Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

UFO Fragment or Piece of WW2 Aircraft?

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by George Patton, Oct 21, 2016.

1. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

Just saw this story today:

Towards the end of the sensationalism, you'll find this:

Can anyone pin down what aircraft part this would have been? Or could this be a piece of aluminum from the Burma Spitfires that were being transported on the Nazi Gold Train?

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I read this a couple of days ago. The only dating given this object is the depth in the ground, and the other 'date-able' objects near it. Of course, an aircraft part plunging to the ground can bury itself.

Even so, I can confidently identify the object as a framulator lid from a class two Orion starship, probably dating to the second epoch of the lizard people.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Are you sure I would have sworn it was Clingon?

[​IMG]

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

One radiometric dating is never conclusive. You take several and determine the results based on those together. Five readings of 70 years old and one of umpteen thousand would be good reason to go with 70 years.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Saw a similar thing during a long UFO documentary on the Roswell 'event'. A older guy felt there had to be small debris in the crash site area that can be detected by a meter detector. Sure enough he found a small misshapen piece of metal. Turned out to be from a 1930's era aircraft.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's very interesting. I would never have guessed that aliens are using 1930's era aircraft for inter-galactic travel. You learn something new every day.

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

What would be more interesting is figuring out what plane was actually lost on that property, assuming the artifact was not planted there.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

UFO was mentioned in the title, so this must be free fire.
    In the late 1800's, there were reports of cigar type airships, which years later may have been considered zeppelin - ish.
    Tethered hot air balloons were not unheard of, so seeing a moving one would not be too conspicuous.

Today's equivalent might be seeing a blackhawk helicopter that makes no noise.

(aaand, saw 3 blackhawks and a chinook flying over the city yesterday. that never happens. took a picture but they are so far away)

10. OpanaPointer

I love Roswell. Mac Brazell, who had peaked as a cow poke, learned that there was a reward for UFO evidence. He remembered a bunch of trash he'd seen in the high country two weeks earlier and decided to try his luck. He told the police that he'd found some strange stuff out there. He reported finding string, balsa wood sticks with blue markings on them, aluminum foil, and sheet rubber. This was what was printed in the Roswell paper the next day. From that bit of fluffery we get "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Try his luck- what was his reward
    don't really care...the odds are so in favour of other life...Anyone smarter than Hawking here

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

To me, it looks like a "hinge" that would operate the flaps on a plane.

[​IMG]

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Couldn't they carbon date it, or is that prohibitive

edit- duh

14. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

No. Carbon dating only works on organic materials. That's how they got the age for this, by dating organic materials near this hunk of metal. The problem there is that the metal object, even though it's at the same depth, isn't automatically associated with the materials around it. There's many ways a metal object can get buried in the ground. A trench, or just sinking in the mud... who knows?

16. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I understand it was "a virtual cheque for 2,000 karma's (already sent via virtual mail).. And a virtual tshirt." A lot of that going around.
    Guess ol' Mac went back to cow poking.

Poppy likes this.
  17. OpanaPointer

Why would aliens come here? If they're out there, something I feel sure of, they are a long way off if they're in this galaxy. More than about 100 light years (a tiny bubble in this smallish galaxy) and they wouldn't know we were here. In another galaxy? They'd be millions of lightyears away.

18. OpanaPointer

There was no reward for finding a pile of trash. The Public Affairs officer who authorized the press release without clearing it with his CO was mightily embarrassed when calmer heads looked at that junk without preconceptions. His commanding general was ... unhappy.

19. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Life on other worlds (or space travel from such worlds) is just unfounded speculation, no different than idle theories about the metric system or the female orgasm.

20. OpanaPointer

True, but with 2,000,000,000,000+ galaxies known now to exist and ... many ... planets possible in each galaxy we come up with [mumble] chances for life to form elsewhere.