Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Uniform ID request

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Dave55, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I came across this picture on the net and was wondering what service the hats with the eagles on them represent.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

4. Dave55

Dave55 Member

They look almost like the insignia on the US Coast Guard officer hats of the era but not quite.

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

6. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

I thought it might have been some official Merchant Marine, but looks as though the Skipper has nailed it down!

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I wasn't 100% sure at first because the eagles feet in the OP pic are apart holding olive branch and arrows like the National Eagle, the paining in Skips picture has the feet together and holding an anchor.

This is the WWII version of the US Coast Guard hat insignia.

[​IMG]

I think Skipper is right, it is a variant, but haven't found an example that proves it.

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

9. von Poop

I started with coastguard, and went all around their houses, but still can't quite see a direct match with the GM leaflet's badges Dave started with. There's a great many similar types across US services, but nothing precisely on the money.

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Again the pictures you just posted have the eagles feet together holding an anchor, as did your original photo of the gentleman with the painting and the photo I posted of the WWII hat badge. All same-same. All of the eagles shown in the original post have the eagles feet spread, holding olive branches and arrows.
    I think the variant is the one shown in the OP's pictures, because any I've seen match Skipper's painting. I thought it might have been a pre-war type but Skippers newest picture, of an officer from 1934 shows the same "feet together with anchor", makes that less likely.

11. von Poop

The curse of national insignia, isn't it. So many eagles, so many very similar, but I'd say still nothing that exactly matches, and the devil's in the detail.

[member='R Leonard']
    [member='T. A. Gardner']
    [member='Owen']

12. von Poop

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I wonder if they could be civilians wearing a naval-style uniform in some official capacity with the Navy? Civilian advisors to the navy wearing naval uniforms so they would blend in a bit more easily and to carry more authority in the technical area related to the diesel engines?

14. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I was thinking along those lines too. The man in the bottom row third from the left seems to have a lieutenant bar on his collar though and I didn't think GS employees wore them.

15. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I think Jeff and VP's first post were on the right track. The link in Post #2 does discuss how the Detroit Diesel Division trained servicemen as well as civilians, so that would explain why some are in uniform.

Also, the shape of the black background on the insignia is not consistent which might suggest they were not manufactured in large quantities.

16. von Poop

Which would also help explain why it's proving so hard to pin down an apparently somewhat niche insignia!

17. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's what I was thinking.

I located 2 of the 3 listed as "Killed in Service": Orvin L. Vyse (Tank Corps) and Robert A. Wishart (Army Air Corps). Not sure that helps the matter at hand as it seems their Honor Roll lists every company employee that served in the military.

18. Patriotchild

Patriotchild New Member

First time poster and hopefully someone will notice it, since it has been some time since this subject came up. Hi, I wanted to learn more about my dad's tshirt insignia. Actually, I was hoping I could find a reproduction tshirt to wear on appropriate events. But I have had a problem finding the insignia on his shirt. I'm posting a picture (hopefully) so someone can help me. I think the cap medal picture is very similar as the insignia on Dad's shirt. But the shield below the eagle is different? [​IMG]