Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trying sort out pictures

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by colin288, Mar 3, 2021.

1. colin288

colin288 New Member

Australian Army: WW2

I'm trying to sort out some pictures of my father and family members.

He joined the Australian army in 1940, as far as I can tell the 1st Battalion. He was in the band. According to a sign on the wall in one picture it was Barracks #24 1st Batt. IBN BAND H.Q. WING. Not sure what all that means accept that he was in the Band. Then his brother joined. Records show he joined rank GND (not sure what that means, ). The Regiment was 9th Australian Field Regiment.
    My questions are ??
    Why is my dads uniform a different colour than his brothers. One is dark and the other light? Also The woman in the middle is I think his mother. She appears to be in uniform. But I'm unaware of her serving. Can you tell what the uniform is. I mean it could even be a police woman although I doubt it.
    I have tried to provide several pictures to help reference things. I have found some of my Dads and his brothers records. But I find nothing on his mother, if that is who it is. Maybe she was volunteer and they didnt have records for them ??

Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    GRW, CAC and Half Track like this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

CAC likes this.
  3. Takao

Takao Ace

Looks like a RAASC uniform, but cannot place the badges .

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hmmm...the black looks like AASC/RAASC (Australian Army Service Corp) early 40s...
    The Khaki uniform...dunno...The peaked cap would suggest an officer, if so there should be a least one pip on the shoulder (2nd Lieutenant). For sure the uniform is not a good fit. The belt is not cinched...An RSM would have a field day with him.
    Again the female looks smart...but can't place the hat?
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if this was more British than Australian...
    NOTE: I am FAR from an expert on uniforms...just my 20 cents...

5. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

The dark uniform is blue and is a Walking Out Dress uniform; note what appears to be a stripe, probably red, on the outside of the trousers and probably a red band on the cap. The other, lighter colored uniform, probably one of those ubiquitous "drab" colors is a service dress uniform.

7 minutes later . . . Ah! I found one! See
    Image Group: AASC/RAASC Uniforms Commonwealth 1940-73

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]

16. General Duty Dress, Sergeant, 5th Division Australian Army Service Corps, 1935

Blue uniform and corps embellishments were reintroduced in 1930 after the postwar obsession with things AIF had subsided. A Militia NCO is shown wearing a jacket different from the Permanent full dress tunic in the absence of piping on the jacket and its collar; but the blue stripe on the cap band continued on from 1911. The colour patch is the 5th Division AASC which flowed on from the AIF; the lower sleeve chevrons are good conduct stripes.
    [​IMG]

7. colin288

colin288 New Member

Trying to sort out the information you ‘all have kindly provided. I know nothing about military so some things are mystery to me. Also perhaps reading some of the information is a little mixed up as we are speaking about 3 different people. As far as the men, when would you wear a Walking out dress and Service Dress? What are the different occasions?

Do the hats on the men the men were possibly officers?

You noted the Chevrons as conduct stripes for the dark men’s uniform. Do you think that is true for the whole sleeve? The single on the top and the lower ones? I know nothing?

What does good conduct mean, I mean I know what good conduct means, but did you have to do to be of good conduct, not get drunk??

As far as the woman is concerned, You’re saying Army, but the hat is a bit of a mystery. I'm trying to do research on the hat.

As far as the fit? Yes, even me a non-military type said to self, "Dad, straighten things up a bit." But I sense that during the time it was about getting ready for war, perhaps running out of uniforms, my dad a skinny 5.10 , 24 year old. Not to mention that it was shot in the back garden I suppose he could be excused. Mostly he seemed to have fun from what he tells. Even when he then joined the RAAF and became a Warrant officer and went to Europe, most pictures show him having fun with his boys and gals. Strangely when I asked him why he later went to the Air Force, he said, “They seems sharper and they were snappier dressers" Odd. I guess that’s one reason to sign up.

Regards

CAC likes this.
  8. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I think the 9th Australian Field Reg. was an artillery unit. That would fit with the lanyard on the right shoulder - could be Dress uniform.
    9th Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery
    The man in the dark uniform is a Lance Corporal (large chevron at upper arm), and they're both wearing Service Dress hats, so not officers. The hat band seems in one piece, not two bands as in the ASC example. Dress uniforms for official ceremonies, Service Dress for every day.
    Lower chevrons are Good Conduct, think one for each years' service without being on report?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. colin288

colin288 New Member

yes I think you are right based on my research. 9th Australian Field Reg. was an artillery unit. The stories I heard was that he was actually in charge of supplies and thus could order little treats for himself. I think he was in New Guinea. Which makes sense.

10. GRW

11. colin288

colin288 New Member

Thank you very much again for your educated responses and answers to my questions. Auxiliary Territorial Service seems logical. The pictures are not the best, they are my scans of the negs. i may get them processed which will make them better. However the woman's hat I cannot find in any internet pictures for ATS. I dont know what you would call it but it doesnt seem to have any "mud pie-ness to it, my words. In other words there is the sunshade front, then on top of the head maybe a 2inch band and a flat top. I suppose identifying hats is a whole thing in its self.
    Here is the closest I could find in hat style. But could not find it in Australia,

Attached Files:

• hat.JPG
      hat.JPG
      File size:
      11.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Takao

Takao Ace

True, but the color plate says 1954, and the caption reads that the blue uniform was reintroduced in 1951. No mention is made when they were withdrawn from use during the war, but probably early on. Also, the plates on the previous page show white stripes, not red.

13. GRW

Found this replica of an ATS hat. Think I read somewhere that ATS/WAAF/WREN hat profiles were a law unto themselves though-
    ATS Service dress cap

14. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Nice find Gordon...