Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trying to find information on my Father, PFc Gerald K. Tremmel

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Gerald K. Tremmel Jr., Sep 12, 2017.

1. Gerald K. Tremmel Jr.

Gerald K. Tremmel Jr. New Member

he was a member of 180th Inf Regiment from Jun 1943 - Sep 1945. His service number was 33 257 331. in the book 'The story of the 180th Inf Regiment, a paragraph mentions that on 21 Oct 1944 he saved an ammo dump from a fire started by a German Mortar round. He received burns on his arms and face while extinguishing the fire, and was awarded Bronze Star. His discharge document does not show that he was awarded the Purple Heart for his injuries.

Also when I had asked him about how he earned the Bronze Star, he described another incident involving a machine gun position where the machine gunner was injured and my dad pulled the injured gunner to safety and then manned the machine gun. I am wondering is he was recommended for two Bronze Stars. There is nothing in the oficialdiscarge papers to indicate this.
    Would love to get any information concerning his service..

Owen likes this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You may want to submit a replacement medal request through the NARA. As his son, you clearly qualify as Next-of-Kin.