Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unidentified Ribbon

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Duck_Soldier, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Duck_Soldier

Duck_Soldier Member

I'm trying to identify a certain military rbbon. The color stripes are as follows from left to right:
    Thin red/thin white/thing blue/wide yellow/wide red/wide yellow/thin blue/thin white/thin red.

Can anyone identify this ribbon?

Thanks

2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

It doesn't sound like any US federal ribbon. Can you post a photo or diagram of it?

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Doesn't seem to be American or British. I will also agree that you should post a picture or a diagram.

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I know what ribbon it is. It looks like a Silver Star with a yellow stripe down the middle. Every six months or so there is a thread asking to identify it. It's a VFW ribbon. I think if you search the site for "Mystery Ribbon" or "can't identify this ribbon" or "unknown ribbon" you'll find a picture of it. I'll poke around in my links and see if I can't find a reference.

5. Duck_Soldier

Duck_Soldier Member

Attached Files:

6. Duck_Soldier

Duck_Soldier Member

Someone at another forum site told me they thought it was the Fleet Marine Reserve Medal from the 1930's.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think you are correct. I was only looking at post WW2 medals and ribbons. The Fleet Marine Reserve was only authorized until 1938. See here Fleet Marine Reserve Medal

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Sounds about right. A picture and brief history are here: Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal Ribbon

Can also be found on Wikipedia under Reserve Good Conduct Medal.

formerjughead likes this.
  9. Jumpmastereast

Jumpmastereast Member

[h=2]Duck_Soldier here you go on some information from wiki. You where correct, today they changed the name. It is the Reserve Good Conduct Medal similar to the active duty one.

Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal[/h] First created in 1925 as the Fleet Marine Reserve Medal, this is the oldest of the Reserve Good Conduct Medals. In 1939 the name of the medal was changed to the Organized Marine Corps Reserve Medal. In 1984, the award adopted its current name. As of January 1, 1996, the qualifying period of service was changed from four to three years to mirror the requirements of the Good Conduct Medal. Additional awards are denoted by bronze service stars.

Reserve Good Conduct Medal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. Jumpmastereast

Jumpmastereast Member

TD my bad didn't read your post before I went for a reply, dang cherry here, I will do 100 push-ups later for you.