Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Uncle served with German Army- MIA

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Black5Golf, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Thanks for the new link. I just received a letter from the ITS in Germany with no relevant information so I will try this one.

2. izi

izi Member

Have just seen that you were linked to questions I had been asking about my father.
    Have you had any luck with your search ??
    If I can help at all, please let me know...

3. Nordwind511

Nordwind511 Member

Hello Black5golf,

first some informations about the unit of your uncle:
    In February 1945 all available troops of the 32. SS Grenadierdivision "30. Januar" were instructed to the front, so also the units of the 32. already formed: so also the SS-volunteer-infantryman-division „30 January “, the engineer battalion and units of the regiment „Schill “. Only at the end of of February was used the division as a closed formation. In March the division fought near Vogelsang against superior Soviet forces. Then the unit went on 12 April 1945 as army reserve into the area near Seelow. The attack of the Red Army on the Seelower heights led to the inclusion of the 9th army, and also the 32. SS-division. At the night of 28. on 29 April the rest of the division broke off the boiler. On 3 May the last soldiers of the unit that surrendered by itself to the 102. US infantry division near Tangermünde. If some of the soldiers who surrendered itself to the US-troops been send back to the russians - I don´t know.
    Many regards
    Michael from Germany

4. Nordwind511

Nordwind511 Member

You remember his last letter from 28. march of 1945. Does the letter includes the Army postal service number (it would be a number on the envelope) - if so please, so we could find out which unit we were searching for.
    Michael

5. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Hi Michael,

I hope Black5Golf will see your post. Unfortunately, his last post was February 14th, 2008. Perhaps, he has not posted and comes by to view and will be able to make use of the information you have given.

6. Black5Golf

Black5Golf Member

Hi Black5Golf here.... i know it has been over a year, my apologies as there has been so much going on. I am trying to get that letter and see the information. I hope you are all still on here.

I appreciate all the help and information. I will get back to you soon.

Thanks.

Phillip
    usmc1811@netzero.com

7. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Found those informations, but i don´t know if this is your relative. And i don´t know if they called him Karl or Kurt?

Both
    Karl
    Born:

Todes-/Vermisstendatum:
    Place of death:

Nowotrotzkoje ( POW-Camp)