Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Type XXI U-Boat

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by PzJgr, Nov 28, 2001.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Does anybody have any information on the type XXI U-Boat Germany built but launched the same week as the surrender. I believe two were built and launched. What ever happened to them? Thanks.

2. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

Try www.uboat.net

I think a lot more than two such submarines were built an launched! :)

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

ship icon !

Yes, check the u-boat site and then my links that I made on the bottom on Atlantic Naval conflict.-Walter boots. When you go back to u-boat site check the books section out as well as the Elktro boats section is the best one available on the site. In fact our Dear Carl Evans I believe visited the only existing XXI, now as a museum a few years ago. Of course we would like him to chime in for his experience inside this notable craft.

Erich

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

AH HA!! I THOUGHT it sounded like someone was talking about the Wilhelm Bauer--ex-U 2540, which is in the outdoor ships museum in Bremerhaven, Deutschland.

As a matter of fact, I have a photo or two in the name of postcard, that are photos of the Wilhelm Bauer in its current position in Bremerhaven. I will try to remember to include one for Otto to post, when I do remember to send him the RKT photo copies for the creation for a section on them.

P.S. I think Erich Topps last Uboat was a type XXI, if memory serves me correctly.

Factoid: Did you know that Erich Topp lost his first Uboat due to an accident? It was when he was a Leutnant and the Uboat was his first command.

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

[ 29 November 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Good show Erich, but I couldnt get it to show more than a thumbnail photo of the rooms.

When you tour it, you walk down a long gangplank to the rear of the Uboat, and work your way forward and climb out a smaller hatchway.

Personally, I thought the type VII-C seemed to have a bit more space to move around in than the Wilhelm Bauer did.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yea, it did some strange things first before it downloaded, and then it did seem a bit dark....probably depending on computer format possibly. This boat seems a bit tall and narrow to me, but never seeing a u-boot up close and pesonal I have nothing to judge on...

oh well
    :rolleyes: E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well, I saw the U 10 in Wilhelmshaven, the U 995 in Laboe and U 2540 in Bremerhaven.
    U 10 is a smaller Uboat used by the post war German Navy. Its last CO is none other than Juergen Weber who is in charge of the Munich Submariners Society.

To me it seemd as if U 995 had more room to move around in than U 2540 even though U 2540 if I remember--was actually a bigger boat. U 2540 to me too seemed long and narrow. ;)

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Well it's a good thing I don;t have your phone number as I have had a work accident and damaged my vocal chords. My wife has been kidding me telling everyone that it is nice and quiet around our haus. Enough of my griping......boo hoo [​IMG]
    Say when you were over in Deutschland did you by chance explore any of the midget subs like the Seehund ?

Erich

10. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

I don't know if any Seehunde are actually "enterable" by the public. The ones I've seen looked a bit small to be stuck in anyway. [​IMG]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I am going to have to look at that link again that I posted that mentions the existing U-boots in museums and see........thought that there was at least one that had partial cut-a-ways where a couple of people could enter and mount on the periscope... ?

E

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I do see a reference to München having a Seehund partially open to the public for inspection. Two other sites that have Seehunds at present are in Speyer and 1 in Dresden.

E

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry about the throat, get a glass of wasser, a lemon and squeeze the limon in the water and heat it up, then drink it--supposed to do the trick, but I havent tried it myself yet--I keep forgetting :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I had not seen any seehunds whilst there, I think Susanne was only interested in viewing the full size uboats. There is a place somewhere that has the actual modles of the Uboat on display that was used at THE Uboat in Das Boot, I just dont know where it is. I had seen a website for it several months ago, but never marked it down :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

:cool: sunny today, hmmmmmm, strange, it wasn't suppose to be.

Have you heard of this book.....anyone ? !

U-boats versus Aircraft by Norman Franks and Erich Zimmermann / 1998 Grub Street, London

U-boot flak against Allied bombers.......

240 u-boots sunk by aircraft, this book is suppose to cover at length some u-boot encounters with a wide variety of Allied a/c. lists of claims and downings on both sides. One chap as gunner on U-boot 763 downed 2+ bombers and damaged 2 others during February 4 and 5, 1944 and the boat escaped being scuttled later in 1945.

Maybe someone else can come up with some more info. sounds like a pretty intersting book as I am not aware of any coverage during this aspect of the naval war.

E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I havent heard of that book but definately sounds interesting. There is such a lack of info in English about Uboats versus Aircraft. The only good info I have is in the the verlag book volume 4 on uboat losses--which of course is in German.

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

What is the title of the book you are mentioning.......?

:D

E

17. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

And also which Verlag is it? Verlag just means "publisher" [​IMG]

There appears to be even a confirmed kill by a uboat main 88mm gun (not intended for AA). A VIIC boat shot down an Il-2 in the Baltic, IIRC.

18. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I imagine the Il-2 was coming in at surface level as the 8.8cm was able to hit it.......plus there probably was not much left of the Russian a/c I suppose.

E

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sorry about that. The book is #4 of a 5 volume series of books published about the Kriegsmarine.

I cant remember the correct title of the series except its on the Uboat war "1939-1945" I will see if I can find my copy sometime over the weekend and will let you know the correct title. You can only get #4 by buying all 5 books--or so I was told by a friend of mine in Switzerland who gave me the book.

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Could also please find the author and the ISBN number bitte...... !

On a further note getting back to the original question about the XXI, 2 books along this subject.

By Eberhard Rössler and Fritz Kohl Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp XXI
    ISBN 3-87943-605 and

Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp XXIII
    ISBN 3-7637-6007-5

E