Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Uncle served with German Army- MIA

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Black5Golf, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

My uncle was recruited by the German Army during WW2 (he was a German Romanian). I have tried to track down where his unit was at the fall of Berlin since my mother thinks his unit was on it's way to defend Berlin. I am hoping that someone knows how to go about finding where his unit may have ended up. His remains were never found..... would like to put some closure on this for my mother- 78.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

5Golf
    USMCR
    Desert Storm
    usmc1811@netzero.com

2. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

My uncle apparently died in Germany near the end of the war. My mother believes that his unit was sent to defend Berlin. I am hoping someone knows how to go about tracking down German soldiers. I would like to give my motehr some closure.

Thanks.

5Golf
    USMCR
    Desert Storm
    usmc1811@netzero.com

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hello Black5golf and welcome.

Do you have any idea what kind of unit he was with? Arty, Infantry, SS? There were Rumanians with the Dutch SS units. Remnants of these fought their last battles north of Berlin in the last days...

Erich likes this.
  4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

What was his name and where was he recruited

5. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Thank you for the message and sorry to respond so late. His name was Kurt Both- he was recruited while in Romania. I will be able to provide more information after the holidays. thanks.

6. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Thanks for the message... here is what i know based on some feedback from my Uncle. (My mother and uncle disagree on several things regarding is last months)
    32 SS-Duivision "30. Januar"
    Fought from Jan to may 1945 on Eastern Front- west of Fuerstengerg- Frankfurt/Oder
    Were hit hard in the battle around halbe
    He was sent to Breslau where he was inducted in to the SS- August 1944
    Last known address: ss-panzer grenadier Ausbildungs Battalion 18
    ss- kaswerne hamburg-langenhorn. II. Wachkompanie, maschien
    engewehr schuetze

Thank you for any help you can provide. Phillip- 5Golf

7. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

My apologies- here is more information-
    Kurt Hermann Karl Both
    Left Schaessburg August 26, 1944 to Vienna and then Breslau to be inducted in to the SS. From there sent to Hamburg to train as a machine gunner.
    Last known address:
    3. SS Panzer Grenadier Ausbildungs Battalion 18
    SS-Kaserne Hamburg- Langenhorn. II. Wachkompanie, Maschienengewehr Schuetze (32. SS-Duivision "30. Januar")
    My uncle believes he may have been captured by the Russians.

Thank you for any help.

Phillip- 5Golf
    usmc1811@netzero.com

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

If he fought in Halbe it is unfortunately very possible he died in the battles fought there. Got any date for last contact?

World War II | Deutsche Welle

9. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Last letter received by him as 28 March 1945. Said he was to be sent to Hungary to fight the Russians. Apparently his division was sent to to fight the Russians to the east of Berlin. I know his roommates names- not sure what happened to them- Otto Glatt from Timisoara/Romania and Klaus Abraham from Schaessburg.

Uncle thinks 3 scenarios:
    Sent to Brinkum and may be one of 9 casualties that were not identified after they were buried.
    Captured by Russians- most like killed being an SS soldier
    Died fighting in Berlin.

The confusion is where did he go after his 28 March letter- he never talked about his officers for obvious reasons.

Thanks.

10. sommecourt

sommecourt Member

11. Jan7

Jan7 Member

12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

One possibilty is that your uncle got trapped in the Festung Breslau which ended up being surrounded by the Russians. However Breslau was still fighting when all the surounding places had surrendered (I don't have the data here but if I remember correctly that was March 1945). It is east of the Oder in Silesia. If he managed to stay near the Oder, then it is possible that his unit withdrew to defend Berlin, but since you said he had orders to defend Hungary I would rather think that he was on his way when he was reasigned to defend Breslau, probably because the way to Hungary was cut from Silezia anyway and defending Breslau was a priority for Hitler.

13. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Thank you all for your help. Is there a website or place to go to see about German POWs- Either Russian or English? I know this a big leap but can never hurt.

Happy Holidays!

Thanks.

Phillip

14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

15. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Skipper has some good leads, but for US custody am not sure but it should be possible in the US national archiv micorfilms. It might be a huge long shot but your researching so that is important that you take your time and do not be frustrated........

good luck to you

E ~

16. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Thank you for your support. Phillip

17. Minamikata

Minamikata Member

Maybe they can help you?

ITS-AROLSEN.ORG | Welcome!

In German it's called 'Suchdienst' which means 'searching service' you can ask them for help by filling out an application to search a person. They say they have more than 50.000.000 records.

Take care!

18. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Thank you. The site seemd more for prisoners of war or those that suffered under the Nazis but I will still try. Thank you for your help. Phillip

19. bigfun

bigfun Ace

very interesting! Black5, welcome! and good luck on your search, keep us posted!!

20. Mathsmal

Mathsmal Member

If you want to post a request for information, this forum is focused on German POWs:

Forum

The site also has quite a bit of information in German and English on POW camps.