kept me off the Forum and Internet! My 2 cents and hope they assist in resolving the conundrum for others.

3. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I've been working on my NaNoWriMo project most of the weekend, putting in serious writing time (15,000 words yesterday!) and tried to jump on every now and then when I took a break. 9 times out of 10 no connection. Even with Firefox which I'm starting to doubt as the highly touted web browser it was said to be, it's been pretty worthless. Luckily I've had nothing of any merit to offer. I have the highest speed internet available by Charter...it doesn't make any difference how fast your connection is. That just means you get the error message faster.

4. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

If its any help, I have never had problems getting on the forum through Safari or Firefox on my computer......if anyone wanted to know ;)

5. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Well I have used around 10 computers to access this site and all have problems whether it is slow loading times, failed connections or 'hangs' but then I come to my computer it it works perfectly.

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Dont wish to interfere as im not a regular user anymore. But it is a major problem. Back at server update .I gave up for hours ..days...weeks.. Using numerous pcs...different locations...macs..different locations and with every browser known to man. I have no problems accessing either site now on blackberry or any Mobile data handset of which I have many....which uses numerous propriartry brosers including opera. I can benchmark test at times and will connect via G3 but then fail on pc..done this test ...clearing cache ..history..cookies..pcs fail constantly and mobuile devices are 100 percent successful all in 15 minute test periods.. this points to...well slip and Otto ...I hate to teach sucking eggs. Thats not meant to sound bad...server provider techs you use are lazy.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Well, I use Firefox and absolutely couldn't get on to this Forum at all yesterday - whether via bookmarks, or through Google - no response at all and gave up in the end. This morning - straight here first try.....:confused:

8. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate Ace

I use Firefox, but have tried numerous other browsers including IE and Opera. I have also tried most of the other "fixes" suggested; nothing seems to change the basic fact that I can't access this forum except early in the morning. I used to be able to get on after about 8:00 PM, but even that seems to have degraded to a no-access situation.

I am able to use the Ninja (anonymous browsing) website to read the forum, but as soon as I want to view a picture or post something, I have to sign in with my regular identity, and that causes Ninja to lose contact with the forum. That makes me wonder why, once I identify myself properly, I am immediately denied access once again.

I have contacted my ISP (Charter), but their technical people deny any responsibility and simply say it must be a host provider problem. I have had lots of spare time recently, but won't always enjoy that condition. Being able to get on only very early in the morning is frustrating and will probably result in the future in much less participation as far as I am concerned. I know that will cheer some members of the forum, but I will definitely miss the debates.

9. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Haven't had any problems the last few monts (using IE8 on vista) but I do have an entry for ww2f.com in my hosts file. Put it in there after the new server came up and tried to remove it a couple of times but the troubles started again.
    Bit of a geek solution but ... c'est la guerre.
    PS geekspeak: DNS propagation times are notoriously slow but it's the fist time I've seen something like this, tried to nslookup the forum's address a few seconds ago and only succeeded after a few tries using different servers :-(

10. Slipdigit

Yes, I added and entry in my hosts file a while back.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

this worked for me yesterday: I disconnected my internet connection, switched it on again and it worked immediately. As long as it took the same path it would not work

12. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

I think we are missing the root of the problem with all of these solutions. First off, I don't know anything about host files and looks ups and any of that. Second, I don't think unhooking your internet connection and hooking it back up is a viable solution either because that is a pain in the back end. Bottom line for me is, this site pays someone somewhere to use its bandwidth right? It does not work consistently. If it were at my home and I was having this trouble, I'd be talking to someone to figure out why. You can't let these companies bully you. In this day and age, the customer still demands and deserves respect and at least basic satisfaction of services.

Devilsadvocate likes this.
  13. 107thcav

107thcav Member

I have not had a problem this week at all. Been able to get on morning, noon and night. Thanks Otto and Slipdigit! Whatever you guys did it did the trick. If nothing well, the internet God's let me through.

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

They must have accepted your sacrifice (no beer during a whole week?)

15. 107thcav

107thcav Member

Thank God I have wine as a back up.

16. Hans Ludwig

Hans Ludwig Dishonorably Discharged

I'm pretty sure it has to do with WW2f's bandwidth package since I keep getting this dreaded error. I have a server I have co-located in a Dallas data center, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about these things. Is there any chance you guys can fix the problem? It gets rather annoying to have to open up a new tab and enter in the url to this forum and hope it loads.

[​IMG]

17. Clark

Clark Member

18. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Double threads merged.

von Poop likes this.
  19. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I think it's BACK !!! I could not access the site tonight (6:30 pm central time) until I switched to Internet Explorer.

20. Slipdigit

I have trouble with IE8 for some reason.