Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Uboat actual casulties

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by papalou5x, Aug 11, 2010.

1. papalou5x

papalou5x Member

The well known 30,000 casualties out of 40,000 has me confused. Some references state 30,000 lost (never returned), presumably dead. A recent reference states that the number includes wounded, POW's, deserters, etc. What is the real story here?

2. RAM

RAM Member

I assume you are referring to German U-boat casualties.
    According to Clay Blair's book 'Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunted 1942-1945', page 709, there were 32 085 KIAs in 713 U-boats and 3356 captured sailors.
    Apart from those capured by the Allies, a few were rescued by the Germans, but exact figures have not been calculated here.

There are no information about deserters, but I think it will be impracticable to desert from a U-boat in open sea, unless the entire crew does so taking the vessel with them.

papalou5x and sniper1946 like this.
  3. papalou5x

papalou5x Member

Thanks, ram. Almost clears it up. The idea of deserters, of course, could mean while on leave. I could think of a number of scenarios involving that idea (great idea for a flick, no?) Dedicated as they were, I hardly think there was not a single deserter in 40,000 men! Human frailty being what it is, that would be truly incredible, don't up think?

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

From what I've read, the KM U-Boat service was a highly respected and desciplined service, extremely tight nit and fraternal. I'm not saying that there weren't any desertions during the course of the war, but if they were, they were few and far between.

5. papalou5x

papalou5x Member

Gotcha. I agree. One last thought. Hitler's Navy: U-boat War, a b&w doc, states "of 40,000, 5,000 were captured, 28,000 KIA." So I imagine the figures tossed about are pretty dead on (no pun) accurate.

6. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

I wonder how many were killed by the French Resistance? A dozen, two dozen, three..?