Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

U.S. infantryman of direct German descent

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by willowtreewriter, Apr 11, 2014.

1. willowtreewriter

willowtreewriter New Member

Hi, all!

I wasn't sure in which forum to begin this thread, so, I figured, as my character ends up KIA in the North Africa Campaign, I'd start here (maybe a forum moderator will move it to a more appropriate heading).

The situation with my character, Erich, is that he is first-generation American (both of his parents, born and raised in Germany, immigrated to America in 1920 because of the famine -- Wolfgang and Maria became naturalized American citizens, and all four of their children were born in America). Erich enthusiastically enlisted in the Army (as enthusiastically as his older brother, Peter, enlisted in the Navy), and, soon, found himself fighting in North Africa, where, tragically, he was killed in action (a double blow to his family, who had a year earlier lost Peter to the Japanese sneak attack of Darwin Harbor, Northern Territory, Australia, on 19 Feb, 1942).

My reason for my thread herein is for the thoughts and feedback of you forum members about the scenario (which I know occurred time and again in reality during World War Two) of an American infantryman of direct German descent being asked to shoot at and kill soldiers who, for all he knows, are blood relatives. How did the various military branches handle this type of situation? It seems to me a bit much to ask of a person. Also, would his loyalties be questioned? MInd you, I can also imagine an infantryman who can read all the street signs and talk to POWs in German and so forth would be a real asset. I also wonder, though, about Erich and what such a circumstance would do to his psyche, what his thoughts and feelings would be.

I welcome and encourage any and all feedback, thoughts, and suggestions by all. Thanks in advance.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I don't think they "handled it" at all. German and Italian-American soldiers served everywhere - just look at the names on the rosters. The character being first generation probably wouldn't even come up except in conversations with friends.

3. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I am inclined to agree with KB. The foundation of the U.S. is based on various cultures and a soldier's German ancestry would not be a major factor. Especially not a concern during a wartime scenario where fear dominated the landscape. On the other hand, I remember Guy Sajer remarking in his memoir (regardless of critics views on the memoir) that he did lament on the fact that he was half German and half Alsatian, but he was clearly sold on the Nazi Ideology and the Wehrmacht was where he belonged; not the French Army. I guess it all depends on the location and cultural focus of that specific family where you feel your loyalty lies.

4. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

Were 1st-generation Americans from Germany recruited as spies, interpreters, etc.?

Also, why didn't we trust the Japanese-Americans like we did the German-Americans?

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Speaking on the second question. Both were scrutinized but none more than Japanese Americans. There is a thread based on this that was opened a couple weeks ago that can go into more detail. I don't have the strength at this time :)

6. McCabe

McCabe Active Member

I hear ya. TGIF. Thanks for the heads-up on the thread.

7. willowtreewriter

willowtreewriter New Member

I really appreciate the feedback, everyone. You've given me a great deal to think about and consider. I hope more forum members post.

I think the real difference in our perspective toward Japanese-Americans as opposed to German-Americans was that the Japanese had perpetrated a sneak attack on us, whereby the Germans were upfront and bold in their activities. We don't mind a fair fight, but we consider sneak attackers underhanded cowards and bullies. Unfortunately, we allowed our anger toward the Japanese military planners to translate to enmity and mistrust of fellow Americans.

I look forward to your continued thoughts.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

German-Americans and Italian-Americans were also interned, but Japanese-Americans looked different, so their motives were more questioned. Many different types of Americans served everywhere.

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

My siblings are not 1st generation German, but full blooded 2nd generation and three of my oldest brothers fought in front line combat in the European Theater against the Germans. My work with genealogy show there were 2nd cousins about the same age living in Germany during the war. In our family the subject never came up, but I always wondered what units
    the cousins fought in and if they perhaps fought against my brother's units.

There is a little clip about a German soldier from Eugene Oregon in "Band of Brothers"--I'm sure some of that really
    happened. Oh, good luck on your writings, I really admire anyone who has that gift.

10. Triple C

Triple C Ace

I think central/southern European immigrant loyalty was less contentious in WWII than WWI. During the Great War there was a lot of xenophobia directed against German Americans, but the Military Intelligence Division, after running a program of embedding informants within combat units, concluded that the immigrant soldiers' loyalty was stellar. I believe that the second time around Military Intelligence was not going to waste time doing what they know to be redundant work.

I believe that the lack of suspicion of German Americans after 1920s was due in part to the disappearance of German ethnic life during the same period. Under the harsh conditions of WWI most German immigrant newspapers, fraternities and language learning groups closed shop. Your average German immigrant after that period was socially indistinguishable from Anglo Americans. Dunno about Italians but I don't think the picture was too different. Not so with the Japanese.